The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Seriously, No Dual Zone Climate Control?

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
My wife picks me up in her car today (normal car that doesn't need to be mentioned as it's just a basic vehicle). She has the heat up to 80 degrees F - she's always cold. I immediately turn my climate zone down to 70 F to get some cold air going on my side of the car. Yes, her basic car has dual zone climate as does most modern cars these days (especially in the USA).
Then, I realize, the Grenadier doesn't even have dual zone climate control. What is that about? I know the Grenadier is about keeping things simple, but dual zone climate is such a basic and simple thing in today's vehicles. Plus the Grenadier is NOT a cheap vehicle. It's things like this, and not having a mirror on the sun visor, that just make the Grenadier a big question mark. The Grenadier is about doing long journeys and mostly off road. Well, if you're designing a vehicle for this task, then put decent climate controls in the darn thing so the occupants can be comfortable. With the safari windows, open windows, out on the trails, it's very easy to get something stuck in your eye. That's when you need a mirror in the sun visor. Ask me how I know. Come on Ineos, you give us a Toot horn, 2 batteries, additional wiring, but can't do dual zone climate or a simple mirror?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
Does the rear view mirror or side mirror not work when you need to check out your eye?

I'm not looking to get in argument but not every car or truck or SUV is the same. We need to stop thinking that for 50k the toyota corralla is same as the Vietnamese Vinfast. If you haven't looked up Vinfast it is all show and your going to die. IG put there money on parts not creature comfort. If stopping you from getting Swass, is a top requirement, you can retro fit air cool seating.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
There are many things, like dual zone heating, that are meaningful to lots of people. The grenadier is not designed to satisfy that set of requirements; there are lots of cars that do, all quite similar. If these things are important to you, dont buy a grenadier.

An old defender, toyota 70 series, old patrols etc nver came close to grenadier levels of anything, please dont direct outrage at Ineos for unashamedly building a car for a niche that will not suit most people. It’s not for you, that is absolutely fine, and doesnt say anything negative about anyone. There’s no need to try and build negativity towards the project 😄

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m surprised they put auto climate control in in the first place. A hot-cold knob and fan knob is what you get in the 70 series Landcruiser and G-Wagen Professional. It still does the job.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I remember when Air Conditioning was the simple act of rolling down the windows. Really though, got to have a mirror on the sun visor (you can buy a strap on type at the auto parts store)! Dual zone climate control, really?
All the small items come with a cost that most of us just do not want or need. That is a good bit of why we like the Grenadier.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
The IG is not about “dual climate control”. Maybe it’s not for you. My Mini Cooper has it but I’m not driving that to North Norway and on to Icelandic volcanoes or African bush. It’s a tough off road vehicle, its mindset is different

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The sunvisor mirror thing is such a nothing burger as to be laughable, seriously?

I would prefer dual zone climate control but on the list of things that might make me reconsider a vehicle its a very long way down the list.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife picks me up in her car today (normal car that doesn't need to be mentioned as it's just a basic vehicle). She has the heat up to 80 degrees F - she's always cold. I immediately turn my climate zone down to 70 F to get some cold air going on my side of the car. Yes, her basic car has dual zone climate as does most modern cars these days (especially in the USA).
Then, I realize, the Grenadier doesn't even have dual zone climate control. What is that about? I know the Grenadier is about keeping things simple, but dual zone climate is such a basic and simple thing in today's vehicles. Plus the Grenadier is NOT a cheap vehicle. It's things like this, and not having a mirror on the sun visor, that just make the Grenadier a big question mark. The Grenadier is about doing long journeys and mostly off road. Well, if you're designing a vehicle for this task, then put decent climate controls in the darn thing so the occupants can be comfortable. With the safari windows, open windows, out on the trails, it's very easy to get something stuck in your eye. That's when you need a mirror in the sun visor. Ask me how I know. Come on Ineos, you give us a Toot horn, 2 batteries, additional wiring, but can't do dual zone climate or a simple mirror?

Local time
Reaction score
All you people thinking Ineos leaving A/C to one zone is the correct decision and that Dual Zone A/C is not what this vehicle is about will have no issues when Ineos installs it in the next update. Saying rolling down the windows is a frankly stupid response. You know rolling down the windows in many conditions isn't appropriate. When you already have Auto A/C, adding Dual Zone wouldn't add any real costs and would be just as reliable. No one here would complain if the Grenadier had it, but you don't want to admit it would be useful and is standard on every $75,000+ vehicle on sale today (at least in the US). Regarding the sun visor mirror. I agree it's small potatoes, but using the side view mirror when you are in so much pain from a wasp stinging your eyelid doesn't work. You need to be seated. When I re-invent the Defender, my version will have these things as well as obvious places to put a UHF radio, a proper dash in front of the steering wheel, heated steering wheel, steering with 3 turns lock to lock, a cargo cover, front facing camera, and cost $3M+.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All you people thinking Ineos leaving A/C to one zone is the correct decision and that Dual Zone A/C is not what this vehicle is about will have no issues when Ineos installs it in the next update. Saying rolling down the windows is a frankly stupid response. You know rolling down the windows in many conditions isn't appropriate. When you already have Auto A/C, adding Dual Zone wouldn't add any real costs and would be just as reliable. No one here would complain if the Grenadier had it, but you don't want to admit it would be useful and is standard on every $75,000+ vehicle on sale today (at least in the US). Regarding the sun visor mirror. I agree it's small potatoes, but using the side view mirror when you are in so much pain from a wasp stinging your eyelid doesn't work. You need to be seated. When I re-invent the Defender, my version will have these things as well as obvious places to put a UHF radio, a proper dash in front of the steering wheel, heated steering wheel, steering with 3 turns lock to lock, a cargo cover, front facing camera, and cost $3M+.
Hi marciTect, Yes all of us Grenadier owners will be giving up somethings, however gaining a lot more. Perhaps some of your wishes will get into the next generational build. In the meantime, you might consider the New Defender. I purchased a new one in 2020 and must say it is the best damm vehicle I have every owned by a long shot. The on-road performance is breathtaking with zero to sixty is 5.8 seconds. It also fantastic off road. Mine has the P400 Petrol in line six engine which has 400 HP featuring a super charger and turbo. I can't say enough great things about the New Defender. Yes, I will miss a few things when my Grenadier shows up, however I will also be gaining a new adventure. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either and both will deliver miles of smiles. Good Luck on your journey. DaBull

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding the sun visor mirror. I agree it's small potatoes, but using the side view mirror when you are in so much pain from a wasp stinging your eyelid doesn't work. You need to be seated.
For $10 you can get a clip on one if you really need it. You can also sit and use the rear vision mirror or stick a little hand mirror in the glovebox.

I agree I would like dual zone but not going to get bent out of shape about not having it, my F-type which is significantly more expensive than a Grenadier didn’t come with it as standard and even though mine was a mid range package it was a $6000 additional option pack to get it (along with some other stuff) but I don’t think its as cheap or easy as you suggest, it involves additional pipe work and actuators and sensors etc, and engineering and design time to make it fit. not a lot on it’s own viewed in isolated but all those extra bits add up.

Local time
Reaction score
There are many things, like dual zone heating, that are meaningful to lots of people. The grenadier is not designed to satisfy that set of requirements; there are lots of cars that do, all quite similar. If these things are important to you, dont buy a grenadier.

An old defender, toyota 70 series, old patrols etc nver came close to grenadier levels of anything, please dont direct outrage at Ineos for unashamedly building a car for a niche that will not suit most people. It’s not for you, that is absolutely fine, and doesnt say anything negative about anyone. There’s no need to try and build negativity towards the project 😄
I dont believe anyone was expressing "outrage."

Local time
Reaction score
For $10 you can get a clip on one if you really need it. You can also sit and use the rear vision mirror or stick a little hand mirror in the glovebox.

I agree I would like dual zone but not going to get bent out of shape about not having it, my F-type which is significantly more expensive than a Grenadier didn’t come with it as standard and even though mine was a mid range package it was a $6000 additional option pack to get it (along with some other stuff) but I don’t think its as cheap or easy as you suggest, it involves additional pipe work and actuators and sensors etc, and engineering and design time to make it fit. not a lot on it’s own viewed in isolated but all those extra bits add up.
That doesnt count as its a JLR product.
:)

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is first class trolling. I have to tip my hat. :LOL: I love it. If I get stung on the eyelid by a wasp and, for some reason, remember that the Red Cross mandates one must be properly seated criss-cross apple sauce to look at the bulbous monstrosity that is now my eyelid, I will (1) realize I am far, far away from my Grenadier after running non-stop screaming in who knows what direction - so who cares about its mirrors, (2) pray I still have my phone with me and, if so, (3) engage selfie mode on the camera with my one good eye, take a look, and recommence screaming. As for the dual zone climate control, I'll have a blanket on board to toss to my wife. Old school climate control, baby. That's all I'll need.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So here we have a person outlining apparently deal-breaking omissions whilst over in the other thread Andrew St Pierre-White is moaning that Ineos have put TOO MUCH stuff into the vehicle. This perfectly captures the situation Ineos were in when deciding how to spec the creature comforts side of the vehicle. I personally think they made some pretty decent choices and I'm happy to take it as-is. And a few thousand of us owners & order holders obviously thought the same thing.

Of course no-one will complain if they added dual zone climate control, or even electric adjustable seats (with memory), but I for one would still pay more for bullet-proof axles & diffs than that fluff.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I think the grenadier will evolve down the path toward more comforts and luxury. That’s the way I see them growing their user base. The first 20k vehicles will find willing homes without any of those things and even at its higher than anticipated price.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I think the grenadier will evolve down the path toward more comforts and luxury. That’s the way I see them growing their user base. The first 20k vehicles will find willing homes without any of those things and even at its higher than anticipated price.
Totally agree - especially if there is a US Specific variant. I'm indifferent on dual climate and can easily see both sides of the argument. One point that I do consider, however, is that some things - like normal heat/AC, backup camera, infotainment stuff - should be up to snuff in this sense - if a $25,000 Honda or Chevy or whatever cheapish car can master these things, a $70k+ truck should as well. I know there are teething issues and that the much anticipated software update will hopefully fix most things, but in the end you just never know.

Related note - I'm also surprised that the climate system IA went with is more complex than just the good old "non automatic" systems. The setup in lots of basic little cars work great (cough, cough, purple Honda Fit) and with proper manual knobs and levers you really can't fail.

Back
Top Bottom