The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Insurance Data Point

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Edit** @Stu_Barnes I think this is an appropriate sub-forum for the content, please move otherwise.

I reached out to USAA for an insurance quote on the Grenadier. Although I do have a VIN assigned the automated system via their website was unable to recognize it or the make/model. This was remedied with a phone call, key highlights are bulleted below.

- Vehicle Location: Washington State
- Agent had no idea what the vehicle was, although she seemed to enjoy the google image search
- Agent was able to manually associate the quote to my VIN.
- 6 month policy terms were approximately 2x my older Wrangler, but substantially cheaper than a competitively priced New Defender
- I included liability, comprehensive ($500 deductible) and "New car replacement assistance" which provides +20% in the event of a total vehicle loss
- Included rental car coverage (economy) in the event of a cover incident
- The purchase value of the vehicle I provided was $84K (in line with the build sheet via configuration on website)
- Approximated 8k miles of annual use (seems low to some, but I am keeping the Jeep for a few months of over lap)

6 month policy total of $664.34 or $107.72 monthly.
($96 of this 6 month total is the "new car replacement assistance"*

Granted insurance is case specific to the driver profile, company bundle/discounts, and required state covers; I still wanted to share what I view as a good data point for over all cost of ownership. I have yet to reach out to other insurance providers.

*This coverage was recommended to me by a friend who works in insurance, not the agent on the phone, so I directly inquired about it. I expressed some concerns about not being able to replace my truck in the worst case scenario which would be a covered total accident BUT no pre-order price stability etc.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's not bad. Once I get my VIN I'll reach out to my agent and report back. I'm with PURE.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Follow up:

Someone or some process at USAA seems to have evaluated what a Grenadier actual is and how much it would cost to repair. Significant increase in quoted coverages specifically related to Comprehensive and Collision coverages.

Updated Quote was $131.83 per month or a 6 month payment of $797 for the exact same coverages, no change to driver profile, credit score, or claims. ~22% increase.

For transparency I also quoted a 2023 New Defender (closest available spec in Portland, OR) by VIN and the quote for that $78k vehicle was $83.36 per month.

This is no longer true: "6 month policy terms were approximately 2x my older Wrangler, but substantially cheaper than a competitively priced New Defender"

SVP7

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
Follow up:

Someone or some process at USAA seems to have evaluated what a Grenadier actual is and how much it would cost to repair. Significant increase in quoted coverages specifically related to Comprehensive and Collision coverages.

Updated Quote was $131.83 per month or a 6 month payment of $797 for the exact same coverages, no change to driver profile, credit score, or claims. ~22% increase.

For transparency I also quoted a 2023 New Defender (closest available spec in Portland, OR) by VIN and the quote for that $78k vehicle was $83.36 per month.

This is no longer true: "6 month policy terms were approximately 2x my older Wrangler, but substantially cheaper than a competitively priced New Defender"
@Lemon35, I called USAA this morning to get a quote and the representative I spoke with didn’t see Ineos in his system. He said it might take a few more of us to request insurance before they are able to load it into their system as a brand on their pulldown menus. I didn’t get a quote/waiting until I get closer to delivery which I am ~30 days from.

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
I got quote from USAA on 10/6. No Grenadiers in their system, but used weight of vehicle, type, etc. Came in at $1,419 for 6 months. I live in Denver. Have 3 other cars on the policy. Was dang pricey! So ~$230/month.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I got quote from USAA on 10/6. No Grenadiers in their system, but used weight of vehicle, type, etc. Came in at $1,419 for 6 months. I live in Denver. Have 3 other cars on the policy. Was dang pricey! So ~$230/month.
For you sake I hope the quote for Denver hasn't gone up 22% as well.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's not bad. Once I get my VIN I'll reach out to my agent and report back. I'm with PURE.
I have Pure as well. Hopefully it's not a crazy difference between my 2022 E53 AMG and the Gren. MSRP is similar for both.

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Called USAA again (~5-6 weeks after last quote). Using VIN, vehicle weight, etc. Came in at the same. incremental$ 1,419 for 6 months. In Denver (where rates are high, and do have a teenage son on our policy). They really have no data on IG. Cost is hugely driven by comprehensive and collision areas, where I believe they anticipate (a) expensive parts, (b) hard to find, (c) requiring longer and more costly repairs.

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Allstate just gave me a quote without a VIN number using $79k as a base price at $1400/6mo.

Local time
Reaction score
That $1400/6mo quote was for St. Louis city where no Kia or Hyundai is safe for being stolen.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Following up on this as I prepare to take delivery Wednesday.

USAA added INEOS to their system which allowed me to use the full functionality of the drop down menus when adding to vehicle to my policy. A welcome change from the back and forth phone calls.

6 month policy is ~$690 which seems pretty competitive in my personal search.

Best of luck to those taking delivery soon.

Local time
Reaction score
Following up on this as I prepare to take delivery Wednesday.

USAA added INEOS to their system which allowed me to use the full functionality of the drop down menus when adding to vehicle to my policy. A welcome change from the back and forth phone calls.

6 month policy is ~$690 which seems pretty competitive in my personal search.

Best of luck to those taking delivery soon.
Looks like a good deal. Unfortunately, USAA seems only to be available for those with a military connection. Any other companies that were close to this quote?

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Rupert. I hope to have my VIN on Monday so I can start shopping for insurance. I’ll report what I find.

IG_LA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Progressive Insurance $1653 @6 mos. ($683 down + $245/month 4 months). LA, CA.

Anybody who already has their insurance could share information on their full coverage x monthly payments?

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
$585/6 months. Progressive. My other cars are with PURE.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area (Arlington to be specific) with State Farm.

Same coverage quoted vs my 122k mile 2014 FJ Cruiser on Feb 13th:
Gren: $160/mo
FJ: $88/mo

BUT... even though I had my VIN, they were clueless and had to reach out to an underwriter at HQ. Who knows what the real $number will be if I take delivery.

Local time
Reaction score
Insurance is tricky. All insurance companies have algorithms and it’s hard to find out why they’re quoting numbers that they’re quoting. My situation is I am married, in my 60s, retired, largely self insured, bundle with two other cars, house and umbrella personal liability policy, and will probably hand over a check to my dealer. I’ve had Allstate for the last 15 years and with my VIN, the first quote was around $1500 per six months with a deductible of $1000. I ask him to go to 2000 deductible and dropped under insured motorist, towing and car rental. That dropped the six month premium to around 1100. I live in St. Louis city where there are lots of Kia and Hyundai being stolen and so rates are high. I called State Farm, who were much more reasonable, at around $650 per six months. The final quote came from AAA, which was the best of all. See attachment:
1708998096040.png
AAA requires one membership per household, which is roadside assistance, and the basic membership is on sale for $49/year (50% off for a few months, see website).

These quotes can be manipulated by decreasing deductible and decreasing coverages from the 250/500k level. Spend some time with the insurance company quoter to find out how you can get the quote cost down to a reasonable level.

Carolinaride

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Edit** @Stu_Barnes I think this is an appropriate sub-forum for the content, please move otherwise.

I reached out to USAA for an insurance quote on the Grenadier. Although I do have a VIN assigned the automated system via their website was unable to recognize it or the make/model. This was remedied with a phone call, key highlights are bulleted below.

- Vehicle Location: Washington State
- Agent had no idea what the vehicle was, although she seemed to enjoy the google image search
- Agent was able to manually associate the quote to my VIN.
- 6 month policy terms were approximately 2x my older Wrangler, but substantially cheaper than a competitively priced New Defender
- I included liability, comprehensive ($500 deductible) and "New car replacement assistance" which provides +20% in the event of a total vehicle loss
- Included rental car coverage (economy) in the event of a cover incident
- The purchase value of the vehicle I provided was $84K (in line with the build sheet via configuration on website)
- Approximated 8k miles of annual use (seems low to some, but I am keeping the Jeep for a few months of over lap)

6 month policy total of $664.34 or $107.72 monthly.
($96 of this 6 month total is the "new car replacement assistance"*

Granted insurance is case specific to the driver profile, company bundle/discounts, and required state covers; I still wanted to share what I view as a good data point for over all cost of ownership. I have yet to reach out to other insurance providers.

*This coverage was recommended to me by a friend who works in insurance, not the agent on the phone, so I directly inquired about it. I expressed some concerns about not being able to replace my truck in the worst case scenario which would be a covered total accident BUT no pre-order price stability etc.
My quote with usaa is very similar with my VIN. It seems in line with other vehicles of the same price point.

Back
Top Bottom