The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Undocumented Features / Idiosyncrasies

AWo

Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
A friend of mine drives a Volks-Porsche "VoPo" Porsche 124, re-importet from the US. It has the same seatbeltbucklefeature.

So, that is quite old technology....from the 1970's.

Cheers
AWo

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
Hmmm, with no.1 this was one of the things I was hoping they would avoid. I know there is legislation etc. but I dislike being infantilised. The car refusing to move because a seatbelt is unfastened could be dangerous. And what if the circuit that tells the car the seatbelt is fastened fails. The car will have effectively broken down because of a seatbelt clip. It's just a bugbear of mine, Cars constantly beeping at you without the ability to shut them up. I often reverse boats down slipways when launching and you don't want a seatbelt. Jumping in and out, tying and untying ropes and starting boat engines etc. Plus if it is a steep and algae covered slipway you don't want to be strapped into the car if it ends up in the drink. So I am glad there is the offroad switch for this. Might have to drive it in offroad mode all the time. ;-)
Just keep a seatbelt clip in the car to slot in for use when reversing a trailer etc?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just keep a seatbelt clip in the car to slot in for use when reversing a trailer etc?
Almost every hunter has a buckle clip to get rid of the parenting feature.. so I ve got two of these in my disco to allow driving w/o seatbelts.
There are even combitools with bottle opener.. at Amazon.. . :ROFLMAO:

I got mine from a car ready to be scrapped. Cheapest way.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Almost every hunter has a buckle clip to get rid of the parenting feature.. so I ve got two of these in my disco to allow driving w/o seatbelts.
There are even combitools with bottle opener.. at Amazon.. . :ROFLMAO:

I got mine from a car ready to be scrapped. Cheapest way.
I love that the warning of them says "Do not use" - can't make that up. sic transit gloria mundi...

Top Cat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm, with no.1 this was one of the things I was hoping they would avoid. I know there is legislation etc. but I dislike being infantilised. The car refusing to move because a seatbelt is unfastened could be dangerous. And what if the circuit that tells the car the seatbelt is fastened fails. The car will have effectively broken down because of a seatbelt clip. It's just a bugbear of mine, Cars constantly beeping at you without the ability to shut them up. I often reverse boats down slipways when launching and you don't want a seatbelt. Jumping in and out, tying and untying ropes and starting boat engines etc. Plus if it is a steep and algae covered slipway you don't want to be strapped into the car if it ends up in the drink. So I am glad there is the offroad switch for this. Might have to drive it in offroad mode all the time. ;-)
I can see a male (can I still say that?) seatbelt fitting being carried as standard work around!!

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
We could push for a mod with an “FGR” mode - Farming / Gated private road / Rescue… disabling the seat belt requirement. The Discovery 3 could be disabled from seat belt alerts by inserting and releasing the driver’s buckle nine times before starting the engine. Perhaps it’s in ther somewhere…..🤔

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I love that the warning of them says "Do not use" - can't make that up. sic transit gloria mundi...
To be frank I give a damn.
It is common sense to buckle up when on road. - I do not a reminder nor parenting or other shite. The person permitted to drive a vehicle, operate an aircraft or other device - or even a firearm should know about security features and estimate risk and should be able to act responsible.

But when I operate in my hunting area I am mostly driving in very slow mode, that is not needing any difflocks or offroad mode or whatsoever. - I am perhaps on a restricted agricultural road maybe even with tarmac but not wider than the Grenadier. There is a trap I need to check, there is something else that catches my attention, there is a branch of a tree fallen across .. there is this or sometimes only a chat with a farmer or a person walking the dog.
In this case every couple of yards buckle off buckle on is simply :mad: just to check if there is some damage on crops or what to look for. Not understanding that certain safety items simply hinder use..
No offence - but this is a fashion from the US where common sense topics were used to sue companies at court to make these liable and pay astronomic sums of compensation for their dumbness or some lawyers making business on product liability.
Balance between real technical fault and releasing a product that is really dangerous even for people with common sense and safe acting people and idiots who put their pets in a microwave to dry or do not know that coffee or tea is usually a hot beverage and blame the vendor for not explaining this. (What should be a common sense topic)
A firearm is potentially deadly. This is the meaning of the device.. nature of an "arm" by name- So get a firearms operation course first.. before touching such an item. Common Sense. The same with a vehicle. Read the fine manual. Remember driving lessons. Know your capabilities and more important limits as a driver and the the same for the vehicle being operated.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
this is a fashion from the US where common sense topics were used to sue companies at court to make these liable
Unfortunately correct. That's what lead to the 10 gazillion warnings in the manual and a warning like "Do not use" on the dummy buckle.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No offence - but this is a fashion from the US where common sense topics were used to sue companies at court to make these liable and pay astronomic sums of compensation for their dumbness or some lawyers making business on product liability.
You are 100% correct!!! Just search the Blitz gas can company in the USA.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are 100% correct!!! Just search the Blitz gas can company in the USA.
Hm.. this is a strange case. - Flamestoppers at a jerry can / fuel canister? To be sure .. never heard of such a device.
I possess Bundeswehr / Military tyoe canisters. all metal, green.. with a detachable filler.. cannot imagine a flame stopper there.. and there is something common sense this means keep em closed. - When I refuel a car, a chain saw, cutter then its switched off and no flame, electrics, smoking or anything else that could cause a problem anywhere.
When I need to carry additional fuel with the Grenadier I will store it in a way that it will be safe until put in Grenadiers fuel tank where it will be (slow or fast) be eaten up by the powertrain hopefully causing only sufficient fun for me. And the car is not like a HAL 9000

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
We could push for a mod with an “FGR” mode - Farming / Gated private road / Rescue… disabling the seat belt requirement. The Discovery 3 could be disabled from seat belt alerts by inserting and releasing the driver’s buckle nine times before starting the engine. Perhaps it’s in ther somewhere…..🤔
So the bottle opener clip is in fact a programming tool ...?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hm.. this is a strange case. - Flamestoppers at a jerry can / fuel canister? To be sure .. never heard of such a device.
I possess Bundeswehr / Military tyoe canisters. all metal, green.. with a detachable filler.. cannot imagine a flame stopper there..
I think that "flame arrestor" is actually a wrong phrase. It is not possible to "stop a flame" when I pour gasoline into something.

Perhaps they mean the little air snorkel in the spout. This snorkel not only serves to allow the liquid to come out of the canister without bubbling, but also to absorb the air/gas (literally) from the tank. So there is a 1:1 exchange of air/gas from the tank with the gasoline from the canister. That's at least the concept.

If there is no such snorkel, the explosive mixture from the tank goes somewhere - but not back into the canister.

Perhaps the Blitz cans didn't have such snorkels. A guess, however.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please will the first person who finds out how to disable the seatbelt feature post it here!
Just a shory tripbto Naples, and you will know how. Plug the seatbelt and seat over. That's simple. BTW more radical... they sell seatbelt plug without belt... many people do that everytime, but this is really stupid. Accettable in conditions like the ones exposed above...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I possess Bundeswehr / Military tyoe canisters. all metal, green.. with a detachable filler.. cannot imagine a flame stopper there.. and there is something common sense this means keep em closed. - When I refuel a car, a chain saw, cutter then its switched off and no flame, electrics, smoking or anything else that could cause a problem anywhere.
When I need to carry additional fuel with the Grenadier I will store it in a way that it will be safe until put in Grenadiers fuel tank where it will be (slow or fast) be eaten up by the powertrain hopefully causing only sufficient fun for me. And the car is not like a HAL 9000
There's a variety of cases they were involved in - some of which they are certainly culpable - but...

1-"he was trying to start a fire in a burning barrel in October 2013. He believed he had failed to get the fire going, so he decided to pour some gasoline into the barrel to make it easier." (blamed the can)
2-"the child was playing in the backyard and managed to pick up a gas container that the father had just placed on a patio table. The child was able to remove the gas container's cap and carry the container into a nearby storage room. (blamed the cap - not the fact that a man left an unsupervised child alone with an unsupervised gas container)
3-"The plaintiff in the Utah case tried to start a fire in a wood-burning stove inside a trailer home by inserting the nozzle of the gas can into the stove and pouring gasoline onto the fire. The plaintiff was severely burned and his 2-year-old daughter was killed by the resulting conflagration." (blamed the can not having a warning saying not to do that)

Tort reform is so needed here.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Idiots at work.

The bad thing is that we all have to suffer from such morons. We are put into playpens just like them and left behind infantilized.

The lowest common denominator is supposed to ensure that even the biggest fools survive safely. What comes out of it, we see in our society.

Back
Top Bottom