The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering and Poor Stability

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
I have just ticked over 15000 kms, on all kinds of tracks to highways. We hust had the car serviced including a wheel balance. It is like a different car, it now behaves including to speeds of 120km like a different car. Chalk and cheese.
Did you get a wheel alignment as well?

AWo

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Can you explain the drifference betwees "wheel balance" and "wheel alignment", please? I think I know what you mean but as a non-native English try-to-speak-and-writer I want to be sure.

AWo

Local time
12:10 PM
Reaction score
Can you explain the drifference betwees "wheel balance" and "wheel alignment", please? I think I know what you mean but as a non-native English try-to-speak-and-writer I want to be sure.

AWo
Hi AWo I think he means a wheel balance where the wheel is spun on a machine and weights added to the rim to achieve a dynamic balance against a wheel alignment which is an adjustment of the suspension to make sure the wheels are pointing in the right direction.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
My truck from the factory drove great. It tracked down the road perfectly straight. It always felt stable and I was confident and happy driving it.
I had the lift and 35s put on and they couldn't align it for a few days.
During those couple of days, the handling sucked. The higher the speed, the worse it felt.
It helped me see how some might be less than confident in their purchase if they left the dealer with a poor alignment.
I got the truck re-aligned yesterday and all is well again.
Bottom line- if you're unhappy with the way your truck tracks down the road, get it aligned. It makes a world of difference.

AWo

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi AWo I think he means a wheel balance where the wheel is spun on a machine and weights added to the rim to achieve a dynamic balance against a wheel alignment which is an adjustment of the suspension to make sure the wheels are pointing in the right direction.
Yes, I read it the same way. The reason I ask is the other post #121 where it was asked about a wheel alignment. Except the toe setting there should be no way to alter any wheel alignment with solid axles.
I know there are values given for the toe setting even at the rear axle, but can these really be altered or are these meant as tolerances? I just imagine changing the toe setting (if possible at all) at the rear axle in regards twisting the axle shaft and the drive flange.

AWo

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if this will self center? I'm contemplating removing the factory damper to see how it affects the steering. I'm already used to the lack of self centering, but I'd still prefer it to do so.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if this will self center? I'm contemplating removing the factory damper to see how it affects the steering. I'm already used to the lack of self centering, but I'd still prefer it to do so.
I am lucky in that mine does seem to self centre although not as quickly as my wife's X3.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am lucky in that mine does seem to self centre although not as quickly as my wife's X3.
That's interesting, I don't think I've heard anyone say that theirs fully self centers. Mine starts to center (especially at speed) but you have to finish the rotation about 1/2 way through otherwise it stops. Everyone seems to have a varying degree of self centering and this could just come down to castor, but even at the factory setting, I haven't heard of one that fully centers.

I'm going to call Agile Offroad today and ask about their fox stabilizer.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the steering is very positive and stable. I’ve been over some very serious terrain and hit huge pot holes at speed but everything still tight and aligned. 260km today on gravel road with corrugated sections. 100km per hour with centre diff locked. Very stable and feels reel safe. When feeling the back end slide just pile on a bit of power and pull out of it. I really do think the steering is great and I love driving rally style when on the better gravel or wide sand roads. 😍😍

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the steering is very positive and stable. I’ve been over some very serious terrain and hit huge pot holes at speed but everything still tight and aligned. 260km today on gravel road with corrugated sections. 100km per hour with centre diff locked. Very stable and feels reel safe. When feeling the back end slide just pile on a bit of power and pull out of it. I really do think the steering is great and I love driving rally style when on the better gravel or wide sand roads. 😍😍

I was easily doing 30-40 mph on some of the smoother back roads in Utah BLM land and it was rock solid.

My recommendation for anyone would be to get an alignment before swapping out any hardware.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was easily doing 30-40 mph on some of the smoother back roads in Utah BLM land and it was rock solid.

My recommendation for anyone would be to get an alignment before swapping out any hardware.
Definitely and that goes for suspension to in my view. I’m going to be looking at some spacer blocks for the springs rather than swapping them out as I think the current spring and shock setup is real smooth and a good compromise between carrying load and driving with lighter weights. Certainly today travelling at speed over undulating terrain it was real smooth and never hit the bump stops.

Rob Smeddle

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm in the UK. My vehicle is four months old. I was expecting to have to get used to the steering system from all the reviews. The stability at anything over 60mph feels unstable, but I thought it was just a characteristic and got used to driving slower, especially on motorways. I've got a loan car as mine is in for the software update and a few other things. The loaner stability is much better than mine, and it felt okay even at 80 miles per hour. My steering feels to have a bit more play when turning, and the loan car feels much more directional and safe. I'm waiting for the dealer to return, but I am worried that they will say nothing is wrong, and I have to live with it. Any thought on possible problems?
I promise you that your ‘feel’ will adapt to the Grenadier. I was a bit tentative to begin with even though I spent years adventuring in Africa (Lancashire to Cape Town a couple of times) in various Defenders. I now find the steering second nature and it proved ‘some machine’ in the snows of the Alps. For regular UK use I would go for the dual purpose rather the full off-road tyres. The dual purpose provide more precise steering. There where a few thinks that ii was a bit unsure of but now absolutely love the Grenadier. Today I drove my Defender Adventure for the first time in ages. I have retained it for nostalgic reasons. Only now do I appreciate what a brilliant job Ineos has performed. It really is the Defender successor.
Cheers Rob

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I will weigh in my two cents worth here. This basically applies to the USA. Almost ALL dealers and a majority of tire/alignment shops only understand modern steering and rack and pinion set ups. Old school recirculating ball set ups are “classic” car set ups. Due to this, if you want a real alignment you need to look for a shop with older folks that understand classic cars and they can set you up in no time. This is a super simple set up, but modern technology has created a breed of mechanics that rely on computers and garbage like that when this is something that requires some common sense and experience.

Local time
Reaction score
Everyone please listen to 🪵 splter. He has put this rig thru its paces like most of us only dream of and it has performed. All US dealers are prepping differtly with pre delivery inspection. Mine from Ko has been perfect. It’s a tank. Drives like a 4x4. Exceeded my expectations after weighing all posts on forum as a daily activity.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Ours has been transformed on the highway from feeling like our 1980s 110 farm vehicle, to being more planted than our previous D4. Seriously chalk and cheese. I suspect dealer pre delivery is everything hence the inconsistency.
I don’t think any dealer is doing alignment prior to a sale or delivery.

Local time
Reaction score
Ko in Mass is checking and correcting ailment as needed. I have read thru all posts and was expecting worst. Mine has exceeded my expectations. I drive 89 LC FJ62 and Cayenne. It drives more like later if you’ve logged the time with older set up 4x4. It’s awesome

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think any dealer is doing alignment prior to a sale or delivery.
There are definitely some that are; I'm not saying that it is part of their PDI for every vehicle, but alignments are being done by some for certain vehicles

Back
Top Bottom