The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The Flip Thread

Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
Get a well specced Grenadier for 75-100k sheckles and you’ll be able to sell it for 150-200k of the same money.
That would be a very large windfall, esp for someone for whom that 75K is a bit of a stretch (financially or to justify the expenditure)

Problem is you won’t be able to get another one for a long long time
A problem possibly mitigated by a sizable net reduction in replacement cost (using the windfall)

Not a play in my own book, but it might be tempting for some, depending on ones circumstances when we finally get these.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Almost no chance that I will flip the car, it will probably be my last car, unless it gets stolen or gets crashed.

But you are not ruling it out though 😝

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
Do the buying party pay with cashier's check or cash? Just curious how such large transaction amounts work.
Different places have different norms on this I think. I would think these days most common would be a bank transfer. I have definitely sold cars for folding cash before, but the largest has been about $20k. I doubt people would want to be doing $100k+ transactions in cash. I paid $70k for a car by bank transfer recently in a private sale, sat in the guys kitchen with him, did the transfer on my phone with his email
Address confirmation from my bank. Showed him the successful transfer on my ohone ajd he got the email confirmation from my bank and we were good to go.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Different places have different norms on this I think. I would think these days most common would be a bank transfer. I have definitely sold cars for folding cash before, but the largest has been about $20k. I doubt people would want to be doing $100k+ transactions in cash. I paid $70k for a car by bank transfer recently in a private sale, sat in the guys kitchen with him, did the transfer on my phone with his email
Address confirmation from my bank. Showed him the successful transfer on my ohone ajd he got the email confirmation from my bank and we were good to go.
Indeed here the most professional dealers want a bank transfer and no cash as there would be enquiries where the money came from when paid in cash.
In many countries the use of cash already is forbidden for higher amounts.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
Indeed here the most professional dealers want a bank transfer and no cash as there would be enquiries where the money came from when paid in cash.
Like wise in the UK. Getting cash out of your bank account is restricted for large amounts.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Times are getting harder: they are afraid of bank runs.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here any cash transactions in or out of banks over $10,000 are reportable but can be done, but most banks these days also don’t carry the same amounts of cash as they used to, so you would need to pre order probably and definitely fill in a lot of paperwork. There was a proposed bill to ban cash transactions over $10k but it has been abandoned for now, so it can be done but there is no obligation on a seller to accept large quantities of cash either understandably many people don’t want to have to handle or take the risk of having that much cash on hand.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Here any cash transactions in or out of banks over $10,000 are reportable but can be done, but most banks these days also don’t carry the same amounts of cash as they used to, so you would need to pre order probably and definitely fill in a lot of paperwork. There was a proposed bill to ban cash transactions over $10k but it has been abandoned for now, so it can be done but there is no obligation on a seller to accept large quantities of cash either understandably many people don’t want to have to handle or take the risk of having that much cash on hand.
Gold bars? Or is that the stuff of old movies?

Attachments

• i021615.jpg
    i021615.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 13

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
With gold you always have those nasty arguments regarding the true exchange rate.
Yes it's always an awkward exchange, but if you haggle enough....

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Waited 18 months for this. But most things do have a price. :unsure::LOL:

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have no plans to flip mine, quite the opposite I am hoping it lives up to its longevity claims, and I have it for 15+ years. However, it is nice to know that if my circumstances changed or it turned out, I hate the reality of it. Based on the early order discounts I could easily sell it for what I’ve paid, and maybe even make a little profit.
On average, I buy a car every 15 years (Disco👌). There’ll be no flipping here …… but hopefully it keeps a healthy value just in case my trend changes 😅. I’m buying this thing ‘cos it looks like the only thing on the market that has the best chance of lasting a long time.

Local time
Reaction score
The ability to flip is diminishing rapidly - ask the corvette guys. High interest rates and supply catching up to demand (in the auto world generally) will end it. I suspect that a couple will get sold for over sticker, just because competitors will want to get their hands on them right away for benchmarking purposes. But otherwise, no chance. If anything, I'd be worried that these might be discounted inside of a year by dealers. My hope is that getting one early will be as good as pricing will get and we won't lose our behinds on these.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't know if the demand for this vehicle will cross over into mainstream as status symbol ala Rover or g wagon substitute must have. if it does demand could become off the charts. if people are willing to outbid one another on broncos it can't be ruled out with this car. providing the price is somewhat reasonable from the start.. this car is marketed to 60 yr old white dudes right now.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well Ineos aren't predicting any unusual residuals over the first few years.

Screenshot_20230429_170446.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Well Ineos aren't predicting any unusual residuals over the first few years.

View attachment 7809933

I don't think you can set a residual value on this car with any certainty. obv it will be case by case, but you can't rule out a high demand for the first few and years people not even being able to even get one.

seems like all speculation

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
And let’s not forget the North American market is not the same as Europe. The depreciation of Wranglers beggars belief.

Back
Top Bottom