The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
What do the D and the S ratings on the tow hook represent. Can you tow 3500kg with that ?

S values​

The "S" value is a rating measured in kg and represents the maximum vertical load which can be applied to the Towing Jaw/hitch. This is also known as the "nose load".

All type approved towing brackets must also show this value on their respective manufacturer's label. The vehicle manufacturer's hand book will also give the maximum "S" value which can be applied to the rear towbar mountings; the actual vertical load which can be applied to the hitch is the lower of the two values.

With regard to the trailer nose load, this should not be confused with the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of the trailer. The nose load of a trailer is the amount of weight that the trailer exerts on the vehicle's tow hitch. Therefore a hitch which has an "S" rating of 260kg is capable of a nose weight of up to 260kg (subject to the towing vehicle's towbar limits - these are normally significantly lower), and has no reference to the total weight the towbar is capable of pulling. This metric is defined by the "D" rating; see below for details.

Please click here for more information (link opens external website in new window).

D values​

The "D" value is a rating measured in kN which reflects the dynamic loading limits between a towing vehicle and a trailer. (Wikipedia)

The "D" value of a Towing Jaw determines the gross weight combination of the towing vehicle and the trailer that can be used with that particular jaw.

The "D" value is calculated as follows: D = 9.81 × (T × C) ÷ (T + C)
T = Towing Vehicle Weight - GVW
C = Trailer Weight - GVW
9.81 = Gravity

For example, a towing vehicle of 3500kg GVW combined with a trailer of 3500kg GVW would require a towing hitch with a "D" value of:

9.81 × (3.5 × 3.5) ÷ (3.5 + 3.5) = 17.167

Historically, the maximum GVW of an LCV was 3500kg and the maximum GVW for an over-run brake system is 3500kg - hence why a "D" value of 17kN is still common.

Important Note:
If a Towing Jaw with a "D" value of 17kN is fitted to a towing vehicle having a GVW greater than 3500kg, then the permitted trailer weight will decrease accordingly. Use our calculator below to work out what you are permitted to tow.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't know that so it's approved in Germany? Ineos just told me its not.
Up
Your right the 2" tow draw has an E mark but the Ineos socket doesn't have type approval in the UK or EU for a 2" draw. Therefore you can't tow with it in an M1 in the UK or EU your insurance will be void

Local time
Reaction score
Up
Your right the 2" tow draw has an E mark but the Ineos socket doesn't have type approval in the UK or EU for a 2" draw. Therefore you can't tow with it in an M1 in the UK or EU your insurance will be void
So there ids no way to lower the tow hight of the ball this is stupid how on earth are we supposed to know what's what why don't IA just block its off or weld it up or put a sticker on it

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So there ids no way to lower the tow hight of the ball this is stupid how on earth are we supposed to know what's what why don't IA just block its off or weld it up or put a sticker on it
Ineos only supply bolt on tow hitches in the U.K. If you want to fit anything else then it’s up to you to understand the rules I guess

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As previously said in this thread, IA have manufactured a standard piece for all markets. This 3 in one is the used as a mix and match for the appropriate market

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They supply 2" receivers on UK models I have seen them on showroom customers vehicles
The receiver hitch is there on all models but can’t be used in U.K. and EU on M1 models to fit a towing hitch.
As far as I’m aware 2” receiver hitches could only be used on the N1 Grenadier models. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Maybe Ineos have got type approval for the 2” receiver hitches on M1 vehicles but have not communicated yet. If that’s the case then happy days for all of us. 😎

Local time
Reaction score
The receiver hitch is there on all models but can’t be used in U.K. and EU on M1 models to fit a towing hitch.
As far as I’m aware 2” receiver hitches could only be used on the N1 Grenadier models. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Maybe Ineos have got type approval for the 2” receiver hitches on M1 vehicles but have not communicated yet. If that’s the case then happy days for all of us. 😎
Have a ticket in with IA so far their not sure very vague first answer Ill keep you posted.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Almost all of them can pull 3500 kg, but I haven't found - so far - any that can support 350 kg vertical load
You need to be careful in referring to the 3,500 kg pull, as it's the D value that really matters and this depends upon both the pulled weight and the weight of the pulling vehicle (the formula referenced above).

The "for example" you quote above states:

trailer load: 3,500 kg
D value: 14.0 kN

so would not be suitable for the Grenadier.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For me the spec‘s are:
Car + trailer max 7000 kg
trailer ( - vertical load ) max 3500 kg
vertikal load to the tow hitch 350 kg
so I can put a trailer on ( when the vertikal load is 350 kg ) with a full weight when not attached of 3850 kg
if The towing car has full weight not more as 3150 kg

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Firstly was that to the centre of the towball and I presume that this was a PT02 vehicle. The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the tow ball height (to the centre of the ball) should be between 350 and 420mm from the ground with the vehicle in a 'laden' state.

I am not worried about single axle trailers, they are only 0.75T.
Not quite true. My 1980 Westfalia is1.2t.
You probably think of trailers without brakes. They are indeed limited to 0.75t.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not quite true. My 1980 Westfalia is1.2t.
You probably think of trailers without brakes. They are indeed limited to 0.75t.
True, there are some IWT (Ifor Williams Trailers) that are single axle braked trailers, circa 1t. Sorry it's just my mind set that equates single axles to the
0.75t variants

Local time
Reaction score
Up
javascript:;
Almost all of them can pull 3500 kg, but I haven't found - so far - any that can support 350 kg vertical load

There is an E Mark on the towing hitch what are we supposed to believe cant get a definitive answer out of Ineos.
e2.jpg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
javascript:;

There is an E Mark on the towing hitch what are we supposed to believe cant get a definitive answer out of Ineos.
View attachment 7805397
The 3 in one tow bar (2" draw pin, NATO and 2" ball) has approval for use in all world markets. My understanding is that in the UK ( and possibly EU) the only mode that has type approval for M1 vehicles is when it is fitted with a 2" ball. I don't know for N1

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
They have stated it will be a 50 x 50 for Australia and obviously will be wired for Australia.
Do you have any correspondence about this from Grenadier ? I am just about to sign the contract ( 9 March 2023 ) and it specifically states " Class III 1-7/8" NAS Tow Hitch and electrics "

Local time
Reaction score
Do you have any correspondence about this from Grenadier ? I am just about to sign the contract ( 9 March 2023 ) and it specifically states " Class III 1-7/8" NAS Tow Hitch and electrics "
No only for europe where I don't live.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If the M1 is only available with the ball for £35 you can just get one of these…

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Justin Hocevar states it in a video interview and he also told me personally (there were 3 or 4 other customers there also) at my drive in Perth

Back
Top Bottom