The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Top Grear BIG READS -Tough Mudder: will LR Defender owners welcome the new Ineos Grenadier? 19 OCT 2023

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 11.11.26 AM.png

And yet, while the move upmarket may make it an ideal SUV for most people, there are still a select few who just can’t get onboard.
Some of those people might not want to get onboard, but others genuinely aren’t able to thanks to the price of entry (around £63,000 for a 110) and the treatment that their old school workhorses receive. So, what are all of these folk meant to do when their Defenders finally give up the ghost?

Well, that might just be where Ineos comes in. After trying and failing to buy the tooling for the old Defender, chemical magnate and extremely rich man Jim Ratcliffe decided that he would design and build his own take on the off-road icon. Amazing what you can do with a little bit of initiative and a net worth of £29bn, isn’t it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
If you live in a city with tight parking spots and garages you will hate the steering. If not now then soon 😉
I'm driving a 4 door Wrangler Sahara (on loan for a few weeks). Initially, I was like "the steering is a bit loose!" But after some driving & adjusting expectations, I was fine. The steering feedback went "blank" for a second or two once when I slowed down rather suddenly to go between a biker on one side and a car on the other side, but again, if you know it, you can manage; you just have to be careful. Versus my LR, I'm more attentive, but it's not terrible - I'd describe it as a bit more engaged. The other item is the Wrangler seems to have a very low level full car tremor on the roadway. It's very light - not a shake, just a vibration that seems to be from the feedback through the wheels. But after a day with it, no biggie. I haven't driven a Grenadier yet, but I will do so shortly and suspect the steering will be better than the Wrangler but not like my LR.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
People like what they like.

I can’t fault them for that.

But I have ridden all over the damn world in just about every kind of four-wheel-drive creature there is, and for use in the United States, the old defender is a POS.
The only two vehicles I found worse, were the Lada Niva, and the UAZ Hunter.

My 1964 International short bed pick up has fewer rattles than the Defender I was driving.
Rose colored glasses are more like goggles and earplugs for some people.
Maybe for the kind of driving you did, it was a POS. And, out of the box, it had some weaknesses. But after adding lockers, lift and replacing the drivetrail shafts with upgraded components, it was an awesome "adventure" vehicle. With decent shocks and springs, it was reasonably sure-footed at highway speeds and off-road, could do just about anything that was not pure rock crawling (not my thing!!). Of course, I could not hearmusic when on the road, but preferred, in any case, to hear the mechanical elements working...... I made many trips from Houston to Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, often in convoy with more "civilized" vehicles, happily cruising at 75mph (until I got to the Passes in the Rockies!) and then to the wilds for long self-sufficient overland trips. Sure I got dusty, and the Aircon was really a joke, but I had a smile on my face the whole time....
So, as they say, Horses for courses.
PS: If you want the definition of POS, try the mid-60s Brazilian-built Willys Jeep station wagon that I drove all over the interior of Bahia back then.....

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe for the kind of driving you did, it was a POS. And, out of the box, it had some weaknesses. But after adding lockers, lift and replacing the drivetrail shafts with upgraded components, it was an awesome "adventure" vehicle. With decent shocks and springs, it was reasonably sure-footed at highway speeds and off-road, could do just about anything that was not pure rock crawling (not my thing!!). Of course, I could not hearmusic when on the road, but preferred, in any case, to hear the mechanical elements working...... I made many trips from Houston to Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, often in convoy with more "civilized" vehicles, happily cruising at 75mph (until I got to the Passes in the Rockies!) and then to the wilds for long self-sufficient overland trips. Sure I got dusty, and the Aircon was really a joke, but I had a smile on my face the whole time....
So, as they say, Horses for courses.
PS: If you want the definition of POS, try the mid-60s Brazilian-built Willys Jeep station wagon that I drove all over the interior of Bahia back then.....
Every car guy is guilty.
I had untold numbers of Fiat’s throughout the 70’s.
People like what they like. Then justify it.
I don’t lose any sleep over it.
I don’t overland (being based in MI), but I wonder how big that market actually is.
There are are numerous new redesigns targeting that segment coming to market in the US.
Competition will be fierce.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t overland (being based in MI), but I wonder how big that market actually is.
There are are numerous new redesigns targeting that segment coming to market in the US.
Correct. Except that the Grenadier has been specifically designed from the get-go for this purpose, while the others are being "modified" to fit that market.
And, may I ask: if you do not "overland" what is your primary reason for buying the Grenadier?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Correct. Except that the Grenadier has been specifically designed from the get-go for this purpose, while the others are being "modified" to fit that market.
And, may I ask: if you do not "overland" what is your primary reason for buying the Grenadier?
Seasonal use
Desert hunting
It won’t be a D/D for me
Just an interesting toy.

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
I have never understood what there is to criticize about the perfect steering of the Grenadier. It is not a race car, it is an off-road vehicle. I love the steering on my Grenadier. And even in city traffic it can be maneuvered with complete confidence.
But its not tight enough for track day at the Nürburgring.
nurburgring-2930214081.jpg

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I was behind a loaded up old Defender (but looked like one of the later ones that I viewed as way overpriced) .
Slows as all F up the hill (lots of hills in Tassy) and the poor driver was squashed up against the steering wheel and B pillar (the same as happens in my old S3 with its 1930s mechanical design).
The Grenadier craps all over the old Defender. And I say that as someone prone to a little sentimentality for LR , but not one to get all misty eyed and thus suffering blurred vision.
IMO Ineos have absolutely made a winning chimera from the Old Defender and the G wagen.

Oh and I'm sick of journos bagging out the Grenadier steering. It works perfectly well.
Agree on the steering. It’s easy peasy!

Reactions: Max

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Agree on the steering. It’s easy peasy!
And does anyone remember the journos who were worried you wouldnt be able to tell the orientation of the steering wheel because of the symmetrical spokes?
apart from the great metal ring, and huge bulge at the bottom… I really cant imagine anyone having confusion beyond a few minutes driving, let alone an hour or two.

maybe just finding enough blather to fill their minutes of youtube or column inches is tougher than we realise, but there is an awful lot of authoritative drivvel put out. And some great, thoughtful stuff. But such a lot of drivvel…

Local time
Reaction score
Every car guy is guilty.
I had untold numbers of Fiat’s throughout the 70’s.
People like what they like. Then justify it.
I don’t lose any sleep over it.
I agree the competition is coming, and it's about time! So many mass produced SUVs are manufactured for idylic drives. An example is the ND on 22" rims: there's nothing that ND can do with it's high end tech that is likely to help a ND off road when it's riding on 22" rims; it's a complete mis-match, like trying to sell a plastic shovel to a coal miner. All that tech would surely help a ND riding 17 or 18" rims with KO2s, but a 22" rim off the pavement is a flat waiting to happen. If JLR wanted ND to go off road for long periods of time, it could try to reduce top speed, reduce the caliper sizes, and stick some rims on there that could actually benefit from the 4x4 tech they offer. Instead ND has tech features you're not likely to use, because the low profile tires will sooner fail before you have a chance to use the features. You absolutely don't need to overland every weekend to benefit on a daily basis from a strong suspension, good ground clearance, and a set of thick tires. Although my annual tally of off road travel is not substantial, it was constant enough to ruin a prior Forrester's suspension I had - the dealer said pretty much all the parts attached to the tires were going. This is the fundamental problem I had with a street oriented SUV - I was supposed to always keep it on the streets, otherwise stuff can either go wrong or get expensive. So I upgraded to a LR and love it - no suspension problems after 9 years & mild misuse. The LR has taken the many, many unexpected potholes I've hit while cruising 30 mph, plus all the years of adventure trips that have included the slow speeds for the mud ruts, gravel roads, mountain road descents, snow & icy roads, plus anything that's fallen in my path -like branches-up and over. I don't have air suspension and I have 18" rims, so unlike ND, my LR is always prepared for knocks and bumps - it has bigger wheel arches than ND, even though it's way smaller. I find many SUVs unrealistically prepared for even the most basic of hazards: potholes - I have a friend that flattened 2 tires on one pothole (same side of the car), whereas that same scenario would have been fine on my LR because the tires are bigger & the suspension would have absorbed some of the force. Lousy suspension gave the full hit to low profile tires, leaving him stranded. That's not nothing; that's kinda what I like about my LR - I hit stuff and I don't get issues afterwards. The ND doesn't offer that - if you hit a pothole on 22" rims, you're screwed. Even with the 19" rims, it's a heavy SUV, and there's very little room in that wheel arch... I don't get it. The number of Wranglers I see on a daily baisis is a pretty good indication that my view is common: a Wrangler can go over pretty much anything, and yet they also are out there doing daily drive duty. So if Grenadier enters the mix showing great durability + even a modest passenger comfort for the daily drive, it's going to rack up sales. Wrangler - which is OK inside, but limited in terms of space and it's not LR quiet or comfortable - racks up tremendous sales numbers by folks that want an SUV they can take off the pavement with confidence, even if that's not often. Wranglers go to beach houses, ski slopes, and cabins in the woods - plus they do thousands of miles on the pavement for daily drives. If more manufacturers want to build more choices for that type of use, great.

Local time
Reaction score
I agree the competition is coming, and it's about time! So many mass produced SUVs are manufactured for idylic drives. An example is the ND on 22" rims: there's nothing that ND can do with it's high end tech that is likely to help a ND off road when it's riding on 22" rims; it's a complete mis-match, like trying to sell a plastic shovel to a coal miner. All that tech would surely help a ND riding 17 or 18" rims with KO2s, but a 22" rim off the pavement is a flat waiting to happen. If JLR wanted ND to go off road for long periods of time, it could try to reduce top speed, reduce the caliper sizes, and stick some rims on there that could actually benefit from the 4x4 tech they offer. Instead ND has tech features you're not likely to use, because the low profile tires will sooner fail before you have a chance to use the features. You absolutely don't need to overland every weekend to benefit on a daily basis from a strong suspension, good ground clearance, and a set of thick tires. Although my annual tally of off road travel is not substantial, it was constant enough to ruin a prior Forrester's suspension I had - the dealer said pretty much all the parts attached to the tires were going. This is the fundamental problem I had with a street oriented SUV - I was supposed to always keep it on the streets, otherwise stuff can either go wrong or get expensive. So I upgraded to a LR and love it - no suspension problems after 9 years & mild misuse. The LR has taken the many, many unexpected potholes I've hit while cruising 30 mph, plus all the years of adventure trips that have included the slow speeds for the mud ruts, gravel roads, mountain road descents, snow & icy roads, plus anything that's fallen in my path -like branches-up and over. I don't have air suspension and I have 18" rims, so unlike ND, my LR is always prepared for knocks and bumps - it has bigger wheel arches than ND, even though it's way smaller. I find many SUVs unrealistically prepared for even the most basic of hazards: potholes - I have a friend that flattened 2 tires on one pothole (same side of the car), whereas that same scenario would have been fine on my LR because the tires are bigger & the suspension would have absorbed some of the force. Lousy suspension gave the full hit to low profile tires, leaving him stranded. That's not nothing; that's kinda what I like about my LR - I hit stuff and I don't get issues afterwards. The ND doesn't offer that - if you hit a pothole on 22" rims, you're screwed. Even with the 19" rims, it's a heavy SUV, and there's very little room in that wheel arch... I don't get it. The number of Wranglers I see on a daily baisis is a pretty good indication that my view is common: a Wrangler can go over pretty much anything, and yet they also are out there doing daily drive duty. So if Grenadier enters the mix showing great durability + even a modest passenger comfort for the daily drive, it's going to rack up sales. Wrangler - which is OK inside, but limited in terms of space and it's not LR quiet or comfortable - racks up tremendous sales numbers by folks that want an SUV they can take off the pavement with confidence, even if that's not often. Wranglers go to beach houses, ski slopes, and cabins in the woods - plus they do thousands of miles on the pavement for daily drives. If more manufacturers want to build more choices for that type of use, great.
In this video, the guys from TFL took a Wrangler, a Bronco, and a new Defender off road on a trail called Red Cone, which has a difficulty rating of 7 out of 10 (using the OnX Off Road rating system). 7 is as hard as I go in my Tacoma (2-inch lift, 33-inch tires, aftermarket skid plates the whole length of the vehicle), and I wouldn't take our stock 4-Runner on a 7 (no need to risk the damage). My Wrangler, which was on a 2-inch lift, and 35-inch tires, made pretty easy work of trails in this category. To your point, though, they got two flats on the Defender (which was on 20-inch wheels). Its entertaining if you have a little time to kill. At 20:00 you can see the difference in articulation between the Bronco (independent front suspension) and the Jeep (solid front axle) - this is like a textbook demonstration about the difference between IFS and SFA off-road - definitely worth watching for anyone not familiar with the comparison.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In this video, the guys from TFL took a Wrangler, a Bronco, and a new Defender off road on a trail called Red Cone, which has a difficulty rating of 7 out of 10 (using the OnX Off Road rating system). 7 is as hard as I go in my Tacoma (2-inch lift, 33-inch tires, aftermarket skid plates the whole length of the vehicle), and I wouldn't take our stock 4-Runner on a 7 (no need to risk the damage). My Wrangler, which was on a 2-inch lift, and 35-inch tires, made pretty easy work of trails in this category. To your point, though, they got two flats on the Defender (which was on 20-inch wheels). Its entertaining if you have a little time to kill.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8
The Defender “recovery” video is equally “entertaining.”

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
It’s just remarkable to me how many young people are rolling around in $100,000 vehicles.

I guess I don’t know what world you guys live in, but the people around me in the US are not driving $100,000 off-road vehicles. You can buy a wrangler for half of that, and spend the next fifty upgrading. Or a Taco ftm.
Grenadier is aimed at the aspirational GW/ND potential customer.

When I’m out on the moor, it’s another matter. Price is no object, and people don’t really want to be seen as downmarket.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
If you live in a city with tight parking spots and garages you will hate the steering. If not now then soon 😉
Hm, there are plenty of vehicles where you hate the parking lots. .. Me with a MB 250 GLK.. in Luxembourg underground car park.
However, anyone who is intending to purchase a Grenadier should - read the specs, including dimensions and turning cycle, test drive it.
And consider thoroughly for what purpose the Grenadier is intended. Then either buy it or don't.
If I would live in a town or large inhabitated area, and drive there only. - No 4WD, not even something like a van / like Mercedes V class or so would be purchased. - If at all either small vehicle or if possible ride share rental on demand ( e.g. combined with a subscription to public transport) and if I required something bigger rent on demand. I live on the countryside - and that is a different topic and rationale.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, there are plenty of vehicles where you hate the parking lots. .. Me with a MB 250 GLK.. in Luxembourg underground car park.
However, anyone who is intending to purchase a Grenadier should - read the specs, including dimensions and turning cycle, test drive it.
And consider thoroughly for what purpose the Grenadier is intended. Then either buy it or don't.
If I would live in a town or large inhabitated area, and drive there only. - No 4WD, not even something like a van / like Mercedes V class or so would be purchased. - If at all either small vehicle or if possible ride share rental on demand ( e.g. combined with a subscription to public transport) and if I required something bigger rent on demand. I live on the countryside - and that is a different topic and rationale.
Mine’s going to get built out in the back with an 8 inch deck, and two LanTran dog boxes sitting on top of it. Then we are going to wear it out just going to see stuff.
I’ll get a used one for the UK just because we aren’t there enough.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s just remarkable to me how many young people are rolling around in $100,000 vehicles.

I guess I don’t know what world you guys live in, but the people around me in the US are not driving $100,000 off-road vehicles. You can buy a wrangler for half of that, and spend the next fifty upgrading. Or a Taco ftm.
Grenadier is aimed at the aspirational GW/ND potential customer.

When I’m out on the moor, it’s another matter. Price is no object, and people don’t really want to be seen as downmarket.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing here. I assume they've all worked hard for it. Probably influencers ;)

Back
Top Bottom