The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Cover

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Das kann ich verstehen. Ich habe selbst eine abschließbare Reserverad-Box. Das dort verbaute Schloss ist leider von minderwertiger Qualität. Das gleiche gilt für das Schloss in der abschließbaren Mittelkonsole. Der gleiche Schrott. Da hat Ineos sich keinen Gefallen getan, bei diesen beiden Schlössern so an der Qualität zu sparen. Ich habe für die beiden Schlösser vier Schlüssel. Keiner der Schlüssel sperrt an der Mittelkonsole, zwei Schlüssel sperren die Reserverad-Box, aber auch nur widerwillig. Am falschen Fleck gespart. Es gibt wohl doch schon dumme, dumme Kostenrechner bei Ineos. Schade eigentlich. Diese Deppen, die solche Schlösser kaufen, sollte man entlassen. Sofort.
For the benefit of the community

“I can understand that. I have a lockable spare wheel box myself. Unfortunately, the lock installed there is of inferior quality. The same applies to the lock in the lockable center console. The same scrap. Ineos has done himself no favor to save on the quality of these two locks. I have four keys for the two locks. None of the keys lock on the center console, two keys lock the spare wheel box, but only reluctantly. Saved in the wrong place. There are probably already stupid, stupid cost calculators at Ineos. Too bad actually. These idiots who buy such locks should be released. Immediately.“

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Das kann ich verstehen. Ich habe selbst eine abschließbare Reserverad-Box. Das dort verbaute Schloss ist leider von minderwertiger Qualität. Das gleiche gilt für das Schloss in der abschließbaren Mittelkonsole. Der gleiche Schrott. Da hat Ineos sich keinen Gefallen getan, bei diesen beiden Schlössern so an der Qualität zu sparen. Ich habe für die beiden Schlösser vier Schlüssel. Keiner der Schlüssel sperrt an der Mittelkonsole, zwei Schlüssel sperren die Reserverad-Box, aber auch nur widerwillig. Am falschen Fleck gespart. Es gibt wohl doch schon dumme, dumme Kostenrechner bei Ineos. Schade eigentlich. Diese Deppen, die solche Schlösser kaufen, sollte man entlassen. Sofort.
This is how it looks now (without the lock barrel):

IMG_8252.jpeg

And this is the new “key” (very cheap plastic that is going to snap soon if used):

IMG_8239.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
For the benefit of the community

“I can understand that. I have a lockable spare wheel box myself. Unfortunately, the lock installed there is of inferior quality. The same applies to the lock in the lockable center console. The same scrap. Ineos has done himself no favor to save on the quality of these two locks. I have four keys for the two locks. None of the keys lock on the center console, two keys lock the spare wheel box, but only reluctantly. Saved in the wrong place. There are probably already stupid, stupid cost calculators at Ineos. Too bad actually. These idiots who buy such locks should be released. Immediately.“
Hi Stu, That's a bummer as the idea of a proper locking cubby and spare wheel box was a great idea. They just need to upgrade the locks and not downgrade them. Hell, they could even charge another $10-$20 for the lock options, which anyone would gladly pay if they wanted that option. Oh, I think I already paid for that. Downgrading the locks is not the way to go. DaBull

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that Ineos so often has led us down this path. So many things promised, and not delivered.

The most glaring for US customers of course is that we are days or weeks away from getting our vehicles - and there is no inkling of the service network. It went from Bosch service centers to some Bosch service centers to talk to a dealer.

No FSM, no promised online parts catalog, no service, no roadside, etc, etc.

Frustrating to be sure.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the aftermarket will come up with a replacement that is much more durable. It's too good of an idea to consign to the sunset.
That is what my plans are. $350 for a locking rear cover just did not smell right - I've seen other aftermarket versions that were about the same price but much higher grade. From talking to a friend who has a 3D printer - almost anything we want aftermarket could be copied and made with different materials.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is how it looks now (without the lock barrel):

View attachment 7832995

And this is the new “key” (very cheap plastic that is going to snap soon if used):

View attachment 7832996
This makes the standard non-lockerble cover a better bet because you need the supplied tool/spanner to open it. Then just add a small canvas bag inside. Or isn't there any room?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
This makes the standard non-lockerble cover a better bet because you need the supplied tool/spanner to open it. Then just add a small canvas bag inside.
You put a large canvas dirt bag on the outside. Nobody will bother trying to get underneath something that grubby. Except me.
But maybe dirtbags aren't a thing in Europe?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This makes the standard non-lockerble cover a better bet because you need the supplied tool/spanner to open it. Then just add a small canvas bag inside. Or isn't there any room?
The standard cover attaches to a large plastic centre cone, which occupies the centre of the cavity. So there is still space around it, but harder to use. You could of course remove the cone and create your own entire lockable box, and probably improve on the ineos one. I havent really tested it yet, but would suggest anyone doing this really focus on dust sealing it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Some how my "gut feelings" told me not to order the lockable spare wheel case.. Even with a Wheel cover on top. - The spray, mud, dirt at read would perhaps effect the lock..so I am hoping for an installable aftermarket lockable case that fits in and has a proper lock with a water and dirt proof flap covering the lock.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some how my "gut feelings" told me not to order the lockable spare wheel case.. Even with a Wheel cover on top. - The spray, mud, dirt at read would perhaps effect the lock..so I am hoping for an installable aftermarket lockable case that fits in and has a proper lock with a water and dirt proof flap covering the lock.
You may have been right there Klarie. My lockable box has a really bad lock, key is a real bugger to get in and out, hoping it improves with use but still very tricky. I do however really like the outside stowage for wet kit/dog food etc etc. A fine use of space.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree. The idea of a plastic, exterior storage bin lasting more than a month of hard use is a joke. Much better ways to spend your money.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree. The idea of a plastic, exterior storage bin lasting more than a month of hard use is a joke. Much better ways to spend your money.
The "spare wheel lockable storage box" is a great piece of kit, I am very happy with it and think it was worth every cent. The plastics used are robust and the basic design is fine. Is the lock a bit low rent? Yes, but the barrel is a very generic design that should be easy to replace. It's not designed to be a high security lock box to secure your Glock or gold bars in, its a place to stash dirty & wet gloves/socks/shoes/clothing to keep the funk out of the inside of your vehicle. Will the local miscreants be able to easily pop the lock and steal your dirty drawers, yes but good luck to them.

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The warranty should cover it though, yeah? I fully intend to store precious canned goods, aka beers, in there. If someone is so hard up for a coldy that they break into my semi-secure secret stash… kudos, but also, baseball bat. So like, do what you will

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The warranty should cover it though, yeah? I fully intend to store precious canned goods, aka beers, in there. If someone is so hard up for a coldy that they break into my semi-secure secret stash… kudos, but also, baseball bat. So like, do what you will
Fits ten cans fairly easily, might be a bit frothy depending on how bumpy the roads are.
Cans.jpg

Back
Top Bottom