The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Utility Belt

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm still a bit confused by the external utility belt.
Can anyone demonstrate how it will be used?  
To me it seems that any proposed use will either, damage the paint (imagine a shovel or axe mounted on the side body), and/or prevent the doors from being opened (imagine maxxtrax or fishing rods that are longer than the width of the door mounted on a door). 
I'm also struggling to imagine more than two or three possible applications.
Is anyone else a little confused too - or am I just being daft.
I'd love to see some images of a utility belt being 'utilised', or even just some ideas/plans.
Thanks in advance, Guardsmen.
Henry
Australia

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
Much depends upon local laws for driving with protrusions and where you drive offroad so you don't snag stuff..Offroad can mount flat eg Rotopax water/diesel containers, attach fold down tables , guy ropes , tools and so onIf you are handy you will find a way to mount them safely and securely.Wait for the car to hit the market and follow what others do.I'm getting them,  but will wait to see what I need to pack outside the vehicle. I will be touring but not towing so will need some extra space.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
If you look at the rails, you'll see some smaller rectangles about half a meter below.

These are small 'rails' as well. So they are apparently intended to be supports for whatever you want to carry outside. Therefore the loads on the rails will not rub against the paint. Instead, there should be a small gap of a few millimeters between the doors and the load.

For this to function, a load needs additional mounts below, either directly mounted to the load itself or in the form of a frame or a rack on which the load is attached.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am still working on design of my detachable  tables to fasten to these Utility rails
Two supports which slot into the top rail and if needed a swing down leg which slots into the lower 2 hole module. stainless steel shelf with a hinged lid panel to swing up and protect the paint from heat and splashes. If I recall correctly these rails are fastened to the frame of the door and can carry 100 kg per door 
A great spot to put a hot plate or jet boil under the awning and to make lunch and a cuppa. 
If you don't need the shelf you can use the supports to hold a bag for your rubbish, hang clothes/towels on to dry or if you are a lot lighter than me you could use them as another step to access the roof, depending on the shear strength of the fittings and supports.

Attachments

• Left side.png
    Left side.png
    2 MB · Views: 292
  • L track.png
    L track.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 289

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DaveB

Sounds wonderful. I have zero design ability.

Patent pending or open source design?

cheers

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Tazzieman, and Emax.
DaveB - as always, you're a wealth of information.  Cheers mate.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a (factory) plan for these rails ... it'll be interesting finding out what it is.

But maybe it's also down to the user... they look like a solution waiting for a problem to solve

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DCPU for those examples. I note though that they are all affixed to the rear quarter panel. All well and good, and look forward to what folks come up with.

But a utility belt on the passenger doors ? Not sure how practical that would be. Worse, I don't care for the look of the small bumpers on the lower doors - makes me think of markers on a crash test car.

I think those bumpers come on all models whether you option the door utility belt or not. Would rather a solid bumper strip, the full width of the doors. Which would work as a bumper for items carried on the door utility belt and also maybe help with door dings in parking lots etc.

Also ... while I'm wishing ... I wouldn't say no to a filler strip to cover the slots when not in use.

Hey, I like a clean look 😊

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DCPU for those examples. I note though that they are all affixed to the rear quarter panel. All well and good, and look forward to what folks come up with.

But a utility belt on the passenger doors ? Not sure how practical that would be. Worse, I don't care for the look of the small bumpers on the lower doors - makes me think of markers on a crash test car.

I think those bumpers come on all models whether you option the door utility belt or not. Would rather a solid bumper strip, the full width of the doors. Which would work as a bumper for items carried on the door utility belt and also maybe help with door dings in parking lots etc.

Also ... while I'm wishing ... I wouldn't say no to a filler strip to cover the slots when not in use.

Hey, I like a clean look 😊
The utility rail is called L Channel. Google it. I don't plan to carry stuff on it while driving (onroad) as the vehicle is already wide enough. But once parked I can see shelves, a shower, max tracks vertical on the rear doors when on Fraser Island. A shovel. Brush guards on the doors and rear panel. "Have workshop will tinker"

Local time
Reaction score
The utility rail is called L Channel. Google it.
Yes thanks, I have seen it in use before.

My mistake, I thought the lower sectional pieces were rubber type bumpers for some reason (!) Must have looked that way on the renderings I previously viewed.

- But they are indeed clear on your post #4, first pic. -

Still not love with that particular design element but I know ... form follows function.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
@painter
> a utility belt on the passenger doors

Why not? You can mount cameras there, or clamp a torch onto them if you have either a repair or just a night camp, or attach a tarp or whatsoever. I do not only consider them useful for heavy gear but as well for any thing you want to pin somehow temporarily. Even some clamped-on protective rubber stripes for urban idiot-areas (super markets, car parks ...) could be mounted on the rails ...

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I saw a post, either on here or on one of the Grenadier owners Facebook pages, asking about magnetic brush guards for the side of the Grenadier, the same as available for Toyotas and many other SUV's. The Grenadiers doors and bonnet are Aluminium, or Aluminum for the Americans on here, which means the utility rails may be the only potential way to protect the doors as pointed out above. The quarter panels are steel so they will be OK

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you don't order the exterior utility belt as an option, then (as per DaveB's post #13) INEOS uses instead, black solid protection strips.

Does anyone know/guess/seen these strips up close & personal?

Are they rubber, plastic, can they be removed & replaced?

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
As I said, i'm interested in the potential utility here...

... but i predict that, say, i'll put a table on the rear door, then kid A/ the dog/ wind will open the door, causing untold damage

I wonder how stiff those door skins/ structures are?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As I said, i'm interested in the potential utility here...

... but i predict that, say, i'll put a table on the rear door, then kid A/ the dog/ wind will open the door, causing untold damage

I wonder how stiff those door skins/ structures are?
I haven't seen them except in pictures/videos.
they are removable because you can buy the external utility belts as an accessory.
The rails are bolted through to the frame of the door and are rated at either 100 or 150kg
The aluminium door skin is not load bearing

Back
Top Bottom