The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Installed my boot rubber mat

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
Who knows ~ maybe it's better suited to your environment. I certainly don't think you've missed out!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi emax.
Are you happy with the new rubber mat you put into your Grenadier - is it working as you planned?

How does it stay in place over the existing floor?

Now that I have my 5 seater - I think the floor covering in my car looks different to yours (lighter grey and potentially softer).

Yes, it works so far. The mat is heavy and therefore lies quite flat. And the rubber has quite a bit of friction with the ground. The rails also help keep it in place. But afterwards I might clamp two or three cm of it under the back plastic cover. It's not necessary in my opinion, but it wouldn't hurt either.

What is more important is that the mat no longer smells after ten weeks of sun and rain on the balcony, but is neutral in the car.

Wueste

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to @emax !
I did it exactly the same way.
IMG_6894.jpegIMG_6898.jpeg
As I knew from the good instructions that I did not have to remove the airline rails, I saved time and work.
Therefore, I could treat myself to a beer, as I didn't have to work with electric, rotating machines.
IMG_6902.jpeg
finally , works just fine!

Greetings, wueste 😎

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Yes, it works so far. The mat is heavy and therefore lies quite flat. And the rubber has quite a bit of friction with the ground. The rails also help keep it in place. But afterwards I might clamp two or three cm of it under the back plastic cover. It's not necessary in my opinion, but it wouldn't hurt either.

What is more important is that the mat no longer smells after ten weeks of sun and rain on the balcony, but is neutral in the car.
good to hear.

I bought the rubber "dot" mat 2 weeks before I got my Grenadier and I soaked it for 2 hours in warm water and white vinegar.

About 80% of the smell gone and then I left it outside for 2 weeks. Now 90% of smell gone.

However, now I have my car - I see that the cargo area is covered in a softer vinyl rather than a harder plastic (like yours) and so I am not convinced to put the rubber in.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to @emax !
I did it exactly the same way.
View attachment 7825983View attachment 7825985
As I knew from the good instructions that I did not have to remove the airline rails, I saved time and work.
Therefore, I could treat myself to a beer, as I didn't have to work with electric, rotating machines.
View attachment 7825984
finally , works just fine!

Greetings, wueste 😎
Wueste - you have the different covering to emax but he continued with the rubber anyway. It does add more grip.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
In the utility the surface of the trunk is very slippery. It is not possible to safely store a plastic transport box there. It slides (and thereby scrapes) from side to side in even the smallest of turns and back and forth with every acceleration or braking. And I don't want to tie the box down every time I come out of a store.

With my mat it's not any more an issue.

Pierre

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does someone found a solution to protect also the side walls because they are very sensitive to scratches ?
Thanx

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does someone found a solution to protect also the side walls because they are very sensitive to scratches ?
Thanx
I use a boot liner from Titan Covers.

Crucial for me to keep wear down. Not super heavy duty but enough for me.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanx
I have bought some 4 way stretch carpet (As used in camper van conversions) which I will bond into place with adhesive. I feel the colour I ordered is too light a grey and will swap for something darker. Will hopefully do the job before Christmas.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today, I installed my boot rubber mat.

A trivial job, but I'll share my work anyway.

Why:
I have a utility with a dark grey liner in the boot. Right after the first transport of an 8 Kg "Böller" (saluting gun) the liner had the first ugly scratches, although I had strapped the thing quite well. The scratches might be normal for the use case. But the dark liner has only a dark surface but is bright inside. So any damage of the surface, even if very light, will be very visible. So I decided to install a rubber mat.

I bought a so-called SBR rubber mat, which is soft and heavy and can take a beating. But when you unwrap it, it stinks like hell, and it literally takes months to go away. I bought it in mid June and had to take it out onto the balcony where it has been in the rain and sun ever since. And now the smell has subsided to a "normal" level.

It is 3mm thick and 130cm x 100cm which is sufficient for a utility boot.I paid 28 € including shipping here: https://www.gummimatte.online/

That's the raw mat on the boot.You can see how soft it is and will thus stay flat after a while:

View attachment 7824055

This job is of course a Makita party, as usual:

View attachment 7824056

First thing was to remove the rails - I thought.
But later I saw that you can remove the liner by just lifting it over the rails. 🥳
But it definitely helped as I wasn't sure yet whether to mount the rails directly over the rubber or trim it to fit around the rails. After I removed them, it was clear that cutting is better, since the rails are recessed, and thus the rubber in the indentations would have been crumpled.
You need a T45 bit for the screws.

BTW: right to the Makita you see the scratches in the liner which are very clear visible due to the bright inside material of the liner. And the scratches are really not deep.

View attachment 7824057

The bare surface without rails:

View attachment 7824058

I traced the shape like this. A not too sharp pencil is a good choice as its reflections show up well on the black.
Note that the liner shape is not symmetrical. If you want a specific side of the elastic to face up, you must
place the insert the same way you placed the elastic: both upside down, or both upside up.
Here I have the bottom up for the rubber and also for the liner:
View attachment 7824059

As @DCPU has made it the de facto standard on this forum, we always document the part numbers. Here is the part number of the liner:

View attachment 7824060

After the first rough cutting:

View attachment 7824061

Since the liner has kind of a collar on the top, the mat is still too big:

View attachment 7824062

Better so see here. The collar is about 2-3mm which has to be cut off from the mat:

View attachment 7824063

The cut is not perfect. But that's just me. Soft materials are not my forte. I'm better with steel.
However, the shape of the liner is also a bit blurry.
View attachment 7824064
Great idea and job installing it!

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Weathertech is working on floor mats and cargo/trunk liner for the Grenadier (hopefully that will include a rail/no rail option). Their website has a “notify when available“ input.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Weathertech is working on floor mats and cargo/trunk liner for the Grenadier (hopefully that will include a rail/no rail option). Their website has a “notify when available“ input.
I pulled my VW Tiguan cargo liner out prior to selling and placed in the the "G" cargo area :)
Great news to hear about Weather Tech!
"Notify when available" done!

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
From Rubbertree. Ordered a couple of weeks ago and just delivered. Doesn't smell of rubber. Might slide around a bit but we'll see.
Very happy.
I think $140 aud. Already forgotten the pain!
Pedro

Attachments

• 20240207_170716.jpg
    20240207_170716.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 71

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Is there a way to retrofit the interior utility rail?

Back
Top Bottom