The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Stockton Beach Fire

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
My wife will be grabbing her phone and the tea pot.
But she's a GP so she'll be on the ball applying burns bandages to her brave husband :)
But hopefully not on the balls.
"But hopefully not on the balls."
The burns or the bandages?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
Hope Ineos haven’t decided to fit a multi storey car park heater like the Range Rovers have !!

If your not in the UK, Google “Luton airport car park fire”

The haters will certainly revel in that photo for sure

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
"But hopefully not on the balls."
The burns or the bandages?
One follows the other!
Sidenote: around 15 years ago I set fire to my groin using an angle grinder to trim a sword I was making. In front of 2 of my sons. I still have the burnt shorts on my workshop door. Luckily my asbestos underpants didn't catch alight.
Lesson learned: always wear a leather apron!
20240113_163750.jpg

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
From the BBC article:
"The N57 was used in civilian 3 series, 4 series, 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, X3, X4, X5 and the X6. Tens of thousands of them were sold to the public but BMW said the fault had only ever been seen in UK police cars due to the way they are driven."

Or... "Please buy our sportscars but you cannot drive them like sportscars or they will catch on fire" - ??
The conclusion was long periods of idling diesel vehicles and neglecting oil changes wore crankshaft bearings.
It might have happened to diesel Toyotas had they chosen them. But can they go 130mph?

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
The conclusion was long periods of idling diesel vehicles and neglecting oil changes wore crankshaft bearings.
It might have happened to diesel Toyotas had they chosen them. But can they go 130mph?
That makes much more sense. Idling a modern diesel is terrible for all the emissions systems and leads to all kinds of problems.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder if their insurance covers this as it would not be on a gazetted or declared public road? If not then a warranty claim against Ineos? There would also be a hefty bill to have the shell removed from the beach.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Sidenote: around 15 years ago I set fire to my groin using an angle grinder to trim a sword I was making.

Interesting euphemism :unsure:

I also Cary one of these

The patent for the Spyderco "hole" must have run out but that's okay in my book. One handed operation is a must for such tools.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
I have no idea what caused this fire and am looking forward to learning the cause. Here is what I hope is not the cause: getting stuck in sand and over-revving the engine to try to get unstuck and something in the engine bay ignites and leads to catastrophic loss. The pics we have seem to indicate the vehicle was pretty dug in.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder if their insurance covers this as it would not be on a gazetted or declared public road? If not then a warranty claim against Ineos? There would also be a hefty bill to have the shell removed from the beach.
It might be, I know that the Noosa North Shore and Rainbow beaches are gazetted roads

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
I have no idea what caused this fire and am looking forward to learning the cause. Here is what I hope is not the cause: getting stuck in sand and over-revving the engine to try to get unstuck and something in the engine bay ignites and leads to catastrophic loss. The pics we have seem to indicate the vehicle was pretty dug in.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't bogged, the rear photo almost certainly proves that.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Despite not having ordered it, mine came with the basic extinguisher and safety kit. I've added 2 fiberglass fire blankets to the camp table. I know it's not enough, but it's better than nothing.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Despite not having ordered it, mine came with the basic extinguisher and safety kit. I've added 2 fiberglass fire blankets to the camp table. I know it's not enough, but it's better than nothing.
Anything is better than nothing, if you can get to it quickly generally speaking you can limit the damage. It's actually a legal requirement in some countries in the EU to carry an extinguisher in your vehicle.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't remember who it was but I was following a thread about extinguishers and the consensus was that a large-ish AFF + water canister was best.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't remember who it was but I was following a thread about extinguishers and the consensus was that a large-ish AFF + water canister was best.
Probably me, I always recommend foam over dry chem because it takes the heat and oxygen out, the downside is the size. That's why dry chem is used more readily.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
I carry this type of fire extinguisher attached to the cargo barrier behind the front seat .IMG_9790.jpeg
And regarding insurance I can only get third party cover in each country I travel in so I take the risk

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just ordered one of these to install under the bonnet. I have an extinguisher on the cargo barrier as well but for an engine bay fire this is automatic and fast.
IMG_5427.jpeg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pro install?
Will probably do it myself. Will have a look and see where potential mounting points are. I have ordered 2 metres, will probably do single run on passenger side and loop on the DPF, turbo, exhaust side

Back
Top Bottom