The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering Column Universal Joint Rubber Boot

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
I guess we are all assuming that the intent was for the boot to fully cover everything. This may not be the case as the boot may be meant to only cover the knuckle of the joint and leave the connecting bolted clamp accessible. Are you sure the boot wouldn't have tidied up just as well by pushing it slightly back behind the clamp where the shaft is presumably round as well to match the boot?
I fully admit I've not removed the boot in full, but this is what I'm expecting sits under there. If you leave the clamp accessible then the whole throat of the uj is also accessible and the point of the boot is totally negated.
1070x684-IMG_1298_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

By comparison my W463 G-Wagen has no boot at all covering the upper steering UJ, and has never needed one. Ineos could probably have left the boot off altogether and no-one would have cared.
Yes, I've posted that my Defender doesn't have one either. It's an upgrade, and speaks to the reliability/durability spiel; but only if it's in good condition and most importantly fitted correctly.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It maybe that the Quality Assurance chap/chapess with the pot of paint and a brush* simply pulled the boot off the joint to "check and daub" .. and hasn't replaced it. Takes more "fiddle time" to replace than to remove because of the shape... poor practice nevertheless! *Perhaps they use a marker pen but only have one hand!:unsure:
It would be very French, if the actual additional QA checks are introducing more QA issues than they are solving...

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Saw this posted on social media about a steering failure - but as with anything posted on fb take it with a grain of salt.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-29 101005.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-29 101005.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 48

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The early Peugeots were unbreakable, amazing tanks. It’s the later ones that were dog💩
I owned a 2000 XT brilliant car, everything fell to bits but the engine... stone 600,000km later or still runs!!!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are there any grease nipples on the universal joints or in any other places that you know of.
Thanks

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are there any grease nipples on the universal joints or in any other places that you know of.
Thanks
On the steering column - I didn't notice any.

Elsewhere on the vehicle - axles, etc, same, I've not noticed any yet.

Back
Top Bottom