The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Trickle Charger hookup location

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
@anand That certainly is a bummer… I’m used to a National Luna solenoid in my defender, so I guess I’m going to have to learn / adapt to modern systems. The more I think over this system, the more it seems appropriate to run the fridge and other ancillaries off of the aux battery. I remember a thread where someone was re-wiring the 12 volt outlets and aux switches over to the second battery. This seems like the better solution.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
If you have the aux battery option that should work via the smartpass trickle charge feature. I'm unaware if @nuclearmonkey has that option so I was aiming for a solution that would work for everyone.
I connect my solar panel via an Anderson plug wired directly to a D250S solar input.
Yes, me too now for the solar. Have been looking at AC/shore power though so we can use the vehicle for comms (Starlink) while parked but have held off so far as I couldn’t find a suitable 240V/110V charger in Oz. Thinking I’ll run it to the auxiliary/store it beneath the rear seat.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@anand That certainly is a bummer… I’m used to a National Luna solenoid in my defender, so I guess I’m going to have to learn / adapt to modern systems. The more I think over this system, the more it seems appropriate to run the fridge and other ancillaries off of the aux battery. I remember a thread where someone was re-wiring the 12 volt outlets and aux switches over to the second battery. This seems like the better solution.
Again, without derailing too far, there's nothing keeping anyone from taking out the CTEK isolator and replacing it with something of their choice to make the system work the way they would like it to

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Why would you do this when there is a nato plug?
My understanding is that the NATO plug is off when the engine is off. Also, you’d still need a charger to step from shore power to 12v.

I think the main idea is that the charger is inside the vehicle so that it can’t be stolen / simpler plug and charge setup when on the road next to shore power.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, me too now for the solar. Have been looking at AC/shore power though so we can use the vehicle for comms (Starlink) while parked but have held off so far as I couldn’t find a suitable 240V/110V charger in Oz. Thinking I’ll run it to the auxiliary/store it beneath the rear seat.
Presently touring with solar input via a roof outlet that i rewired direct to the D250. For shore power have a ctek 10amp charger that I connect to the 13pin trailer plug via it's permanent 12+ and neg pins. Both work well for my purpose.

I also have a fridge running on the Aux battery via victron smart battery protect that i power up using the wiring of an overhead power switch.

What I have noticed is with engine off I need to switch 'on' the main above head panel switch and in doing so this must also power up other unknown features as overnight this will considerably drain the start battery.

On my return from present trip will investigate either switching alternatives for when parked up or replace the ctek set up with something else, perhaps redarc or I see Renogy have a new 50amp dc to dc with IP67 rating that is similar.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Presently touring with solar input via a roof outlet that i rewired direct to the D250. For shore power have a ctek 10amp charger that I connect to the 13pin trailer plug via it's permanent 12+ and neg pins. Both work well for my purpose.

I also have a fridge running on the Aux battery via victron smart battery protect that i power up using the wiring of an overhead power switch.

What I have noticed is with engine off I need to switch 'on' the main above head panel switch and in doing so this must also power up other unknown features as overnight this will considerably drain the start battery.

On my return from present trip will investigate either switching alternatives for when parked up or replace the ctek set up with something else, perhaps redarc or I see Renogy have a new 50amp dc to dc with IP67 rating that is similar.
With the ignition off that master switch overhead switch powers up the front console and rear outlets along with accessories on the other overhead switches. Perhaps you know that already?

We drew power to the loadspace also from the vacant pole on the primary busbar (eg the one allocated to the OEM inverter), and for the fridge from the spare circuit allocated to the absent compressor on Ineos’ design.

We have these outside the ‘master’ switching circuit at present, something that I’m in two minds about.

All however are drawing from the primary battery so that the auxiliary is then the ‘protected’ supply… reinforced in our case as mentioned above by solar and/or AC power where available. Not the typical setup but it’s working so far using OEM components plus the D250SE, well and an AC-DC converter when I find a suitable (ie that can be used globally) unit.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see there are quite a few 12v conversion kits available for Starlink roaming/mobile. I haven't looked into them enough to know the pros and cons. It's down my list of to-do's. Telco Antennas and Cowfish both offer 12v solutions.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see there are quite a few 12v conversion kits available for Starlink roaming/mobile. I haven't looked into them enough to know the pros and cons. It's down my list of to-do's. Telco Antennas and Cowfish both offer 12v solutions.
Yes, we’ve got a neat all-in-one solution from Star Mount waiting for us in San Diego.
Idea is to run it off the 25A roof outlet.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Use the lifting eye bolted to the top of the engine as the ground point. On the diesel, it's under the engine cover, RHS about 2/3 of the way towards the rear. Very obvious once you remove the cover.
I stumbled upon this image in a US MY24 work order on the NHTSA website here.
Posting the image to add to @DenisM's instructions above.

1714125223380.jpg

Back
Top Bottom