The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Cover

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
They will have a solution. The self closing door is a really week spot at the old Defender. Most owners I know (including me myself and I) have changed the original door opener in a gas strut.
I think that Ineos killed all big problems of the old Defender. So they will have a solution for the door for sure!

I hope
Otherwise, we hook a chain from the door to the airline rails on the right side. Or a rope, then not so much scratches. I have not fitted a gas damper in my Defender. You stand against it and hold the door open. Don't be a pussy. :cool:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Otherwise, we hook a chain from the door to the airline rails on the right side. Or a rope, then not so much scratches. I have not fitted a gas damper in my Defender. You stand against it and hold the door open. Don't be a pussy. :cool:
Come on man. I’ve driven toyota’s for 25 years. They might be as bland as chicken soup, but I’m used to everything just working. 😉🥰

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Come on man. I’ve driven toyota’s for 25 years. They might be as bland as chicken soup, but I’m used to everything just working. 😉🥰
Hello, Big Lebowski! ;)
My old Toyota with its two doors at the back keeps it open, without anything. You open them, first the left door, then the right door - and that´s it. It keeps open. I´m okay with that. I think, the Grenadier will do the same. Finished.
Oh we are lucky guys - do we know that? An idea becomes real - it is such a great thing for me! I allways wantet a Defender, I liked (and still like) the look of this toy - but I didn´t buy it, because I´m not a mechanic, and I only want to drive and enjoy... now the INEOS is for me the perfect combination from the Defender an my Toyota ( a) the look and b)no problems ).
I LOVE IT!

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that “door lock” that they use on the Toyota LC Prado rear swinging door was the most stupid solution to holding a rear door open I have ever seen. Sure it “worked”, but so did wedging a block of 4x2 in the door.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As with everything there is no one solution that suits all markets and all needs.
In Australia it's a good spot to store recovery ropes, gloves, soft shackles that don't rattle.
And a dirt bag covers the area so thieves aren't tempted.
Yep, mine will have a tree trunk protector, a winch extension rope, some soft shackles, a couple of recovery rings stuffed inside a pair of gloves so they dont rattle. There have been a number of occasions when I didn’t set out to offroad but saw a noce little track and headed off up it only to find it getting hairier than I anticipated. I like the idea that with the integrated winch I will always have the ability to do some self recovery even if I wasn’t planning to need it. Also nice to not have to dig through the crap in the back to find the recovery gear and to put it somewhere where it won’t mess the car up if it gets wet and muddy.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The only time the door will be any issue is on a steep side slope when you've left your recovery gear deep inside (you dolt!) or there's a Beaufort force 7 & or greater wind threatening to brain you.
After the Disco 1 rear door that weighs about 100kg , the Ineos one will be a piece of cake, if not a can of @bigleonski s chook soup.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
They will have a solution. The self closing door is a really week spot at the old Defender. Most owners I know (including me myself and I) have changed the original door opener in a gas strut.
I think that Ineos killed all big problems of the old Defender. So they will have a solution for the door for sure!

I hope
I hope they do but I'm not convinced a standard gas strut is ever going to be the long term answer.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope they do but I'm not convinced a standard gas strut is ever going to be the long term answer.
They have gas struts on horse box ramps, and they are heavy, and you will be surprised how long they last. The other point about a gas strut is that it doesn't just " fail", it's a progressive loss and you have plenty on time to replace it.

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the spare tire mounted storage box still locks? Currently the configuration page does not show a lock.

Attachments

• Rear View.jpg
    Rear View.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the spare tire mounted storage box still locks? Currently the configuration page does not show a lock.
It was missed off my original contract ; I asked for it to be dded , and 3 weeks later was sent a new contract with
"Spare Wheel Lockable Storage Box" in the options list.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One issue which I guess we wont know the answer to until ther are cars on the road is will the rear door hit the jockey wheel on your trailer?
I’m pretty sure it will, but where on the door will it hit? If it hits the tyre rubber then perfect. Bit if it hits the paintwork then thats an issue. I might try and find some of that plastic checker plate that LR are using and stick a bit on the rear door to protect the paintwork.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One issue which I guess we wont know the answer to until ther are cars on the road is will the rear door hit the jockey wheel on your trailer?
I’m pretty sure it will, but where on the door will it hit? If it hits the tyre rubber then perfect. Bit if it hits the paintwork then thats an issue. I might try and find some of that plastic checker plate that LR are using and stick a bit on the rear door to protect the paintwork.
I've managed all this time > 20 years with a Discovery back door with no problem. Since the Grenadier door sections are smaller because of the split there should be even less of a problem. Perhaps I'm just to careful 😎

Back
Top Bottom