The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The Flip Thread

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Gold bars? Or is that the stuff of old movies?
True story. Many years ago when I sold my Discovery 1, it was to a guy who was an opal buyer travelling to the various opal mining areas and buying their finds and selling them on. I was asking $24k for it, but was prepared to take $20k they guy wanted to pay in opals, but me knowing nothing about opals said no, and he said what about part cash, part opals so I agreed to $20k cash and $4k opals. The guy had a big duffel bag, he opened it up and inside was a pistol, bundles of cash and bags of opals. And he handed me $20k in bundles of fifties and I chose the opals. Stll have them somewhere.

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
True story. Many years ago when I sold my Discovery 1, it was to a guy who was an opal buyer travelling to the various opal mining areas and buying their finds and selling them on. I was asking $24k for it, but was prepared to take $20k they guy wanted to pay in opals, but me knowing nothing about opals said no, and he said what about part cash, part opals so I agreed to $20k cash and $4k opals. The guy had a big duffel bag, he opened it up and inside was a pistol, bundles of cash and bags of opals. And he handed me $20k in bundles of fifties and I chose the opals. Stll have them somewhere.
okay....my bare IG for 100k + 30k in opals.

yes, you laugh now but it might be a very good deal for the buyer

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
Nice story to be told the grandchildren grandchildren when looking at your opals!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
So Andrew, the burning question is, was it a good deal with the opals ??

Were you up on the deal, and if you have some now, will they be worth more ?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So Andrew, the burning question is, was it a good deal with the opals ??

Were you up on the deal, and if you have some now, will they be worth more ?
To be honest, no idea. I had no idea at the time what the opals were worth and still no idea today, in fact I will have to dig through stuff to fund them, can’t recall the last time I saw them. I did the deal on the basis that the cash component was basically what I was willing to accept for the vehicle anyway. The opals were just icing on top.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
To be honest, no idea. I had no idea at the time what the opals were worth and still no idea today, in fact I will have to dig through stuff to fund them, can’t recall the last time I saw them. I did the deal on the basis that the cash component was basically what I was willing to accept for the vehicle anyway. The opals were just icing on top.
A quick trip to the appraisers could net you a free Grenadier because of those rocks......

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A quick trip to the appraisers could net you a free Grenadier because of those rocks......
Anything is possible, however I doubt it, the guy was an opal dealer so he would well have known their value, they were never supposed to he worth more than $4000 and I have no doubt that at best he gave them retail value and more likely less. I guess over the past 20 years they may have gone up with inflation but I still can’t imagine it resulting in a windfall

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
I think unrelated. The Autotrader car has leather - heated seats. The above does not.
Fieldmaster has heated front seats as standard and no-cost option of "grey"/black leather seats.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Certainly a steward's enquiry at Sandicliffe?

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Almost no chance that I will flip the car, it will probably be my last car, unless it gets stolen or gets crashed.
I agree. If you are buying into the philosphy that this vehicle is being built to last and to be easily serviced and repaired, then it will never be flipped.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't expect to see quite so many for sale on AutoTrader but I guess flipping has become quite popular following the pandemic, etc.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, I get the impression that quite a few had jumped on the bandwagon with no real interest in the vehicle but thinking they were going to makes a quick 10-15k after a couple of days of ownership.

Not quite worked out that way yet. It’s still not well known enough. Someone like Beckham or some other well known celebrity driving round in one and things may change. 19 for sale on auto trader won’t last long if it becomes even semi popular.

Back
Top Bottom