The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side Runners or Rock Sliders?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
We went with zinc plated hardware. Reason being we found that there was a tendency for the threads on the stainless steel hardware to gaul even with being careful.
Hey Ryan, can you explain? "to gaul", Google Translate didn't help me ... :eek:

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi Xrford. As a user of the Buzz product I can assure you that lack of grip, will not be a problem.
Thanks, but I am really not a fan of the over branding buzz does on all their products. Plus being laser cut into everything makes it impossible to remove. If they really felt the need to put their branding on it then use something less permanent, like stickers.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, but I am really not a fan of the over branding buzz does on all their products. Plus being laser cut into everything makes it impossible to remove. If they really felt the need to put their branding on it then use something less permanent, like stickers.
Hmm ... what about this ... remove it?
17.JPG
Excuse me for being sarcastic, but every brand is promoting its products!

Look at all others, like Black Sheep (nice brand by the way, I hesitated to buy their rock sliders) ...

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Buenos pasos Jean, son los que más me gustan de lo que hay en el mercado, pero aún no tengo la información más reciente para decidirme, ya que no sé si serán lo suficientemente "bajos" para que mi esposa los vaya. arriba/abajo cómodamente. Les he preguntado varias veces pero no me han respondido, confío y estoy seguro que si lo hacen necesitaría saber la altura desde el suelo hasta la zona de "pisada" del escalón, en el Defender 110 la carrera Las tablas estaban a 39 cm del piso y esa altura era ideal para ella, sospecho que será un poco más alta pero 40/42 podría funcionar. un abrazo jean

te escribo tambien en español que se que tu te manejas bien (y):
Bonitos peldaños Jean, son los que mas me gustan de lo que hay en el mercado, pero aún no he conseguido una ultima información para decidirme, ya que no se, si serán suficientemente "bajos" para que mi mujer pueda subir/bajar con comodidad. , les he preguntado varias veces pero no me han respondido, confio y estoy seguro que tu si lo haras, necesitaria saber la altura desde el suelo a la zona de "pisada" del escalón, en el Defender 110 los estribos estaban a 39 cm del suelo y esa altura era ideal para ella, sospecho que esto estará algo más alto pero 40/42 podría servir. Un abrazo Jean

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Had to take a careful look to see what you were referring to. You are quite correct. If you look carefully, the branding is of a permanent nature which is no issue to me. On clothing however, I hate branding being on show so I guess I know what you mean.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 75

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hmm ... what about this ... remove it?
View attachment 7835937

Look at all others, like Black Sheep (nice brand by the way, I hesitated to buy their rock sliders) ...
i Don’t disagree that even car manufacturers are guilty of this, but they are putting it in places that are visible from a far and actually make sense for people to see, but on a step or drawer system inside the car. The only people seeing it is me or my passengers. Come on buzz, I do not need to see that in my face every day. I know who made it, I bought it from them. I will just vote with my dollars as there other vendors products that do this more tastefully or less permanently.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Xrford, In regard to Buzz Overland's rock sliders, I am not sure if you are aware that the step area where their branding is and where you step is actually a completely removable plate. They did this so it would be easy to simply remove the non-slip step plate and have it re-powdered coated if you wear down the powder coating over time. You can also purchase new step plates if you damage one or simply wanted fresh ones. This also gives you the option to have anything else easily fabricated that you might prefer as a step surface, perhaps out of aluminum diamond plate or even simply remove their step plates and glue down some non-slip rubber. One thing I especially like is that Buzz Overland makes their rock sliders out of 316 marine grade stainless steel, which is practically rust proof, especially when compared to type 304 stainless that many others use. After doing much research, on the available options out there, I personally love their design for the Grenadier and the build quality and their responsiveness too. I am ordering a set soon. DaBulll

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Buenos pasos Jean, son los que más me gustan de lo que hay en el mercado, pero aún no tengo la información más reciente para decidirme, ya que no sé si serán lo suficientemente "bajos" para que mi esposa los vaya. arriba/abajo cómodamente. Les he preguntado varias veces pero no me han respondido, confío y estoy seguro que si lo hacen necesitaría saber la altura desde el suelo hasta la zona de "pisada" del escalón, en el Defender 110 la carrera Las tablas estaban a 39 cm del piso y esa altura era ideal para ella, sospecho que será un poco más alta pero 40/42 podría funcionar. un abrazo jean

te escribo tambien en español que se que tu te manejas bien (y):
Bonitos peldaños Jean, son los que mas me gustan de lo que hay en el mercado, pero aún no he conseguido una ultima información para decidirme, ya que no se, si serán suficientemente "bajos" para que mi mujer pueda subir/bajar con comodidad. , les he preguntado varias veces pero no me han respondido, confio y estoy seguro que tu si lo haras, necesitaria saber la altura desde el suelo a la zona de "pisada" del escalón, en el Defender 110 los estribos estaban a 39 cm del suelo y esa altura era ideal para ella, sospecho que esto estará algo más alto pero 40/42 podría servir. Un abrazo Jean
Me fui a medirlo, en la oscuridad de la noche, entonces hay una margen de error ... 45 cm.
No olvides que son y "rock sliders" y "side steps".

Si los quieres solamente para tu mujer poder subir, hay probablamente mejores soluciones, las de Ineos o mismo alternativas de Buzz, pero también de otros.

Pena que Buzz no te respondió!

Tenia un fichero con otras possibilidades, pero no lo encuentro por encuanto ...

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Had to take a careful look to see what you were referring to. You are quite correct. If you look carefully, the branding is of a permanent nature which is no issue to me. On clothing however, I hate branding being on show so I guess I know what you mean.
The bigger issue to me is the fact that the maker branding in both side steps actually detracts from the functionality and utility of the steps by eliminating 22 raised tread grip circles.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Nice steps Jean, they are the ones I like the most of what's on the market, but I still haven't gotten the latest information to decide, since I don't know if they will be "low" enough for my wife to go up/down comfortably. I have asked them several times but they have not answered me, I trust and I am sure that if you do, I would need to know the height from the ground to the "tread" area of the step, in the Defender 110 the running boards were 39 cm from the floor and that height was ideal for her, I suspect that this will be a little higher but 40/42 could work. A hug Jean

The bigger issue to me is the fact that the maker branding in both side steps actually detracts from the functionality and utility of the steps by eliminating 22 raised tread grip circles.
Could it be that such a reduction in grip prevents it acting like Velcro and tipping you out of the vehicle “Arse over tit”, as we would say in the UK. 😊

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The 3 bolts are on the middle bracket and are M12 (12mm)
The other ends are 2 times 4 bolts, M10 (thinner bolts of 10 mm)
The choice for it are Ineos', not the providers of alternative side steps or rock sliders.
The quality of the bolts (zinc plated, stainless steel or plain iron) are of course a choice of each particular provider.

(I always accepted corrections on my sayings with arguments :) )
I've had a few rock slider/side steps configurations on a few vehicles. For me, at least one of the connection points needs to be along the lower outer edge of the body/frame, somehow. That's what I'm asking about. If the only bolts are 12 inches or so in from the steps themselves, it's just going to be a weak, flexing mount under load. Especially if used as jack points.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Agreed 💯 - looks very jeep

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Me fui a medirlo, en la oscuridad de la noche, entonces hay una margen de error ... 45 cm.
No olvides que son y "rock sliders" y "escalones laterales".

Si los quieres solamente para tu mujer poder subir, hay probablamente mejores soluciones, las de Ineos o mismo alternativas de Buzz, pero también de otros.

Pena que Buzz no te respondió!

Tenia un fichero con otras possibilidades, pero no lo encuentro por encuanto ...

Thanks Jean, if it is confirmed that it is 45 cm, it may be too much, it could go up but it would be very fair, I will look at more options, as a result of this thread Buzz (RyanT) has contacted me. A hug Paco

Gracias Jean, si se confirma que son 45 cm, igual son demasiado podría subir pero estaría muy justo, mirare más opciones, a raiz de este hilo Buzz (RyanT) se ha puesto en contacto conmigo. Un Abrazo Paco

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
I got my Buzz Overland rock sliders on Monday (a little bit more than 7 weeks delivery time from the UK to Belgium).
Cost was:
  • 1675 euro including shipping
  • 425 euro Value Added Tax (VAT 21% in Belgium) + some administrative clearance costs =25% more (I hate BREXIT).
  • TOTAL: 2100 euro.
  • Weight of parcel: 49 kg
  • Sent by DHL
View attachment 7835891

As you can see: very well packed!
I had to unpack the sliders to be able to lift them to the back of my house (where my Grenadier is parked). Each slider is about 25 kg. @Tazzieman would probably lift the whole box with one arm :LOL:

View attachment 7835892

The box should contain:
  • two rock sliders
  • two sets of 3 M12 bolts of 3 cm + 3 washers for the middle support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm, 4 nuts + 4 washers for the rear support
  • two sets of 4 M10 bolts of 3 cm for the front side (there are welded bolt on the frame of the Grenadier)
Why different sizes or fixations for the three support, only the Grenadier Engineers know!

But, Buzz Overland forgot one set of M10 bolts, and I warned @RyanT immediately.
View attachment 7835893

I accept that humans make mistakes, but I have to say that the reaction of @RyanT was very fast: he immediately (same day) ordered the missing parts in Belgium, hoping that I would get them the next day (Tuesday), but due to late ordering on Monday and administrative problems the package arrived only today (Thursday). So thanks Ryan for solving the problem as fast as you could! (y)

On Tuesday I mounted the step on the passenger side, using the instructions of Ryan, without problems: 70 minutes, only with mechanical tools and arm force:
View attachment 7835894

And today the driver side took me only 50 minutes:
View attachment 7835895View attachment 7835896

Final result:
View attachment 7835897

The cardboard is part of the packaging of the rock sliders.

Some improvement points for Buzz Overland:
  • make a checklist of points to double check before sending (quantity of bags, e-mail address, delivery address, etc.)
  • insert the mounting instructions in the box (on paper) - although it is quite straightforward.
But I am really happy with the service, explanation and correction of mistakes!

Thanks @RyanT
Hey Jean, did you clean the chassis rails before mounting the sliders? Would be curious to find out from those with experience if you need to have the contact areas as clean as possible before mounting or does it not make a difference as its going to get dirty anyway?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Jean, did you clean the chassis rails before mounting the sliders? Would be curious to find out from those with experience if you need to have the contact areas as clean as possible before mounting or does it not make a difference as its going to get dirty anyway?
I did not clean the chassis, only slightly the holes for the bolts. I don't think it makes a big difference.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score

Some just brand (advertise) their products in a more tasteful manner as Ineos has done to the Grenadier. Some other products are just absurdly overboard in their branding (advertising) of products like the clothing industry. I am not going to be a walking billboard for them. :)

For gods sake - look at the Melvin and Moon spare tire cover - a moving billboard!!! ABSURD!

MM-cap-wheelcover-mike-sutherland-land-rover-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom