The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Suspension clunk while off road

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Getting a clunking noise from my RHD front suspension while off roading on Sand a few weeks ago, I have heard this clunk on several videos of other videos as well and though it was maybe something with the springs. I was under my Grenadier today checking out for any loose wiring which all was tied back into place. While looking around the front suspension, I found 2 spots on the steering rod and track rod that the paint had been warned off and surface rust starting to appear. This was on the passenger side of the car. After a bit of investigation I found that the ball joints on the track rod which is on top allow the track rod to swivel up and down wear it hits hard up against the steering rod below which has the dampener on it. The car was on level ground, not jacked up and the steering was straight. I have only done a bit over 2000km and have only taken it off road once.
please see video's and photo's attached.

Attachments

• 1c7508af-c842-4381-9774-be87f1c25d14.MP4
    1.6 MB
  • 59eb9ad9-b243-4fd8-8abf-3bea78674bae.mov
    3 MB
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 184

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
I think this is a known issue, I think my dealer mentioned something about that. Might be a known issue. Wes there a post on here about it? I suspect there might be a replacement part..

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's going to need a permanent fix in the very near future lest permanent issues arise that require actual repairs...

Local time
Reaction score
That's going to need a permanent fix in the very near future lest permanent issues arise that require actual repairs...
The ends of the track rod being bent on an angle would not help. The angled ends would cause the track rod to roll more on the tie rods at full lock contacting other close components. The angled ends allow clearnce over the diff cover on the Grenadier. The Iveco Daily 4x4 with Carraro axles have a simmilar design but there is more clearance around the components. It is normal for straight track rods roll slightly when loaded at full steering lock.
Some slight tweeking of the tie rod ends may reduce the roll enough to stop some noise.

Bodhi’s Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
I just experienced this noise as well first time Offroad today. Slightly higher speed of about 15-20mph over harsh divots in the road induced the noise. May need to make some adjustments to create enough clearance, hopefully they can do this at eibach when they put on the final 2.5” springs.

AWo

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Driving offroad does make sounds you do not hear on roads or even tracks.

The question is in which situation which sounds occur? There can be forces being reliefed, bushings under torsion, a spring getting settled etc.

And each car has its own sound repertoire.

AWo

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
That seems like issues I see on my Montero with its Jerry Rigged solid front axle. Spent years dealing with interferences and just getting through it. But seems like a design mistake was made with not enough separation to avoid this?

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Getting a clunking noise from my RHD front suspension while off roading on Sand a few weeks ago, I have heard this clunk on several videos of other videos as well and though it was maybe something with the springs. I was under my Grenadier today checking out for any loose wiring which all was tied back into place. While looking around the front suspension, I found 2 spots on the steering rod and track rod that the paint had been warned off and surface rust starting to appear. This was on the passenger side of the car. After a bit of investigation I found that the ball joints on the track rod which is on top allow the track rod to swivel up and down wear it hits hard up against the steering rod below which has the dampener on it. The car was on level ground, not jacked up and the steering was straight. I have only done a bit over 2000km and have only taken it off road once.
please see video's and photo's attached.
Ditto

I was getting some mild clunks in the front suspension while off roading on sand tracks over the Australia Day long weekend. Looking under the car today, I found exactly the same wear marks on the steering arms in front of the steering damper.

I need to follow up with Magic tomorrow again regarding door seals, front, PDC errors, and continuing rattles, so will add this to the list.

cheers
Steve

Bodhi’s Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I heard the clunk again today Offroad emanating from the front left (LHD). I did not see any wear marks on the tie rods, track arm, draglink, or springs. I’m wondering if the spring is not seated correctly. It sounds almost as if a plate is loose and that it’s smacking onto another plate when going through whoops or rutted out road. Spring slap? It slightly translates to the steering wheel or to my feet. It only occurs offroad under suspension articulation at speed, never on the road. Doesn’t seem like anything is binding. Thoughts?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Sometimes not properly tightened suspension bolts can make this kind of sounds, I've had several times this at LR front radius arms. Very hard to locate.
Check the bolts on the chassis side of the front suspension links; although that usually makes a very dull sounding clunk

Bodhi’s Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I saw another thread here about a bell sound coming from the stabilizer. Took it off pavement again today, I believe this is the sound. Sounds like a metal plate smacking against something and then resonating. I’ll check underneath and confirm properly torqued and recheck.

Back
Top Bottom