The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Clunk when slowing down

Jayman1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
I picked my Grenadier up yesterday and noticing once in a while a little clunk I feel and hear. It seems to be coming from underneath by the pedals. Seems to be happening when slowing down for a light. I heard there was a steering recall where Non-locking nuts may have been mistakenly installed on the steering rod ball joint. They said this can cause a clunking but mine seems like not coming from steering. I would think my truck was checked for this at the dealership. Maybe a tranny down shift clunk idk. Anyone else experiencing this? I’ll keep you posted if I figure out more.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Mine is the same, so you’re not on your own. I also have it occasionally when starting off as well. It absolutely sounds like it’s coming from the drivers (lhd) footwell or the left hand side of the transmission tunnel. Hopefully I’ll have time to get under for a look this week.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
I feel a transmission downshift once in a while but nothing that concerns me. Might be the same thing?

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is the same, so you’re not on your own. I also have it occasionally when starting off as well. It absolutely sounds like it’s coming from the drivers (lhd) footwell or the left hand side of the transmission tunnel. Hopefully I’ll have time to get under for a look this week.
Look forward to hearing what you find Stu. Reminds me a bit of my manual as I fail to shift properly.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
Mine has a small downshift clunk.
Small; on a side note you should drive my 60s Benz. It is normal for them to clunk harshly from new. Nobody questioned the quality of a Benz back then 😊

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
A couple of times when turning right I have felt something which is difficult to describe but did cause me slight concern. Need to find time to investigate.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When new mine had a demonstrable clunk when the transmission downshifted from 3rd to 2nd.

By 2500 miles, it shifted like any other gear. Give a little time to break in.
Im at 2K. Its not an issue with shifting "up" but when at low speed behaves like the manual downshifting. Subtle but there .... monitoring.

Local time
Reaction score
Owners seem to be reporting that clunks and other noises reduces "as it breaks in." Why would a transmission or engine stop making noise with wear? I am not questioning that the noise is less apparent, I asking about what the mechanism for that?

Local time
Reaction score
Transmission shift quality can be attributed to the adaptive shift learning constantly changing shift points and engagement pressure ramp time depending on driving styles, changes in load and driving environment. Some modern electronic transmissions may take longer to change shift quality if there are multiple drivers with significantly differing driving styles. Modern transmissions like the 8HP ZF rely on solenoids to control shift quality while older non electronic and very early electro-hydraulic transmissions tended to have relatively fixed shift points and shift quality relied on hydraulic valving, springs and various sized orifices within the transmissions valve body.
For some modern transmissions an owner can improve the shift quality by going to a flat straight road and from a standing start lightly accelerate until the transmission works through all the gears then let the car slow down through the gears without the brakes. This may have to be done several times to allow the transmission to readapt. The owner can experiment with this and do the opposite, hard accelerate and slow quickly through the gears several times, add a trailer and see how the transmission quality changes when the car is empty again until the transmission re-adapts. Any further mechanical clunking will have to be investigated as it could be loose components in the drive line or steering related.

Local time
Reaction score
l've got a new Defender and it has the same transmission as the Grenadier l believe.
As in. ZF 8-speed.

Occasionally l get a "clunk" that l can feel rather than hear, at low speeds after slowing down then accelerating slightly.

lt's when the transmission seems to shift from idle, into second gear.

lt's worth checking the oil level in the transmission, as some have found it's a bit low. However it's not straightforward to check and probably something to ask your dealer to look at.

JRD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
After 500 miles in my new Fieldmaster, I noticed a clucking sound between the right front wheel well and the steering wheel (US). It does not appear on highway driving, but side road, lower speed. Sometimes when turning or shortly after.
Intermittent, but more apparent. Curious if this sounds familiar

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I picked my Grenadier up yesterday and noticing once in a while a little clunk I feel and hear. It seems to be coming from underneath by the pedals. Seems to be happening when slowing down for a light. I heard there was a steering recall where Non-locking nuts may have been mistakenly installed on the steering rod ball joint. They said this can cause a clunking but mine seems like not coming from steering. I would think my truck was checked for this at the dealership. Maybe a tranny down shift clunk idk. Anyone else experiencing this? I’ll keep you posted if I figure out more.

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can always tell when the Gren has downshifted to 2nd when slowing gently (8-15mph). Dealer aware. Not getting worse…
Petrol Trialmaster - my brother’s diesel N1 doesn’t do this. (Slightly different ZF box; very different software throughout).

Back
Top Bottom