The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

US MPG Data point

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
I took the opportunity on my highway drive home from the dealer to capture some MPG data.

Computer Indicated MPG: 18.3 MPG
Manually calculated MPG: 16.8 MPG

Conditions: Interstate 5 North from RTGT thru Portland to WA. Minimal Traffic.
Average ambient temp: 45F
Total Distance: (measured gas station to gas station) 207 miles
**Gasoline Consumed: 12.3 gallons (measured on the 2nd fill up.) 92 Octane
Total time: 3 hr 4 mins and change
Average Speed: 67.1 MPH

Majority of the drive in cruise control at 70mph in the right lane. (truck is incredible but I'll save those comments for a write up)
65MPH: 8th Gear @ 1800 rpm
70MPH: 8th Gear @ 2000 rpm only twice on long uphill sections (didn't check the pitch angle) did the truck kick down to 7th @ 2400 rpm

** Edited to include the gasoline consumption.

Last edited:

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
I was told the computer gets more accurate with time. You need a few tanks through it for it to get accurate. Not sure how true that is but I haven't been monitoring my fuel burn. I will start at the next tank though.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think the mileage may improve slightly after the engine wear in period. This is NEW mileage. Picked up with 14 on the odometer. Sitting around 330 right now.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These numbers are a huge improvement of the Discovery 2 I’m replacing. At a minimum, 48% improvement and 100 miles of additional range.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I would say that your numbers are within margin of error, for what the vehicle is.

You can run the tires rockhard, and increase it a fraction, or run them softer and decrease it a fraction.

I have a jeep Cherokee sport, that is about a 7/8 scale of the Grenadier, and a 4.0 straight six, normally aspirated. And after almost 300,000 miles, the first 200,000 generated 20 miles per gallon highway without much inside the vehicle and 15 around town. Very dependably. And then as it got older and clearances opened up, it dropped down to 17 or 18 on the highway, and mixed used tank after tank right around 15.
Winter or summer. 1” lift, factory tires.

Someone will pop up and say otherwise, but because they look so much alike, you are moving a thing that is just a little bit smaller through the air . So the numbers recorded compare favorably to the 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport. Which was a fine vehicle to drive.

No miracles in the fuel economy world.

Another similar profile for comparison is the Jeep Commander, but I‘m not sure of their numbers. Other than the market response was unfavorable to them.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Jeep 4.0 straight 6 - one of the greatest engines ever.
My grenadier is parked next to my '02 TJ with the 4.0. Such a great reliable engine and so easy to work on. I'll miss some of that simplicity if I ever let her go... I have over 5 offers from family and friends to take it off my hands 🤣

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The comparison to Jeeps should not be disregarded.
It takes a certain amount of energy to push a certain frontal area through the air.
It is why so many sedans took on the “worn bar of soap look”.

Over the last 25 years, in the 4wd, 6 cylinder, arena, the average fuel economy progress has been almost nothing.
You can move your peaks around, but the long term averages have stayed flat.

I’m OK with that, as a decked out Silverado added 1 mpg, and Fords eco boosts added 2 mpg In that time.
Just not much juice left in that squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom