The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Undocumented Features / Idiosyncrasies

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
America will put a flame arrester on just about anything...

View attachment 7809414
:oops: seriously on a bottle of this stuff .. and flammable warning too?
I ve got a a few bottles of rum, mostly A.H. Riise danish in varying strength
but there are no warnings except do not drink And drive or a pregnancy symbol which is crossed.. even this is way over..
In the EU there are already habits about tobacco products and more and more regulation on other item.. but this is nearly unbelievable. but I ve seen such a cap already and wondered about its purpose.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
:oops: seriously on a bottle of this stuff .. and flammable warning too?
I ve got a a few bottles of rum, mostly A.H. Riise danish in varying strength
but there are no warnings except do not drink And drive or a pregnancy symbol which is crossed.. even this is way over..
In the EU there are already habits about tobacco products and more and more regulation on other item.. but this is nearly unbelievable. but I ve seen such a cap already and wondered about its purpose.
151 proof Rum is 75.5% and is very flammable, and not allowed to be taken on a plane (70% max) old Pussers Navy gunpowder rum 54.5% used to be on British navy ships as if it was spilled and wet the gunpowder it would still work (it used to be called Blue label Navy rum). Must spirits are around the 40% mark.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
151 proof Rum is 75.5% and is very flammable, and not allowed to be taken on a plane (70% max) old Pussers Navy gunpowder rum 54.5% used to be on British navy ships as if it was spilled and wet the gunpowder it would still work (it used to be called Blue label Navy rum). Must spirits are around the 40% mark.
What a great reasons to carry hard liquors 😂

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Accidents and mistakes are often related to a human factor but ...

A foreign worker at a packaging machine almost lost his hand somewhere in Belgium (I was the translator!) because of a manipulation mistake.
His hand was saved, but he can't work anymore with his hand. Has kids, his wife doesn't work, can pay his mortgage anymore. Will probably get "some" money after the trial.

I saw the report of the technical expert: a safety mechanism was removed on the machine, so that he could work faster!

Blame the human!
Not the worker!
The manager (or management) who took the decision. :mad:

I am not against safety mechanisms, but indeed let me decide which safety precautions I take if I am the only possible victim, not if it affects somebody else!

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately we live in a world where we cater to the lowest levels of intelligence, as though because some people are stupid, we all have to be treated as morons. The entire “Health and Safety” industry is proof of this. The first lesson an apprentice should be taught is “don’t put your finger where you wouldn’t put your…”

Another example: There is an advert on commercial radio at the moment appealing to people who have lost money by sending funds to overseas scammers fronting as fake profiles on dating sites. Why should people so stupid be entitled to compensation? If you are that stupid you deserve to lose your money and one way or another, we don’t deserve to be paying it back. 😂

Hold on, do you think this was Jim R’s plan all along and have we all been scammed?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
.... The first lesson an apprentice should be taught is “don’t put your finger where you wouldn’t put your…”
I don't know if I understood very well the essence of your message, I agree with your message above, but ...

If you re a boss or the driver of a bus, you can't only say "hey guys, be careful". Humans get tired, can become distracted, etc.

I almost lost a finger during holidays when I was a student, working 12 hours a day for a very low salary for a carpenter who was a friend of my parents. Very interesting job (not the wage).
But, one evening, tired, during a routine work with an electric rotating saw, I made a mistake. I have a very small loss of "meat" at my finger, nothing more. Nobody notices.

I knew the machine and the dangers, my father had a similar (non-professional) one. But I did put my finger where it shouldn't have been!

Therefore, in a professional environment or in an environment with a lot of "other people" (on the roads) it is OK to have some rules, legislation etc. The right balance between over regulation and no regulation is indeed a difficult exercise.

Almost nobody complains about speed limits nowadays. When they began to introduce them systematically in my youth, my father, who was opposed to regulation said: "I know what will stop accidents due to speed: limit the speed to 0 km/h."

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Accidents and mistakes are often related to a human factor but ...

A foreign worker at a packaging machine almost lost his hand somewhere in Belgium (I was the translator!) because of a manipulation mistake.
His hand was saved, but he can't work anymore with his hand. Has kids, his wife doesn't work, can pay his mortgage anymore. Will probably get "some" money after the trial.

I saw the report of the technical expert: a safety mechanism was removed on the machine, so that he could work faster!

Blame the human!
Not the worker!
The manager (or management) who took the decision. :mad:

I am not against safety mechanisms, but indeed let me decide which safety precautions I take if I am the only possible victim, not if it affects somebody else!
Unfortunately it is extremely rare that there is only one victim.
This is why we have laws that say you have to wear a seatbelt, you have to wear a helmet when on a bike, scooter or motorbike.
Safety light curtains and lockouts have to be in place.

If someone refuses to wear a helmet on a motorbike because it is their head so their risk then they are kidding themselves.
They fall off an crack their skull then some poor citizen finds them and has to deal with the immediate response.
Then an ambulance comes and maybe someone else in need misses out and dies.
The ambulance staff have to deal with the injuries, then the emergency ward (again somebody else has to wait in the queue) then the hospital bed and maybe an operating theatre.
All those staff and resources and again somebody else waits in the queue or worse goes backwards in the queue
It goes on and on all because one selfish person didn't do the right thing.

You correctly pointed out the flow on from a workplace accident and that is why we often get senior managers and company owners in court and gaol (Jail for the US viewers)

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
Please will the first person who finds out how to disable the seatbelt feature post it here!
Cut the wires to the female seatbelt sensor and splice them together to complete the circuit. The dash light will never come on again nor will the vehicle "sulk"*. Wear a seatbelt if and when you choose to do so.

If worried about re-sale, purchase a new spare female seatbelt and set it on the shelf for when the day comes.

*I haven't seen an actual wiring diagram but I doubt it's any more complicated than this. Returning to lurk mode...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
America will put a flame arrester on just about anything...

View attachment 7809414
A friend of mine lives on a small farm just up the road. At happy gatherings around a bonfire , and after a few beers and wines he tends to pour a moderate amount of petrol into an empty bottle of Stones Green Ginger wine , screw the cap on partway, and place the bottle in the coals. Until it boils...voila , a cheap Roman candle.
Nobody has yet lost a bollock.
He is a mechanical engineer and has repaired , bodged and ridden old British motorcycles his whole life. Accident free.
9 lives left for him , and he's in his mid 60s.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Therefore, in a professional environment or in an environment with a lot of "other people" (on the roads) it is OK to have some rules, legislation etc. The right balance between over regulation and no regulation is indeed a difficult exercise.
There is a simple distinction which helps a lot: If I decide on my own to do something or to use a tool, I am responsible for what and how I do it.

If others decide that I have to do something in a particular way and with particular tools, and I have to do it because it's my job, then those others are also responsible for safe conditions.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
he first lesson an apprentice should be taught is “don’t put your finger where you wouldn’t put your…”
The boolean conclusion would then be "only put your finger where you would put your…”, ... is it?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So you were the inspiration for the movie cocktail
I was admittedly aiming for some combination of that and the Rob Lowe saxophone-playing louche from St Elmo’s Fire.
I’m sure the only things I successfully inspired were hangovers and regret.

Back
Top Bottom