The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare wheel lockable box

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
You just find a 20kg combo and lift that to chest height 20x each day, not all at once. Each week you add 2 kg until you reach 40kg.
Then you maintain.
Strength is but a skill.
Nobody carrying my suitcases upstairs when I travel in my 70s 😁
Nobody carrying my suitcase either, and during my trekking in Nepal some 7 years ago I carried my 20kg rucksack myself although there were Nepalese carriers (I got a lot of sympathy from them!). I was (for once) travelling in a group. Usually I travel alone or with my partner.
And I am still playing "some" judo. My morphology isn't suited to heavy lifting, and I am getting older anyway.
But I understand what you say ... (y)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
My morphology isn't suited to heavy lifting
How about your descendants?
Anyway there is usually a good Samaritan to assist if and when the wheel needs to back in its place. Usually, often - but not always.
A combination of brains and brawn will get the job done!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
Nobody carrying my suitcase either, and during my trekking in Nepal some 7 years ago I carried my 20kg rucksack myself although there were Nepalese carriers (I got a lot of sympathy from them!). I was (for once) travelling in a group. Usually I travel alone or with my partner.
And I am still playing "some" judo. My morphology isn't suited to heavy lifting, and I am getting older anyway.
But I understand what you say ... (y)
Only if necessary in ten years or so: Spare Tire Hoist to the rescue:

I'm confident you can rig one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you use hotels with more than 1 floor that don't have things called lifts.
We rarely ever stay in hotels when we travel, mostly airbnb.
Usually lots of narrow stairs in Sardinia, Sicily and Italy.
Also cobbled streets and narrow walkways.
We also like to stay in the old parts of a town amongst the natives.
My job is mostly behind a desk or in a car so before going on holiday I started training with a weights vest and with my backpack on.
I have had both my knees replaced so need to be cautious of knee injuries.
I have used a 5.11 Rush 72 black backpack & 5.11 MOAB6 day pack for last 10 years.
They are robust enough for the 72 to go into checked baggage and the MOAB to be used as carry on and a day pack.
The MOAB 6 is small enough to swivel around to the front when walking in crowds and the buildings where you are not allowed backpacks.
We often travel by train so getting on and off and up and down train station stairs becomes very important.
Along with clothes that wash & dry easily and don't need an iron.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJF6ZEa9w0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvaLGa1j3Fs

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Now that you all have had some time to spend with the spare wheel lock box, do you think it's worth what you were charged for it? I'm beginning to think $350 is a bit much for what's on offer and would be better spent towards a more robust after-market solution. How's the quality of the top part of the locking plastic cover? Sturdy, bendy?
From what I saw on Friday and having a good look over it and from what the owner said, I'm happy with the lock box, it's waterproof from what I could see (it's been raining heavily here)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We rarely ever stay in hotels when we travel, mostly airbnb.
Usually lots of narrow stairs in Sardinia, Sicily and Italy.
Also cobbled streets and narrow walkways.
We also like to stay in the old parts of a town amongst the natives.
My job is mostly behind a desk or in a car so before going on holiday I started training with a weights vest and with my backpack on.
I have had both my knees replaced so need to be cautious of knee injuries.
I have used a 5.11 Rush 72 black backpack & 5.11 MOAB6 day pack for last 10 years.
They are robust enough for the 72 to go into checked baggage and the MOAB to be used as carry on and a day pack.
The MOAB 6 is small enough to swivel around to the front when walking in crowds and the buildings where you are not allowed backpacks.
We often travel by train so getting on and off and
Same here. One rule for weeks away are no large suitcases/ nothing over 20kg. Walking boots and other bits for a long stint O/S add up, and the suitcase weight reduces the GVM.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
I'll rig some sort of pulley(s) attachment to rear roof bar or rack. Work smarter etc...

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
I think I said it in another post - when I got to see the lockable box for real, I removed it from my build. I'm glad though that IA spent all the engineering effort on making the base car great (rather than the plastic afterthoughts).

In it's place you'll receive the standard (plastic) cover that is - in IMO - also garbage. It's flexible, and spins. It'll become the most nuisance-damaged/ stolen IG item, from cars parked on the street in urban areas.

Melville and Moon will do well

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
I like it, but considered the safety of the lock more in the sense of it not opening on the road rather than being safe from getting stuff stolen.
I might build something else in the future though…

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
I like it, but considered the safety of the lock more in the sense of it not opening on the road rather than being safe from getting stuff stolen.
I might build something else in the future though…
Hi das mo, Here's an idea for the lockable storage lock. Put a thin black painted magnet on top of the chrome lock opening to disguise it from
being a lock. That way potential thieves will only think it is a plain tire cover. At least will keep most away from snooping around it. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom