The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Thanks - out of curiosity I just measured my new defender (US) and it is 17" to the bottom of the tow hitch hole. From your picture the IG hole starts about 20". So the IG tow hitch looks like it is 3" higher than a new defender. Very good to know.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
Possibly, I also won’t ever tow anything close to 3.5 tonnes, I personally think it’s madness to tow anything heavier than the tow vehicle, for me about 2.5 tonnes and 250kg ball weight is the most I would contemplate.
Each to their own! I regularly tow a 2.6 ton excavator on an 800kg twin axle plant trailer.

V8 diesel range rover sport pulls it and stops it very confidently. Engine breaking from the RRs 6 speed is efficient enough when coupled with the trailers brakes.

I wouldn't be happy towing it with a 4 cylinder double cab pick up though. Looking forward to the Grenadiers towing manners as its similar power to the RR, but with 2 more gears and more weight

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
The adjustment holes seem to be different diameters .
4 one size 2 larger.
Yes, they all are made for special usage. I think the lower ones are for the European solution (ball) the upper four for a clutch/hook (don’t know the English word, sorry) and the rectangular hole for the Oz and US adapters. Does that make sense to you?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The air suspension systems adjust their height automatically though.

The INEOS has to account for being loaded up, and with ball weight of a trailer, all with steel springs.

We know the rear axle articulation is really good for a vehicle with its payload, so it makes sense the hitch starts higher and will "droop" to accommodate the spring rate. As soon as mine turns up ill hitch my 3.5 ton set up on the back and take some snaps

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Yeah springs are an interesting one. Since we found out a while ago that they have varying springs they can apply given various accessories you add to the vehicle, I’m surprised, and a little disappointed, that you can’t nominate say springs to cater for 200kg extra weight in the back based on your intended use. It’d save modifying it soon after delivery. Given the suspension is apparently so well sorted perhaps just getting airbags added will do the job for towing or loading up.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ifor Williams trailers recommend tow hitch at 485 to 535mm. I must admit that when I checked I was surprised
I don't believe that figure. I Googled it, but it doesn't look right especially when compared to the EU regulations. I think something was lost in the searching. I have 3 IWTs so when I get a chance I'll dig out the actual manuals.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
what happens when the trailer hitch is 50 cm high, the IG is not loaded and I am attaching a 3.5 to trailer with a vertical load of 350 kg.
does the IG stand on the street like a boat accelerating?

Back
Top Bottom