The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side Runners or Rock Sliders?

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Make the decision based on what you need, because the two options are very different.

Side runners or "side steps" are there to provide a step, to help you get into the vehicle or to reach the roof. They offer no protection from rocks, and can actually increase damage to the vehicle if you get hung up in the rocks. This happens because side runners reduce ground clearance, making it more likely that you hit a rock, and the impact to the side runner can damage your rocker panel, and maybe your door. Side runners are a great option if you need a step, and don't need protection on rocky trails.

Rock sliders are much heavier than side runners; they are made from steel that is strong enough to support the entire vehicle. They offer protection to your vehicle when off-roading in technical rocky terrain. You can jack up the vehicle using the rock slider as your point of contact - that's how strong they are. But there are downsides: (1) they are heavy (sliders this length will weigh between 100-150 pounds for the pair - depending on construction; I haven't seen a weight provided by Ineos), and (2) they aren't great as "side steps" due to the angle at which they are mounted (which is intentional, as it maximizes ground clearance and the ability to slide over rocks). So you get reduced convenience as a step, and reduced payload in your vehicle due to the weight of the slider. Rock sliders are a bad option unless you need the protection.

Here are a list of rock sliders that I checked-out for my 2017 Tacoma. The columns are (1) Manufacturer, (2) Material: the main difference is strength. HREW (hot rolled electric welded) metal is milder steel, which is still plenty strong, with a yield strength of 40ksi. DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel is the same material which does not have a welded seam, with a yield strength of roughly 70ksi; and (3) Weight in pounds for the pair.

CompanyMaterialPoundsRCIHREW120CBIHREW110CBIDOM130PelfreybiltDOM / HREW100Metal TechDOM132All Pro?120BAMFHREW?MobtownDOM150
Excellent. Thank you.

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Are there aftermarket side steps, nerf or ???? yet? I opted out of the Ineos version hoping that somebody would have something better. ADD makes a few versions and they have a good reputation. I’ll reach out to them and report back.

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 61

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Are there aftermarket side steps, nerf or ???? yet? I opted out of the Ineos version hoping that somebody would have something better. ADD makes a few versions and they have a good reputation. I’ll reach out to them and report back.
In Europe we have at least 4. Some are exporting to the US.
Probably you will have North American options too.

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
@Jean Mercier thanks for the input. Do you happen to know any of the brands? I’ve read some of your posts so if you have a preference, would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
In Australia , rocksliders/bullbars/scrub bars etc must be certified to be compliant with side/curtain airbag sensors.
And so as not to void insurance .
Is this the case in other countries?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia , rocksliders/bullbars/scrub bars etc must be certified to be compliant with side/curtain airbag sensors.
And so as not to void insurance .
Is this the case in other countries?
The US is the Wild West West when it comes to car mods.

Reactions: CB

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
aaah, that's where IA got the inspiration for the front bumper
Actually, there's some truth in that - in the name of safety back in the day we had wacky bumper laws. It ruined the look of some fantastic cars.

Do not look at THIS while you're eating breakfast this morning - it might make you queasy.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Actually, there's some truth in that - in the name of safety back in the day we had wacky bumper laws.
Instead of killing pedestrians, it gave them life in a wheelchair - and lawyers some extra cash.

Back
Top Bottom