The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
The hitch hight seems a little high for me was going to bolt a drop plate on.
Not in the UK you can't unless it has Type Approval or your insurance will be invalid. The only vehicles with Type Approval tow bar drop plates (to my knowledge) are the Defender (old style) and I think one of the Toyota pickups

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Not in the UK you can't unless it has Type Approval or your insurance will be invalid. The only vehicles with Type Approval tow bar drop plates (to my knowledge) are the Defender (old style) and I think one of the Toyota pickups
Nothing a CNC flame cutter or water jet won't sort out then of to the galvanisers = sorted

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So why is the 2" receiver fitted to both variants if it's not so called type approved why fit it ??? Why not fit an approved solution for either variant.?
Seems like one standard is fitted to all variants, so it can be adapted to each country's requirements. Then there is only one part to manufacture.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Firstly was that to the centre of the towball and I presume that this was a PT02 vehicle. The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the tow ball height (to the centre of the ball) should be between 350 and 420mm from the ground with the vehicle in a 'laden' state.
"The height requirement shall not apply in the case of category G off-road vehicles as defined in the Consolidated Resolution on the Construction of Vehicles (R.E.3) (document TRANS/WP.29/78/Rev.3, para. 2)"

Addendum 54: Regulation No. 55 "Uniform provisions concerning the approval of mechanical coupling components of combinations of vehicles"

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Seems like one standard is fitted to all variants, so it can be adapted to each country's requirements. Then there is only one part to manufacture.
👍

Looks that way ~ the "Vertical Towing Interface" forms the core structure for 3(?) separate towing systems and is type approved in each market as required.

Local time
Reaction score
👍

Looks that way ~ the "Vertical Towing Interface" forms the core structure for 3(?) separate towing systems and is type approved in each market as required.
Or not seems you can't fit a 2" receiver to the Belstaff editions.

Local time
Reaction score
👍

Just got this back from Ineos so is it yes or no.

"
I asked my technical team about your enquiry regarding whether the two inch receiver hitch on the tow plate are type approved for use in the UK with a Trialmaster version.

They came back with the following ;

"To my understanding it is not approved for towing in the UK, we do not offer this as an option in the U.K."

I hope this helps you further in your interest in the Grenadier, we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
For those who have doubts about the trailer hitch height, I could make the picture below at my dealer today (no towball mounted yet), height is about 42 cm to the lower part of the plate, or 17 inches.

View attachment 7804064
next question:
what is the size of the square hole?
and how deep is the shaft?
cross holes to insert a lock?

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
In Germany we can buy plug-in couplings with an E mark, which means they are permitted
or do you mean that the existing installation has no approval?

Local time
Reaction score
In Germany we can buy plug-in couplings with an E mark, which means they are permitted
or do you mean that the existing installation has no approval?
Sorry I didn't know that so it's approved in Germany? Ineos just told me its not.

Local time
Reaction score
You can fit it but as not approved for M1 vehicles could be a problem in the event of a claim or accident. For N1 vehicles you can use a 2” receiver hitch as far as i understand.
You can get marked 2" couplings in germany

Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom