The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Cover

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Ah, I thought you just wanted to move away from the issue of dust in a normal key lock barrel. 👍

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
How different? Can you share your thoughts?
The boxes seem mostly plastic - not metal.
Also it looks like there is no interior shelf or separators. What I dislike if the stuff stored inside is falling around and may be noisy. - Also I like finding and not searching in some bags.
What I also like - is if I had a kind of foldable handle and could after unlocking - the entire box take out and carry it to the place where the equipment inside is needed.
E.g. kind a push to unlock or rotate by a few degrees like a bolt lock, to lock unlock - and then carry the box. - Something like this.
Also the visual presence of a key hole there bugs me - it tells everybody. There is something inside valuable enough that is worth to be locked.

Something like this I had in mind.. Not a simple flap down door molded plastic etc.. .. There I get my problem on value for money. - In all other places Ineos has invested quite a lot of robust capabilities.. but that one just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Also it looks like there is no interior shelf or separators. What I dislike if the stuff stored inside is falling around and may be noisy. - Also I like finding and not searching in some bags.
What I also like - is if I had a kind of foldable handle and could after unlocking - the entire box take out and carry it to the place where the equipment inside is needed.
E.g. kind a push to unlock or rotate by a few degrees like a bolt lock, to lock unlock - and then carry the box. - Something like this.
Also the visual presence of a key hole there bugs me - it tells everybody. There is something inside valuable enough that is worth to be locked.

Something like this I had in mind.. Not a simple flap down door molded plastic etc.. .. There I get my problem on value for money. - In all other places Ineos has invested quite a lot of robust capabilities.. but that one just doesn't fit in my opinion.
As with everything there is no one solution that suits all markets and all needs.
In Australia it's a good spot to store recovery ropes, gloves, soft shackles that don't rattle.
And a dirt bag covers the area so thieves aren't tempted.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As with everything there is no one solution that suits all markets and all needs.
In Australia it's a good spot to store recovery ropes, gloves, soft shackles that don't rattle.
And a dirt bag covers the area so thieves aren't tempted.
exactly .. a full cover of spare wheel is something that is a must. Yesterday evening I was out to monitor some grass land that is usually attacked by boar. due to a mixture of rain and snow the area became muddy and wet. The rear of my disco is now rather brown and nicely covered.. so the pressure washer is required.. usual procedure. A covered lock eg by a dirt bag.. is mandatory.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

I think someone mentioned something like shadow foam or pick & pluck, if you have a set idea of what you are going to store?

I like the idea of it being removeable. Maybe something similar to the locks for panniers on motorbikes?

👍

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's an excellent grill. But it is only clamped over the wheel.

So you have to secure two items ...

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I know it‘s over the wheel, I‘ d prefer a version which in intergrated in a removable Spare wheel box.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve optioned the lockable spare wheel storage box. But as it will contain probably items I don’t use much, I think I’ll add a spare wheel cover over it to stop UV damage to the tyre

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For me, that would just mean any items in the lockable box might as well be put in a time capsule.

Those covers are a bugger to get on, so I'm not taking it off until I absolutely have to.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
exactly .. a full cover of spare wheel is something that is a must. Yesterday evening I was out to monitor some grass land that is usually attacked by boar. due to a mixture of rain and snow the area became muddy and wet. The rear of my disco is now rather brown and nicely covered.. so the pressure washer is required.. usual procedure. A covered lock eg by a dirt bag.. is mandatory.
Do you think that dust will manage to get itself between the door and wheels face? If I’m not mistaken, most soft tire covers sort of end just past the width of the rear tire, leaving the side facing the door essentially uncovered. Typically this is the inside of the wheel so it’s not a big deal. However in the case of the IG that would be the face of the wheel. This would be more an issue with the alloys than steelies.

1670161274279.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, that doesn't make sense imho.

The cover has a 'closed' surface on the outside. So you can not mount it the other way, i.e. the 'closed' part towards the door.

But may be I didn't get it. :unsure:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
No. that’s just showing that the “inside” is not protected. The outward facing side is protected by the cover but the part against the door is not. Thus any dust or debris that can fit between the mount and door itself can collect on the wheel face. Does that make better sense?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, now it's clear.

I think it's common to all the covers that they don't hermetically cover the wheel. My assumption is that mainly the UV-part of sunlight and direct mud shall be blocked.

And in the context of the discussion, it should as well make the locked box invisible.

But dirt on a 4x4 creeping into the gaps of the spare wheel is probably not a shame. ;-)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The other thing I recall with the soft cover on my Discovery rear wheel is that the inner edge where it wrinkled up touched the paintwork in a number of places and ending up rubbing quite bad witness marks through the paint.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's annoying. Not only on a (real) Defender, but even worse on a new, shiny Grenadier.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

I think someone mentioned something like shadow foam or pick & pluck, if you have a set idea of what you are going to store?

I like the idea of it being removeable. Maybe something similar to the locks for panniers on motorbikes?

👍

Perhaps. The idea was to stow some stuff beside of rope/ latches/ hooks, supplementary first aid kit & HV-vests, orange flash lights, chemical light stick, gloves, markers (items that perhas need to be accessible w/o opening the vehicle. Stupid things happen .. in particular in forestry. The insert should allow for sorted storage. - So what do I need in case of urgency.
The box should be dust and water resistant and the lock should not be seen or covered. A dustcover - perhaps covering entire wheel? maybe - but from a material that does not affect paint. I am aware - dust mud and water goes anywhere over time - so the lock should be protected. I have to remove dead game (car accident) frequently. So to be safe and seen on roadside ..

Back
Top Bottom