The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Turning Radius

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
Saw a video on Facebook where a guy removed a specific bolt on both sides by the axle that allowed the vehicle to have a better turning radius. Said they used to do this on old Land Rovers as well and it doesn't cause any harm.

Anyone heard of this?

Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
Saw a video on Facebook where a guy removed a specific bolt on both sides by the axle that allowed the vehicle to have a better turning radius. Said they used to do this on old Land Rovers as well and it doesn't cause any harm.

Anyone heard of this?
Can you please post the video or where to find it.
Thank you

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
It's a fair question, but do read the thread that Krabby linked to then pause a moment and consider why a manufacturer would release a vehicle with a stop bolt if it wasn't actually necessary. The stops are fitted and adjusted to prevent damage in the front axle and steering system if the steering angle is exceeded. Removing or adjusting the stops is not a modification you want to do on this vehicle due to the different axle setup versus a Defender (CV joint versus Cardan joint).

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
When you think you have come to the end of the lock try turning a little harder and you will find another quarter turn or so roughly...whatever turns you on :ROFLMAO:

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
On the old Defender you could adjust the steering lock stops.

They were adjusted so the wheels didn't touch anything on full lock, but if you only had the standard wheels it was possible to take around 1 metre off the turning circle.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I won’t be adjusting mine for now, but I will watch carefully what others do and see how it works out for them over time, if it seems to cause no issues I would be tempted at some point in the future.

Local time
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear... we are talking about a turning radius of 13.5M (or 44')?

One day I'm all in....then I read something that causes the smell of burning brakes in my brain.

Example:

Ford F250 Crew Cab with a length 20.5' is 28' turning radius. (tow cap of 20k lbs)
Cayenne with a length of 16' is 20' radius (tow cap of 7.7k lbs)
Grenadier with a length of 16' is 44'???? (tow cap of 7.7k lbs)

If I pull the switch on this it doesn't seem to be a towing option for us (ie: boat ramp or many campgrounds). I'll have to check the lake but sounds like I need an empty 3 lane ramp or a pull through campground:(

@Jean Mercier You likely encounter much narrower situations than I would. Do you tow and how is it getting around the city?

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear... we are talking about a turning radius of 13.5M (or 44')?

One day I'm all in....then I read something that causes the smell of burning brakes in my brain.

Example:

Ford F250 Crew Cab with a length 20.5' is 28' turning radius. (tow cap of 20k lbs)
Cayenne with a length of 16' is 20' radius (tow cap of 7.7k lbs)
Grenadier with a length of 16' is 44'???? (tow cap of 7.7k lbs)

If I pull the switch on this it doesn't seem to be a towing option for us (ie: boat ramp or many campgrounds). I'll have to check the lake but sounds like I need an empty 3 lane ramp or a pull through campground:(

@Jean Mercier You likely encounter much narrower situations than I would. Do you tow and how is it getting around the city?
Turning circle is 44’ so your turning radius is 22’

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
I don't tow, but indeed, beware like @Rab said: radius is half the circle.

That said, the turning circle is indeed not the best: there are some places where I did it without any problem with my Suzuki Grand Vitara, while now I need two movements. But I don't need to do that every day.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't tow, but indeed, beware like @Rab said: radius is half the circle.

That said, the turning circle is indeed not the best: there are some places where I did it without any problem with my Suzuki Grand Vitara, while now I need two movements. But I don't need to do that every day.
Thanks. Now that I have been set straight on the circle I'm comfortable with a few feet more (I think).
I envisioned that I needed a football field to make a U turn.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sure, most of us can adjust or not really care, but a smaller turning radius is very important when you are off-roading trails with hairpin turns or switchbacks, or needing to turn around in tight areas. Quite often I need to turn around on two track trails because they are not going anywhere for me. (or I made a wrong turn!). That's where a 90 inch wheelbase comes in handy.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sure, most of us can adjust or not really care, but a smaller turning radius is very important when you are off-roading trails with hairpin turns or switchbacks, or needing to turn around in tight areas. Quite often I need to turn around on two track trails because they are not going anywhere for me. (or I made a wrong turn!). That's where a 90 inch wheelbase comes in handy.
@Jeffrey : You raise an interesting, and to my mind, very important issue and that is the emerging stark distinction between what the US market might expect from the Grenadier and what the IG design philosophy intended.
Inevitably there will be comparisons with the Jeep Wrangler models which have evolved to tackle largely "technical" terrain.
The Grenadier was designed as a working vehicle" farming, forestry, towing machinery...
It will lend itself to overlanding and touring in terrain normally classed as "inhospitable" to 2wd and "softroaders".

I fear that there will be a lot of US buyers with "buyer's remorse" unless they purchase the Grenadier for the uses for which it was intended, not necessarily for what it "might" achieve with considerable modification.

Back
Top Bottom