The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Undocumented Features / Idiosyncrasies

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
I would like to nominate this thread as contender for the "Most well intentioned but also most sharky-jumpy."
Screenshot_20230425-210135.png

Last edited:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, I learned a new old word today.

GAOL | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary​

1682484376164.jpeg
Cambridge University Press & Assessment
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › gaol

7 days ago — gaol meaning: 1. old-fashioned for jail 2. old-fashioned for jail.

Which is correct gaol or jail?

Gaol is an outdated spelling that is rarely used.

Both forms have been used over the past few centuries, but today, only jail is commonplace. Since gaol has an O in it, like the words old and outdated, you can use the word's spelling as a reminder that it is no longer current.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Cut the wires to the female seatbelt sensor and splice them together to complete the circuit. The dash light will never come on again nor will the vehicle "sulk"*. Wear a seatbelt if and when you choose to do so.

If worried about re-sale, purchase a new spare female seatbelt and set it on the shelf for when the day comes.

*I haven't seen an actual wiring diagram but I doubt it's any more complicated than this. Returning to lurk mode...
Almost missed this post which seems to be a bit off topic by now. Nice idea!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score

GAOL | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

View attachment 7809430

Both forms have been used over the past few centuries, but today, only jail is commonplace. Since gaol has an O in it, like the words old and outdated, you can use the word's spelling as a reminder that it is no longer current.
"Gaol" is preferred spelling in proper English speaking nations ...UK, Australia, New Zealand.
"Jail" is favoured in the USA ...because the spelling was made famous by Elvis Presley around 1956 with "Jail house Rock"👮‍♀️ and since Elvis was USA "royalty" then what "The King" said, became the norm...😎

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7809430

I thought that was an Aussie idiosyncrasy. 'Gaol' most often referring to the facility/noun; 'Jail' to the action/verb. Probably due to the former remaining on maps/official documents etc...?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7809430

They are called Correctional Centres now.
But still have Gaol carved in the entrance stone.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
Cut the wires to the female seatbelt sensor and splice them together to complete the circuit. The dash light will never come on again nor will the vehicle "sulk"*. Wear a seatbelt if and when you choose to do so.

If worried about re-sale, purchase a new spare female seatbelt and set it on the shelf for when the day comes.

*I haven't seen an actual wiring diagram but I doubt it's any more complicated than this. Returning to lurk mode...
Wearing seat belts is compulsory on a public highway in the UK. As is using a mobile phone in your hand against the law. These are 2 of the most prosecuted motoring offences, after speeding.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
151 proof Rum is 75.5% and is very flammable, and not allowed to be taken on a plane (70% max) old Pussers Navy gunpowder rum 54.5% used to be on British navy ships as if it was spilled and wet the gunpowder it would still work (it used to be called Blue label Navy rum). Must spirits are around the 40% mark.
Hm, during the Corona period sometimes disinfectant liquids were sometimes sold out entirely and I did mix it myself using polish spirytus lubelsky 95% proof .. this is alcohol suitable for drinking if thinned to suitable levels and
I also have IPA isopropanol.. , none of this has flame arrest’s
I ve got a few more nice stuff here highly flammable..
Since I am reloading and do some work outside.. there is a lot more on not just flammable stuff to be stored but also transported..
People operating off-road and operate in rural and remote areas are quite often confronted with rather dangerous situations and work with harmful tools and substance that is part of the life we did choose.
of course any of us was taught one time, by parents, military service, volunteer works, courses, other.. how to do certain things.. sometimes we just had quite some luck to avoid a risk by making experience
And there are both idiots not reading instructions, overestimate own abilities or remove safety functions because they seem to hinder.. as long as this is just for themselves may be.. but what if other people work with it not knowing?
I would never cut off any sensors on seat or buckle locks.. when I use the male plugs in the buckles it’s me who decided to do so.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, during the Corona period sometimes disinfectant liquids were sometimes sold out entirely and I did mix it myself using polish spirytus lubelsky 95% proof .. this is alcohol suitable for drinking if thinned to suitable levels and
Since I am reloading and do some work outside.. there is a lot more on not just flammable stuff to be stored but also transported..
People operating off-road and operate in rural and remote areas are quite often confronted with rather dangerous situations and work with harmful tools and substance that is part of the life we did choose.
of course any of us was taught one time, by parents, military service, volunteer works, courses, other.. how to do certain things.. sometimes we just had quite some luck to avoid a risk by making experience
And there are both idiots not reading instructions, overestimate own abilities or remove safety functions because they seem to hinder.. as long as this is just for themselves may be.. but what if other people work with it not knowing?
I would never cut off any sensors on seat or buckle locks.. when I use the male plugs in the buckles it’s me who decided to do so.
You should have just used dumbass Donald's recommendation and drunk bleach.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought that was an Aussie idiosyncrasy. 'Gaol' most often referring to the facility/noun; 'Jail' to the action/verb. Probably due to the former remaining on maps/official documents etc...?
I must live in another part of Australia to you lot. 😂😂

I haven’t seen anyone use the spelling “gaol” in 20 years. It’s spelled “jail” in just about everything.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I must live in another part of Australia to you lot. 😂😂

I haven’t seen anyone use the spelling “gaol” in 20 years. It’s spelled “jail” in just about everything.
let me amend my comment above to note - other than when gaol’s note themselves as gaols. 😉😂😂

Actually as Dave said, most now refer to prison or correctional facility.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
let me amend my comment above to note - other than when gaol’s note themselves as gaols. 😉😂😂

Actually as Dave said, most now refer to prison or correctional facility.
Ah, we can all relax and agree to blame the French (again): Old Northern French gayol versus Parisian French jaile.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
When I was maybe nine years old, sand was delivered to the construction site of our house. So I built myself a volcano: digged a tunnel horizontally at the bottom and a vent upwards, done.

Now he only had to smoke and spit fire. So straw and pieces of wood in it and lit. And he smoked, very nice.

But where was the fire?

Quickly fetched a cup of kerosene and poured from above onto the glow. Still smoke but no fire. So I told my brother to blow hard into the horizontal tunnel and closely looked at the glow from above. My brother than blew hard and WHOOSH, a big flame came out of the vent.

And I got a free haircut and was rid of my eyebrows for a while.

Learning by doing.

BTW: the sand was delivered without a flame arrestor.

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
So I have a question...

On another forum it was mentioned that when the car transmission is in Neutral with motor running, and the drivers door is then opened, the transmission automatically shifts into Park.

Can an final production unit owner confirm this ?

And also if the same happens when in Off Road Mode - or does that mode defeat the everyday safety, similar to the seat belt situation.

Additionally, can the car be started in Neutral without being in the car (by reaching through an open window) and will it stay in Neutral without the parking brake on.

Asking for a friend, was regarding winching scenarios.

Thank you !

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So I have a question...

On another forum it was mentioned that when the car transmission is in Neutral with motor running, and the drivers door is then opened, the transmission automatically shifts into Park.

Can an final production unit owner confirm this ?

And also if the same happens when in Off Road Mode - or does that mode defeat the everyday safety, similar to the seat belt situation.

Additionally, can the car be started in Neutral without being in the car (by reaching through an open window) and will it stay in Neutral without the parking brake on.

Asking for a friend, was regarding winching scenarios.

Thank you !
@Ingemar answered that question on this forum. I assume he was on the other forum or someone on this forum posted it on the other forum. The answer is yes, the car will go into park if you open the door. Ingemar indicated that on should put the car in neutral and turn off but right away turn the car back on. The car will allow you to stay in neutral and open the car door. I would guess that their is an easier way similar to backing up with your door open. You put car in neutral and open door. The car goes into reverse, shut door and put car in reverse and open door again. That will leave the car in reverse. This is the way for BMW and Land Rovers to drive with door open.

Back
Top Bottom