The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
I noticed in the detailed spec Australia RRP price list that the factory supplied towbar features a Class 3 1-7/8" NAS hitch.   Not sure if this is a UK centric sizing but, if so, then this could be an issue for those in Australia.   1-7/8" is 47mm.   In Australia a Class 3 hitch is nominally 40x40mm and Class 4 hitch is nominally 50x50mm (what everyone calls 2").   Checking Hayman Reece drawings the OD sizing of the square towbar fitting that slides into the hitch is actually 50.8mm (2").   The issue here is that the standard Class 4 fittings that most everyone uses in Australia may not fit the supplied tow hitch from Ineos.  Might only be 4mm but could prove to be interference fit (no go).  Obviously this needs to be confirmed with Ineos but it would be pretty ordinary to fork out $740 for this option if it were not compatible with Australian fittings that most of us will have already, or will need to swap with others as is required from time to time.
Probably also need to check details of the associated electrics.
Hopefully this is something that Ineos Australia sorts out and is a local fit but might be an issue if factory fit.
Be pleased to hear from any gurus out there who may have been through this situation on other UK marques.

Local time
Reaction score
Could be a huge issue! Definitely needs a proper heavy duty hitch. I am sure this will be the case and the Aussie brochure is using UK terminology. 

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
I see the Aussie Price List details the availability of "Towing Mounting Plate - Front" at a cost of $620. I would love to have this option available in the UK - can anybody give me any more information? 

Local time
Reaction score
What is that option. Towing mounting plate - front ??

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apparently not available nor legal in the UK but available for Australia and possibly some other markets, it would appear to be a front mounting plate for either a 2" receiver hitch or a towball. As I'm very regularly involved with boats and other trailers, I would have loved to have had this as an option.

Local time
Reaction score
This is a screen shot from the Hambach factory video Looks like a 2" receiver is bolted onto the rear crossmember like the extra webbing eroded to it it is thick steel 4MM sets solid when tapped this one is fitted with a NATO plug the green thing to the left of the hitch. 

Christian

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some dimensions measured on the Abenteuer und Allrad. The range in height is 50-58cm. 

Attachments

• 20220617_131950.jpg
    20220617_131950.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220617_131925.jpg
    20220617_131925.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 74

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
> Apparently not available nor legal in the UK but available for Australia and possibly some other markets,

If you have plastic bumpers in the UK you'll likely not be able to mount a "Towing Mounting Plate - Front"-

Local time
Reaction score
Front tow hitch is legal in the U.S. and it's an option on the Ineos website for us, but lists some funky size rating... must be a UK thing. I'm sure that will get worked out before we order. 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
I'm presuming the front tow hitch is also to enable the listed "optional" portable winch to be readily fitted to the front of the vehicle or the rear hitch as/when required...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Front tow hitch makes it easier to launch and recover a boat on the beach and move trailers etc around in tight spaces. 
You would need a Hayman Reece style tow ball insert. 
I definitely don’t want a permanent tow ball on the rear of my vehicle either as I have bashed my shins too many times in the dark 

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=DenisM userid=8875352 postid=1332926743]I'm presuming the front tow hitch is also to enable the listed "optional" portable winch to be readily fitted to the front of the vehicle or the rear hitch as/when required...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that and it also can be useful to manoeuvre trailer, vans, boats, etc into tight spots (not that I've ever done that myself). I also wonder if it could be used to flat tow a grenadier with another vehicle...

Is the portable winch actually selectable for you as an option? I haven't been able to select it in the configurator...

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The "configurator" listed the portable winch "Removable Winch with Tow Mounting Kit - 3.5 Tonnes" Code  VBK   Price Australian $ 4,050
I didn't try to tick that box!?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed in the detailed spec Australia RRP price list that the factory supplied towbar features a Class 3 1-7/8" NAS hitch. Not sure if this is a UK centric sizing but, if so, then this could be an issue for those in Australia. 1-7/8" is 47mm. In Australia a Class 3 hitch is nominally 40x40mm and Class 4 hitch is nominally 50x50mm (what everyone calls 2"). Checking Hayman Reece drawings the OD sizing of the square towbar fitting that slides into the hitch is actually 50.8mm (2"). The issue here is that the standard Class 4 fittings that most everyone uses in Australia may not fit the supplied tow hitch from Ineos. Might only be 4mm but could prove to be interference fit (no go). Obviously this needs to be confirmed with Ineos but it would be pretty ordinary to fork out $740 for this option if it were not compatible with Australian fittings that most of us will have already, or will need to swap with others as is required from time to time.
Probably also need to check details of the associated electrics.
Hopefully this is something that Ineos Australia sorts out and is a local fit but might be an issue if factory fit.
Be pleased to hear from any gurus out there who may have been through this situation on other UK marque
They have stated it will be a 50 x 50 for Australia and obviously will be wired for Australia.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The towing hitch, especially the ball joint, is not height-adjustable. The two upper pairs of holes are smaller in diameter and are not intended for mounting the ball head.
The distance from the ground to the centre of the ball is 53 cm. I have a problem with this.
The double-axle trailers I pull need a height of 40 cm so that both axles are equally loaded.
But I can't just make an adapter plate that screws in between. Because this has not been officially tested and officially approved.
Have any of you had such an issue in the past? What do you suggest?
I cannot adjust the height of the trailer.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Rovie this is what I'm using to drop the ball height.

Thank you, @nd. That's exactly what I meant. But I don't know if something like that is officially approved in Germany. It becomes problematic in the event of an accident.

Back
Top Bottom