The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side Runners or Rock Sliders?

Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
renli3d said:
According to the video that was referenced above, the side steps are super beefy and bolted to the frame. The narrator states you could jack it up by the side step. Is the sidestep in the video a side step or rock slider? 

If you can jack it - we are talking about a rock slider. Most rock sliders bolt on to the frame, and some are also welded. A small percent of rock sliders are attached to the body, but this requires some creative engineering.

I don't doubt that the side steps offered by Ineos are beefy - for side steps - but you cannot jack a vehicle by a side step. A lot of side steps are also mounted to the frame, but this doesn't mean they are rock sliders. Rock sliders are serious hunks of steel.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Slide runners are a step. 
They are designed to carry a load of ??? probably 150kgs in a downward direction. 
Rock sliders are similar to underbody bash plates
They are designed to carry an impact upwards and potentially forward and rearward. 
Totally different situations and different engineering and design.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
What you see in the video is a step. A beefy one, but a step.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm struggling to choose between the Side Runners and the Rock Sliders.
The Side Runners seem to take away quite some ground clearance. The Rock Sliders seem to sit a bit higher underneath the vehicle.

What are your experiences with both? Which option will you (probably) choose?
I test drove a Grenedier on a 4WD track last week. They had several cars, some with side runners and others with rock sliders. The rock sliders have better clearence although they can't be used as a side step without a minor mod such as a small flat plate welded to the top bar as it is round and so close a fit to the chasis that your can't get a good enough toe grip to board the vehicle. The side runners look to be just sticking out and down from the chassis a little bit more than they need to IMO but make a very easy to use step for passengers.This will be an issue for the wife until I fix it...or perhaps I leave it as is...I have chosen the rock sliders but *may* modify.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
When ordering the car i was completely selfish . ticked the siderunners with out a second thought . :)

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Side Runners seem to take away quite some ground clearance. The Rock Sliders seem to sit a bit higher underneath the vehicle.

Neither, wait for the aftermarket to release rock sliders that can also be used as a step.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting to see in the images above from the Accessories Brochure, the relative weights and load capacities.

Also interesting to note the claim that neither the runners nor the sliders affect ground clearance or breakover angle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting to see in the images above from the Accessories Brochure, the relative weights and load capacities.

Also interesting to note the claim that neither the runners nor the sliders affect ground clearance or breakover angle.
Also note that the rocksliders can't really be used as a step but the side runner/step will give some protection to the sill from hitting something.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also note that the rocksliders can't really be used as a step but the side runner/step will give some protection to the sill from hitting something.
Yes. I opted for the sliders, only because I wanted maximum protection, with the facility to support the weight of the vehicle (at the expense of easy access).

For most people, the runners would be a good compromise.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Side steps for me.

For some of my passengers, Defender 110 entry/egress was difficult/undignified without them...

Also I try to pick routes/lines that avoid damage to the car... but I know some enjoy seeking this stuff out

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
Seems it would be easy enough to drill and tap the rock sliders to allow you to bolt up a removable step rail. This would give you best of both worlds. Unbolt the lower step rail before going off road. This is what I plan on doing and thus will be ordering rock slider option and I will fab up a removable step rail that will bolt up to the slider tube
Something like this

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score

After driving the vehicle in Victoria, Aus, last year, I'm glad I chose the side steps. The rock sliders are cool, but unless you desperately need that extra protection, the steps are a way more practical item for daily use.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
wife is 5'3 and wants to drive it = side steps.

Shame INEOS doesn't offer a drivers side grab handle as an accessory
The grab handle would block the view of the patch of windscreen that doesn't get cleaned by the wiper blades.
Of course the raised air intake is just outside of that and blocks the rest of the view

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score

They do not effect the numbers. But if you use the car there might be an obstacle on the side of the car which would not fit under the deepest point. So they do effect the skills but not the official numbers.

Back
Top Bottom