The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare wheel lockable box

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
After reading all the comments, I’ve done the exercise of removing the cover and spare wheel.. It was a piece of piss three minute job in my case…. The hex screws came out with no trouble, ditto the spare. There was enough torque on all the fixing to prevent them working lose and no thread lock present. The cover acts as a stud catcher which would be handy on a dark and stormy night.

My Gren was a mid December build and has the alloy wheel spare. Now they are off, I’ll apply a smidge of silicone grease before putting them back on.

Used all the Ineos tools..
I took mine off on day 1, replaced the tyre and put it back on. No issues… noticed how beautiful the back of the Grenadier is without the spare mounted. Considering a roof carrier now 🤪

Attachments

• 717E916F-A3E0-4F33-B911-3289AFDBC5FC.jpeg
    717E916F-A3E0-4F33-B911-3289AFDBC5FC.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 132

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took mine off on day 1, replaced the tyre and put it back on. No issues… noticed how beautiful the back of the Grenadier is without the spare mounted. Considering a roof carrier now 🤪
I’ve also got to say I really like the lockable cover. Don’t think I’ll ever lock it, but I got it for a reason- to undress my son and dump his muddy gear in it after school everyday. And for that purpose, it’s absolutely worth the money. If your kids love mud, get it. Next week we’ll be at the WRC Safari Rally and I imagine the cover will be immeasurably useful. It’s basically 4 days of mud, dust and all things lovely! Plastic over fabric for sure if it’s for multi day utility.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Though I have not seen the locking storage box - the plastic looks very low grade to justify the $350 cost.
It definitely seems fairly durable in use and overall feel; notably better plastic (and better mounting design) than the non-storage "cover" that is standard

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
are these indentations in the bodywork...? perhaps caused by wheel in contact with door?

717E916F-A3E0-4F33-B911-3289AFDBC5FC.jpeg

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
are these indentations in the bodywork...? perhaps caused by wheel in contact with door?

View attachment 7818122
There are not supposed to be indentations there.... I don't think it's from the wheel contacting it because they tyre carrier isn't centered between them

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
There are not supposed to be indentations there.... I don't think it's from the wheel contacting it because they tyre carrier isn't centered between them
Maybe this is the cause - she walked into the door??

Attachments

• OIP.P7iPlD4QTQ3e-UO_WRppuQHaJU.jpeg
    OIP.P7iPlD4QTQ3e-UO_WRppuQHaJU.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 74

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the lockbox in the spare wheel and although pretty happy with it, I would be hesitant to heartily recommend it at the price charged.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
Is the lockbox sized to the wheel? Ie is the lockbox on the 18" larger than the 17"

Is it like to work with aftermarket wheels?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I don't know about the 17" vs. 18" size.

But mounting is IMO only a question of the rim depth. Aftermarket rims of the same depth should do. And if the depth is greater, it should be possible to mount it with some spacers behind box. And thinner rims are unlikely to be a choice for the car.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the lockbox sized to the wheel? Ie is the lockbox on the 18" larger than the 17"

I have the tools locker on my vehicle. It has a lip round its diameter which I imagine is wide enough to cover the rim of the 18” as well as the 17”.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It is a single size, designed to work for the 17" or 18" wheels AFAIK

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom