The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side Runners or Rock Sliders?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Still content with your Buzz sliders?

I’m about to reserve a set. Going to be a bit steep here, but they’re still the ones that appeal to me the most.
Still think they are the best of both worlds that I have seen so far. Extremely strong sliders whist providing a very useful and functional step. Aesthetically, just right for the Grenadier.

Lance May

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
If anyone has the factory rock sliders, can you get me 2 accurate measurements.
1 - The ground clearance from the bottom of the lower tube to the ground.
2 - The ground clearance from the bottom of the upper tube to the ground.
Let me know what size rim and tire you are on too.
Working on a potential project with a manufacture...
Thanks, DaBull
Please keep me in the loop. I see you are in California. I run White Knuckle Off-road Sliders on my FJ 40 and just replaced the “stock” read light cheap aluminum ones on my 23 Tacoma TRD Pro with the White Knuckle. One of the first things I’ll do a deep dive on will be the factory sliders. I’m sure that will be one of the first unbolt and trash items unless they are really stout. Good sliders and skids are a must.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Please keep me in the loop. I see you are in California. I run White Knuckle Off-road Sliders on my FJ 40 and just replaced the “stock” read light cheap aluminum ones on my 23 Tacoma TRD Pro with the White Knuckle. One of the first things I’ll do a deep dive on will be the factory sliders. I’m sure that will be one of the first unbolt and trash items unless they are really stout. Good sliders and skids are a must.
Hi Lance May, I am in the process of finalizing an order for custom rock sliders and will report back with more information as things come together. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dabull, let me know too. I ordered steps but prefer sliders with a step built into it. I like the look of the buzz overland ones.
You would really like the Buzz sliders. Very high quality and incredibly strong, providing max ground clearance as well as a useful step.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 79

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dabull, let me know too. I ordered steps but prefer sliders with a step built into it. I like the look of the buzz overland ones.
Hi parb, Will do. Hoping to get some final information very soon. DaBull

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
I got my Buzz Overland rock sliders on Monday (a little bit more than 7 weeks delivery time from the UK to Belgium).
Cost was:
  • 1675 euro including shipping
  • 425 euro Value Added Tax (VAT 21% in Belgium) + some administrative clearance costs =25% more (I hate BREXIT).
  • TOTAL: 2100 euro.
  • Weight of parcel: 49 kg
  • Sent by DHL
20231211_153632.jpg

As you can see: very well packed!
I had to unpack the sliders to be able to lift them to the back of my house (where my Grenadier is parked). Each slider is about 25 kg. @Tazzieman would probably lift the whole box with one arm :LOL:

20231211_154753.jpg

The box should contain:
  • two rock sliders
  • two sets of 3 M12 bolts of 3 cm + 3 washers for the middle support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm, 4 nuts + 4 washers for the rear support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm for the front side (there are welded bolt on the frame of the Grenadier)
Why different sizes or fixations for the three support, only the Grenadier Engineers know!

But, Buzz Overland forgot one set of M10 bolts, and I warned @RyanT immediately.
20231211_162655 1 set.jpg

I accept that humans make mistakes, but I have to say that the reaction of @RyanT was very fast: he immediately (same day) ordered the missing parts in Belgium, hoping that I would get them the next day (Tuesday), but due to late ordering on Monday and administrative problems the package arrived only today (Thursday). So thanks Ryan for solving the problem as fast as you could! (y)

On Tuesday I mounted the step on the passenger side, using the instructions of Ryan, without problems: 70 minutes, only with mechanical tools and arm force:
20231214_145142.jpg

And today the driver side took me only 50 minutes:
20231214_134959.jpg20231214_140540.jpg

Final result:
20231214_142703.jpg

The cardboard is part of the packaging of the rock sliders.

Some improvement points for Buzz Overland:
  • make a checklist of points to double check before sending (quantity of bags, e-mail address, delivery address, etc.)
  • insert the mounting instructions in the box (on paper) - although it is quite straightforward.
But I am really happy with the service, explanation and correction of mistakes!

Thanks @RyanT

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Looks like I made the right decision.

Side note - stainless hardware?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like I made the right decision.

Side note - stainless hardware?
Yes, Ryan explained this here:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Yes, Ryan explained this here:
Hi Jean - I knew the runners themselves were SS, wasn't sure about the bolts, washers, etc.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jean - I knew the runners themselves were SS, wasn't sure about the bolts, washers, etc.
Ah OK ...
That is indeed a good question!
The bolts and nuts and washers delivered by Buzz, I don't know.

The bolts and nuts they ordered in Belgium are ZnPt (Clear Passivated, Zinc Steel).
The washers are Bright Zinc Plated Steel, I guess this is the same.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hmm looks like Buzz overland have not put any of the raised dimples in the middle of the steps, just so they can put their branding text there. The raised dimples add traction to the step but yet the most used portion of the step is devoid of them. i would much rather have the dimples there for added grip.

Last edited:

RyanT

Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
I got my Buzz Overland rock sliders on Monday (a little bit more than 7 weeks delivery time from the UK to Belgium).
Cost was:
  • 1675 euro including shipping
  • 425 euro Value Added Tax (VAT 21% in Belgium) + some administrative clearance costs =25% more (I hate BREXIT).
  • TOTAL: 2100 euro.
  • Weight of parcel: 49 kg
  • Sent by DHL
View attachment 7835891

As you can see: very well packed!
I had to unpack the sliders to be able to lift them to the back of my house (where my Grenadier is parked). Each slider is about 25 kg. @Tazzieman would probably lift the whole box with one arm :LOL:

View attachment 7835892

The box should contain:
  • two rock sliders
  • two sets of 3 M12 bolts of 3 cm + 3 washers for the middle support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm, 4 nuts + 4 washers for the rear support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm for the front side (there are welded bolt on the frame of the Grenadier)
Why different sizes or fixations for the three support, only the Grenadier Engineers know!

But, Buzz Overland forgot one set of M10 bolts, and I warned @RyanT immediately.
View attachment 7835893

I accept that humans make mistakes, but I have to say that the reaction of @RyanT was very fast: he immediately (same day) ordered the missing parts in Belgium, hoping that I would get them the next day (Tuesday), but due to late ordering on Monday and administrative problems the package arrived only today (Thursday). So thanks Ryan for solving the problem as fast as you could! (y)

On Tuesday I mounted the step on the passenger side, using the instructions of Ryan, without problems: 70 minutes, only with mechanical tools and arm force:
View attachment 7835894

And today the driver side took me only 50 minutes:
View attachment 7835895View attachment 7835896

Final result:
View attachment 7835897

The cardboard is part of the packaging of the rock sliders.

Some improvement points for Buzz Overland:
  • make a checklist of points to double check before sending (quantity of bags, e-mail address, delivery address, etc.)
  • insert the mounting instructions in the box (on paper) - although it is quite straightforward.
But I am really happy with the service, explanation and correction of mistakes!

Thanks @RyanT
Thanks Jean, really appreciate the feedback and am very pleased you are happy with them.

RyanT

Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Krabby,

We went with zinc plated hardware. Reason being we found that there was a tendency for the threads on the stainless steel hardware to gaul even with being careful. Once this happens they are an absolute pig to remove. As such we dignity wan't to risk customer shaving the same issue we had. The hardware is pretty standard so ion one wanted to go the stainless steel route they would be easy enough to source.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmm looks like Buzz overland have not put any of the raised dimples in the middle of the steps, just so they can put their branding text there. The raised dimples add traction to the step but yet the most used portion of the step is devoid of them. i would much rather have the dimples there for added grip.
Hi Xrford. As a user of the Buzz product I can assure you that lack of grip, will not be a problem.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Are those three bolts at the end of that long bracket representative of all the mounting bolts? Surely there needs to be some good fasteners closer to the pinch weld or under the edge of the body. If not, the leverage factor is certainly not in your favor.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are those three bolts at the end of that long bracket representative of all the mounting bolts? Surely there needs to be some good fasteners closer to the pinch weld or under the edge of the body. If not, the leverage factor is certainly not in your favor.
I can’t say for certain but it looks solid enough that I would be willing to attempt jacking up the side of the vehicle from any point. That said there are purpose built jacking points fore and aft.
I guess your question is more regarding grounding of the vehicle on a boulder? At this point I couldn’t truly predict the outcome.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 3 bolts are on the middle bracket and are M12 (12mm)
The other ends are 2 times 4 bolts, M10 (thinner bolts of 10 mm)
The choice for it are Ineos', not the providers of alternative side steps or rock sliders.
The quality of the bolts (zinc plated, stainless steel or plain iron) are of course a choice of each particular provider.

(I always accepted corrections on my sayings with arguments :) )

Back
Top Bottom