The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Utility Belt

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
As long as you can boil the water an Aeropress is hard to beat for travelling.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll second that. An Aeropress, Porlex mini grinder and a Keep cup are an essential part of my travel kit these days.
Is this the one?

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Is this the one?
Certainly is @DaveB !

Widely available at most coffee gadget, kitchen and outdoor shops.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My table #1 is in the rear door.
Park.
Open door, table ready, no need to carry anything anywhere.
Table #2 is on the sand boards under the awning, just lower them, done. Even no need to carry an extra table.

Where is the benefit of hanging it somewhere?
Why don't use the rails in the rear if you want to hang a table?
Awnings do not cover front doors.

Cheers
AWo

I want a table at seated height for using a laptop under the awning in the shade.
Plus I don't want to be boiling water on a table attached to the rear door (I have ordered it) as a strong gust of wind could blow it closed or even just rock it causing it to spill over.
This one mounted to the door of a Grenadier looks solid and the right height
1679017872931.png
Awnings certainly do cover the front doors

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexZbXDercY

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What I like about the utility belt is that it is a blank canvas for people’s imagination. I don’t 100% know what I will do with mine yet, but looking forward to seeing what creative minds come up with. I like the door table and rear molle panel that Black Sheep have come up with already. Give this group and the aftermarket a year or two and I bet we see some very interesting things
Saves getting scratches from handcuffs on the door handles

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
As long as you can boil the water an Aeropress is hard to beat for travelling.
Can add another vote for the Aeropress, we also take a small frother for the milk, which is usually heated by the time the coffees are brewed.

Sitting at camp on a cold frosty morning with a quality hot coffee while the bacon is sizzling, is one of those times life doesn't get much better.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thoughtful
You did pose the question!
My wife said the best billy tea she'd ever tasted was on a Katherine River kayaking trip last year.
The others in the party agreed, including me.
Secret ingredient local myrtle leaves, from memory.
@Bushguide will know.

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I want to make a proper espresso not dirty water

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How is this better than a moka pot, gents?
I suposse it comes down to personal preference. I find it a lighter and more compact (partricularly if I'm flying) and its easier to make multiple cups as the water is boiled seperately, unless you carry a large mocha pot.

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
It's not better, just an alternative, however ... it is very transportable (packs into itself, including cup), can use hot water from any source (inc hotel/motel kettle), is fast (basically as soon as the water is boiled), and also makes a good coffee. We now take it instead of the Mokapot

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's not better, just an alternative, however ... it is very transportable (packs into itself, including cup), can use hot water from any source (inc hotel/motel kettle), is fast (basically as soon as the water is boiled), and also makes a good coffee. We now take it instead of the Mokapot
Ah, yes - I get the benefit of the separate boiling. Thanks gents!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Im with globalgregors… although obviously its a personal choice.

i have found aeropress fiddly, potentially messy with the push down knocking cups over or spurting up if grind too fine, and most importantly, no better than a much easier normal coffee press (in uk cafetiere) If you stir it.
anything with nespresso pods I find awful, stale, underdosed, and wasteful. I envy you if you like it, so dont be angry with me please…
the wacopress thing has too small a grounds capacity - and fiddly.

best result (for us) short of a full espresso machine at home is the moka,, with milk heated in a saucepan. Cheap, reliable, simple, 2-4 people in one go.

i definitely grind on the spot though, slow, manual grinder. It’s my form of morning prayer to the coffee gods.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back to utility belt…

i share interest in seeing what develops over the years; its not immediately obvious how I will use it. I kind of expect things that would not have been obvious ideas at first.

I would be interested in a ‘jerry’ that could hang just off the window between roof gutter and rear window belt, with 20-30-ish litres of diesel, and maybe a kitchen box version using same frame. Even better if its a bladder inside the box, to use for other stuff when bladder empty. I wont often need additional fuel, but desert crossings…. Well, it would be a good spot for the few hundred km until its decanted. I prefer to travel light, and dont want a roof rack.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Im with globalgregors… although obviously its a personal choice.

i have found aeropress fiddly, potentially messy with the push down knocking cups over or spurting up if grind too fine, and most importantly, no better than a much easier normal coffee press (in uk cafetiere) If you stir it.
anything with nespresso pods I find awful, stale, underdosed, and wasteful. I envy you if you like it, so dont be angry with me please…
the wacopress thing has too small a grounds capacity - and fiddly.

best result (for us) short of a full espresso machine at home is the moka,, with milk heated in a saucepan. Cheap, reliable, simple, 2-4 people in one go.

i definitely grind on the spot though, slow, manual grinder. It’s my form of morning prayer to the coffee gods.
Yes, I sort of got into the habit of cortado/macchiato/piccolo (country depending) so the small moka is viable, but it’s not going to produce the sort of volumes required if one enjoys a mug of coffee. Sounds like I need to stick with that or try the pressurised solution @Sylvan has linked…

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I sort of got into the habit of cortado/macchiato/piccolo (country depending) so the small moka is viable, but it’s not going to produce the sort of volumes required if one enjoys a mug of coffee. Sounds like I need to stick with that or try the pressurised solution @Sylvan has linked…
Takes only 8g of coffee sadly. We coffee loving aussies, well a shot for 2 small cups is 21-23g of coffee. Thats the prob i had with this fascinating gadget.

AWo

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
I want a table at seated height for using a laptop under the awning in the shade.
Plus I don't want to be boiling water on a table attached to the rear door (I have ordered it) as a strong gust of wind could blow it closed or even just rock it causing it to spill over.
This one mounted to the door of a Grenadier looks solid and the right height
View attachment 7806277
Awnings certainly do cover the front doors

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexZbXDercY
That's why there are folding hinges, which also lowers the sandboards while folding them in the horizontal position

Cheers AWo

Back
Top Bottom