The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare wheel lockable box

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
Seems odd that the washers appear to be normal ones crushed, rather than a bespoke Bellville type:
WP_20230609_099.jpgWP_20230609_100.jpgWP_20230609_101.jpg

And the rather crude keyway on the disk catches on the central spindle:
WP_20230609_115.jpgWP_20230609_110.jpg
WP_20230609_118.jpgWP_20230609_120.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Difficult to photograph, but easy to see, was rust in the bottoms of the enclosed wheel nuts:
WP_20230609_130.jpgWP_20230609_135.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I now recall my agent saying he was waiting on washers for the spare wheel. I wonder if they never arrived and he made do with what he had?

Can those that have done the task confirm whether they have proper conical shaped washers or just ordinary ones that look to have been crushed to fit?

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
Now that you all have had some time to spend with the spare wheel lock box, do you think it's worth what you were charged for it? I'm beginning to think $350 is a bit much for what's on offer and would be better spent towards a more robust after-market solution. How's the quality of the top part of the locking plastic cover? Sturdy, bendy?

Local time
Reaction score
Now that you all have had some time to spend with the spare wheel lock box, do you think it's worth what you were charged for it? I'm beginning to think $350 is a bit much for what's on offer and would be better spent towards a more robust after-market solution. How's the quality of the top part of the locking plastic cover? Sturdy, bendy?
Seems if it is plastic then anyone with a pry bar can pop it open, thereby defeating the purpose of a nice external storage location. Doesn’t bother me to have to put used materials, trash or laundry inside in a bag vs the cost of this.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Seems if it is plastic then anyone with a pry bar can pop it open, thereby defeating the purpose of a nice external storage location. Doesn’t bother me to have to put used materials, trash or laundry inside in a bag vs the cost of this.
Exactly what I'm thinking, which means it does not offer much advantage over the standard plastic cover. Does someone really want my dirty boots or some recovery straps that badly? Go for it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm thinking, which means it does not offer much advantage over the standard plastic cover. Does someone really want my dirty boots or some recovery straps that badly? Go for it.
It will stop honest thieves and inquisitive children.
They are basic door locks and standard glass windows so real thieves will get to anything in the vehicle if they want to.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Make it out of 3mm Ali or 1mm steel and an 18v angle grinder will still make getting in effortless...

It's fit for purpose, just don't leave your Rolex collection in it.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
...which has a similar lock to the spare wheel safe... ;) ...best place for your Rolex is on your wrist!
How's the hiking trip going Tazzieman? 🥾🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️
Having a coupla days' rest after 4 days on the coast route. Then Slovenian Alps which will be much tougher.
I brought a cheap watch on this trip but it didn't enjoy sea water. But I have a wife and a phone, so no need for wrist jewellery 😁

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
...which has a similar lock to the spare wheel safe... ;) ...best place for your Rolex is on your wrist!
How's the hiking trip going Tazzieman? 🥾🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️
Most important is that they do not share one key. That would certainly to practical for such a rough vehicle.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
Thought it worth passing on my experience today in removing the spare wheel. First the storage box has to be removed, however trying to unscrew the three torque screws was extremely difficult! They were so tight that I broke two of my torque keys but eventually managed. I reflected that I would not have been to pleased at trying to do this in the dark with the rain lashing down! Thought I would pass the experience on to others who might have the storage box option - worth checking(y)
Thanks to Tony to tell us the difficulty ... I did it today. Two torque screws were hard to remove, but I succeeded with the torque key of the Grenadier. The last one impossible. I had to use a longer torque key (TX40) and hit it with a rubber hammer.
Happy I did it now!
I took of the tire and did put it on a scale: 42 kg.
Although I am still quite fit, I am not the strongest man of the world (I am really skinny) so putting the tire back on the door wasn't easy. What will it be within 10 years when I am 76? I will have to travel with my grand-children :love:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to Tony to tell us the difficulty ... I did it today. Two torque screws were hard to remove, but I succeeded with the torque key of the Grenadier. The last one impossible. I had to use a longer torque key (TX40) and hit it with a rubber hammer.
Happy I did it now!
Although I am still quite fit, I am not the strongest man of the world (I am really skinny) so putting the tire back on the door wasn't easy. What will it be within 10 years when I am 76? I will have to travel with my grand-children :love:
Did you check those washers?

I didn't mention previously but my expensive Wera Torx bits were a poor fit in the 3 screws, they would not engage to the full depth; however the cheapo one included in the tool kit fitted much better.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It will stop honest thieves and inquisitive children.
They are basic door locks and standard glass windows so real thieves will get to anything in the vehicle if they want to.
I think I'm tumbling to the conclusion that a lock on the tire cover is an attractant for prying fingers (mus' be sumpin' good in der). I think I will go with the standard cover, but I very much appreciate the input.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you check those washers?

I didn't mention previously but my expensive Wera Torx bits were a poor fit in the 3 screws, they would not engage to the full depth; however the cheapo one included in the tool kit fitted much better.
Is that one up for Chinese steel then - short on substance, therefore they fit

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You just find a 20kg combo and lift that to chest height 20x each day, not all at once. Each week you add 2 kg until you reach 40kg.
Then you maintain.
Strength is but a skill.
Nobody carrying my suitcases upstairs when I travel in my 70s 😁

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
You just find a 20kg combo and lift that to chest height 20x each day, not all at once. Each week you add 2 kg until you reach 40kg.
Then you maintain.
Strength is but a skill.
Nobody carrying my suitcases upstairs when I travel in my 70s 😁
That's because you always get rooms on first floor.

Back
Top Bottom