The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but it may be actual ball rating as opposed to hitch rating ? maybe?
The pocket guide says maximum trailer nose weight. So I would say that means the hitch and all components are rated to 350kg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
The pocket guide says maximum trailer nose weight. So I would say that means the hitch and all components are rated to 350kg
OK, for clarification, the "S" on the tag is for the ball, so maximum "ball" weight is 337ks

Tow hitch "S" & "D" values explanation​

S values​

The "S" value is a rating measured in kg and represents the maximum vertical load which can be applied to the Towing Jaw/hitch. This is also known as the "nose load".

All type approved towing brackets must also show this value on their respective manufacturer's label. The vehicle manufacturer's hand book will also give the maximum "S" value which can be applied to the rear towbar mountings; the actual vertical load which can be applied to the hitch is the lower of the two values.

With regard to the trailer nose load, this should not be confused with the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of the trailer. The nose load of a trailer is the amount of weight that the trailer exerts on the vehicle's tow hitch. Therefore a hitch which has an "S" rating of 260kg is capable of a nose weight of up to 260kg (subject to the towing vehicle's towbar limits - these are normally significantly lower), and has no reference to the total weight the towbar is capable of pulling. This metric is defined by the "D" rating; see below for details.

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, for clarification, the "S" on the tag is for the ball, so maximum "ball" weight is 337ks

Tow hitch "S" & "D" values explanation​

S values​

The "S" value is a rating measured in kg and represents the maximum vertical load which can be applied to the Towing Jaw/hitch. This is also known as the "nose load".

All type approved towing brackets must also show this value on their respective manufacturer's label. The vehicle manufacturer's hand book will also give the maximum "S" value which can be applied to the rear towbar mountings; the actual vertical load which can be applied to the hitch is the lower of the two values.

With regard to the trailer nose load, this should not be confused with the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of the trailer. The nose load of a trailer is the amount of weight that the trailer exerts on the vehicle's tow hitch. Therefore a hitch which has an "S" rating of 260kg is capable of a nose weight of up to 260kg (subject to the towing vehicle's towbar limits - these are normally significantly lower), and has no reference to the total weight the towbar is capable of pulling. This metric is defined by the "D" rating; see below for details.

And the INEOS pocket guide and the verbal information given by the Australian INEOS boss says the maximum ball weight and trailer nose weight is 350kg.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And the INEOS pocket guide and the verbal information given by the Australian INEOS boss says the maximum ball weight and trailer nose weight is 350kg.
Either way, I won't be towing anything close to that, but it is interesting. Maybe this is an EU spec/regulation?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Either way, I won't be towing anything close to that, but it is interesting. Maybe this is an EU spec/regulation?
Could that simply be because as a heuristic it’s ~10% of max tow weight?
Caveat - I know bugger all about towing, this from calculating what motorbikes I can carry on the hitch.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Possibly, I also won’t ever tow anything close to 3.5 tonnes, I personally think it’s madness to tow anything heavier than the tow vehicle, for me about 2.5 tonnes and 250kg ball weight is the most I would contemplate.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Caveat - I know bugger all about towing, this from calculating what motorbikes I can carry on the hitch.
Yes, not sure if the tag/plate is EU spec. Usually 10% in AU. but we shall see soon enough when one arrives

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes 10% of max tow weight

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Possibly, I also won’t ever tow anything close to 3.5 tonnes, I personally think it’s madness to tow anything heavier than the tow vehicle, for me about 2.5 tonnes and 250kg ball weight is the most I would contemplate.
Couldn't agree more!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also....lets not get started on tow weights and abilities.....leave that for the "Grey Nomads" goodness knows how much discussion has been bounded around their forums over the last few years
:rolleyes:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also....lets not get started on tow weights and abilities.....leave that for the "Grey Nomads" goodness knows how much discussion has been bounded around their forums over the last few years
:rolleyes:
Good point

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting question about the height of the towball, unfortunately I didn't measure the height when I visited with @emax Krah & Enders. I'm currently considering screwing a step onto the trailer hitch. Something like the photo from Amazon

View attachment 7802461
View attachment 7802459
Not a chance I’d tow anything with that contraption. If it’s not a towball mounted to a towbar tongue sitting inside the tow hitch I’m not interested.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
For me it’s interesting,
not so much whether it is now 335 or 350, in germany there must be a sign with the permissible load near the coupling.

by the way, i've never seen a car with such a high nose weight as the grenadier

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For me it’s interesting,
not so much whether it is now 335 or 350, in germany there must be a sign with the permissible load near the coupling.

by the way, i've never seen a car with such a high nose weight as the grenadier
I thought the 200 LC had 350kg ball weight but I might be wrong.

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
The 7840lbs tow weight is something il'l never get near to just good to know it has that capacity.

Back
Top Bottom