The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side Runners or Rock Sliders?

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
I am assuming the mounting points are there for both front seat passengers. Simply order the passenger handle for the RHD or LHD vehicle. This is what I did with my 80 in the past.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am assuming the mounting points are there for both front seat passengers. Simply order the passenger handle for the RHD or LHD vehicle. This is what I did with my 80 in the past.
I had that very thought, but somewhere it's been said that the grab handle could interfere with the airbags. I'll see if I can find that post.

Edit: After much searching, it turns out the post I was looking for was #38 in this thread!

@DenisM said "There's an airbag in the A-pillar . I'd have thought a grab handle above the door could work but that might cause head injuries in a prang...."

Last edited:

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
There's an airbag in the A-pillar . I'd have thought a grab handle above the door could work but that might cause head injuries in a prang....
Only on Passenger side?🤔

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure on the logistics, but would like to know for certain - it would be great to have a grab handle on the driver side.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't seen the truck in person yet but if this pic from their website is correct I don't see why it would be an issue. If there is an airbag in the passenger side A Pillar for a LHD truck I would assume it there as well for the RHD. It is possible that they simply disable one or don't install it depending on market but I would think that the A Pillar bag on the driver's side (either RHD or LHD) wouldn't be as important as you have the steering wheel airbag. If anything I would think (and this is pure thinking, no technical expertise here) that you would be less likely to have have a handle on the passenger side, either RHD or LHD. 1676303155657.png

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If there were airbags in A pillar it would be seen here. Seriously I ve got no clue where the pax side Airbag is located. - Top of dash .. perhaps.. how many airbags does the IG have at all. - Seriously that was a topic I never looked at. Looking at the specs - there is not a lot of mentioning airbags - how many and where.. Anyway - its a nice feature but I never wanna see the airbags in any vehicle I am using.

BTW Topic . ordered Siderunners with step its more convenient.... and a courtesy to my mother and some other elderly friends who might get a ride with me. ( A fold up to Rockslider / would be nice but also once again something more expensive but also stuff that is likely to fail.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hoping that something like this becomes available. These are $100/pair steps that attach to existing holes in the stock sliders on my FJ Cruiser. Two bolts. Easy on, easy off.

My 94(!) year old mother can climb in and out without any trouble, then when we go to Colorado it's ~5 minutes to take 'em off. Best of both worlds.

Attachments

• PXL_20230213_165642665.PORTRAIT.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165642665.PORTRAIT.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230213_165739149.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165739149.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230213_165918240.PORTRAIT.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165918240.PORTRAIT.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those looks great!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
If there were airbags in A pillar it would be seen here. Seriously I ve got no clue where the pax side Airbag is located. - Top of dash .. perhaps.. how many airbags does the IG have at all. - Seriously that was a topic I never looked at. Looking at the specs - there is not a lot of mentioning airbags - how many and where.. Anyway - its a nice feature but I never wanna see the airbags in any vehicle I am using.

BTW Topic . ordered Siderunners with step its more convenient.... and a courtesy to my mother and some other elderly friends who might get a ride with me. ( A fold up to Rockslider / would be nice but also once again something more expensive but also stuff that is likely to fail.
Two front airbags would be steering wheel and above the glove box
I doubt there are any in the A pillars

1676309237722.png

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe it is a visibility thing - but if it's raining, it won't matter anyway 🤣

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll bet it is a visibility thing. Good thing it will look stock when I add it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two front airbags would be steering wheel and above the glove box
I doubt there are any in the A pillars

View attachment 7803198
Thank you Dave..
most of this stuff is quite "normal" - The front airbags in Steering and above dash.
In A Pillar - unlikely . Curtain Airbags above Front doors. Side Airbags either in door or B-Pillar. In Seats unlikely.
Knee airbags in the US only. Wonder when this requirement will come elsewhere.

cruise control.. in Germany this is nonsense.. maintaining a consistent speed here is next to impossible. on 2 lanes per direction there is always some HGV to pass and on the left there is a queue attempting to pass ..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Thank you Dave..
most of this stuff is quite "normal" - The front airbags in Steering and above dash.
In A Pillar - unlikely . Curtain Airbags above Front doors. Side Airbags either in door or B-Pillar. In Seats unlikely.
Knee airbags in the US only. Wonder when this requirement will come elsewhere.

cruise control.. in Germany this is nonsense.. maintaining a consistent speed here is next to impossible. on 2 lanes per direction there is always some HGV to pass and on the left there is a queue attempting to pass ..
My W204 Mercedes Coupe has 11 airbags including one in each A pillar but it has labels warning of it
1676316734539.png

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My W204 Mercedes Coupe has 11 airbags including one in each A pillar but it has labels warning of it
View attachment 7803208
These warnings are mandatory. Just went down looking at Disco Sport . the same warning in A -Pillar. Definitely not a place to mount a grab handle.
As the Grenadiers A- pillar is far more steep / upright I could think of an Airbag mounted there is "senseless" - It should be in the event of need in an area where persons need to be protected.

Back
Top Bottom