The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

U.S. highway cruising speed

Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the design balance with off-road and highway travel allows an efficient cruise? What I’m getting at is - I’m in North Texas and moving along at 75-80 mph is daily on the highway/interstate to get between Point A and Point B. Does the power to weight aspect allow this or is it something to be determined, and is a negative effect on MPG? Probably too early to tell.. Thanks.

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the design balance with off-road and highway travel allows an efficient cruise? What I’m getting at is - I’m in North Texas and moving along at 75-80 mph is daily on the highway/interstate to get between Point A and Point B. Does the power to weight aspect allow this or is it something to be determined, and is a negative effect on MPG? Probably too early to tell.. Thanks.

Local time
Reaction score
It is not a EV. I don’t own one yet but I would suspect best cruising speed is somewhere around 70. At best you should hope for 15-20 mpg at any speed. Power will be more than enough

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
Pushing a brick through the air isn't going to be fuel efficient. Also, I've noticed in my Kia that there's a sweet spot around 75, which is the new 55 that was around for decades. Going over 75 increasingly drains the tank. The faster you go, the faster the fuel gauge drops.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
My Gren drives very sweetly on cruise control on the motorway at 78mph, mpg drops to about 20 from c23.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As the brick moves faster MPG go down but on the positive side - the car directly (and closely) behind you is getting about 100MPG!!
Technical term is "arse drafting"

not to be confused with a "drafty arse" which occurs frequently after a mutton vindaloo.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
As mentioned, the Grenadier has the drag coefficient of a brick. Drag increases according to the inverse square law...double the speed and the (aerodynamic) drag /wind resistance increase x4. This becomes significant above 50 mph. At 75-80 mph the rpm is approx. 2100-2300 rpm in top gear which is well into the flat torque curve (1750rpm-4000rpm for the B58 petrol engine), so the vehicle should pull like a freight train in 6th, 7th and 8th gear at those speeds! However, at 80mph the drag is approximately 2 1/2 times the drag at 50mph with a significant increase in fuel consumption. 3 tonnes is a healthy mass to steer at approx. 120 feet per second!

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
My old Defender 110 the same shape as a Grenadier had a sweet spot at about 65mph

The Grenadier should be better because it's higher geared in cruise. At 65mph the Defender was at about 2,700 rpm

Local time
Reaction score
It cruses at 70 no problem even 80 but the drag goes up with the square of the speed so you have choices but there is plenty of power there what ever engine choice .

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Everybody who has his own sweet spot at 70 or 80 mph should really test the car (not only the Grenadier) on a longer run with different speeds but same conditions (freight/weather/tyre pressure).
The real sweet spot will be somewhere between 55 and 85 km/h (35 - 55 mph). As DenisM wrote, you can not trick the drag. of course a Corvette might have the sweet spot at a higher speed. But generally you can take the highest gear with the lowest rpm possible for smooth driving. Somewhere there will be the best speed for driving most economic. I didnt calculate that for the Grenadier, but I am sure someone will.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You will be driving a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a washing machine - so the milage looks abysmal for normal 15MPG and at 70-80 mph it will be much worse. I had a Cayenne Turbo for 3 years and loved it - especially the sound - but the better it sounded (high revs/speed) the milage was horrific....I think I was averaging 12mpg at best...

Local time
Reaction score
l've currently got a new Defender which isn't exactly aerodynamic and at around 70mph l can get close to 40mpg.

lt's a similar engine to the Grenadier (3.0 Diesel MHEV) and similar weight.

l wouldn't expect the Grenadier diesel to match that, because of the more traditional drivetrain and original Defender style bodywork but at a steady 60mph l am willing to bet it will do over 30mpg.

Local time
Reaction score
Also l am talking U.K. gallons which are larger than US gallons of course.

A U.K. gallon is 4.5 litres while a US gallon is 3.7 litres.

So if you are getting 20mpg in the US that's equivalent to around 25mpg in the U.K.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe something more military? A troop, platoon, etc?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A peloton company of Grens!

Back
Top Bottom