The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Seriously, No Dual Zone Climate Control?

Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
The sunvisor mirror thing is such a nothing burger as to be laughable, seriously?

I would prefer dual zone climate control but on the list of things that might make me reconsider a vehicle its a very long way down the list.
I drive about 30k miles a year in my truck 2015 f150- I don't think I have ever used the visor mirror.

My wife's Subaru has duel control, I don't think we have used it, I suppose it could be nice, but I certainly don't think it is necessary. It seems like another thing to go wrong long term.

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
The IG does have dual climate control.
A door window on her side, a door window on my side.
A safari window on her side, a safari window on my side.
Sat beside a friend in an old, old Patrol. He turned on the aircon and opened his window. When I gave him the WTF, he just shrugged his shoulders and said “Dual zone.”

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the grenadier will evolve down the path toward more comforts and luxury. That’s the way I see them growing their user base. The first 20k vehicles will find willing homes without any of those things and even at its higher than anticipated price.
IA has already flagged a more upmarket "lifestyle" version of the Grenadier in 2025 - sidestepping closer to the new Defender.

As well as being 300kg lighter - it will probably include a whole range of more user friendly options

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have never owned a car with dual climate control. So I will not miss it in the INEOS.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I drive about 30k miles a year in my truck 2015 f150- I don't think I have ever used the visor mirror.

My wife's Subaru has duel control, I don't think we have used it, I suppose it could be nice, but I certainly don't think it is necessary. It seems like another thing to go wrong long term.
Our 2012 G-Wagen has sun-visor mirrors but watching my wife trying to do makeup with the choppy solid axle ride quality is amusing.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
My wife picks me up in her car today (normal car that doesn't need to be mentioned as it's just a basic vehicle). She has the heat up to 80 degrees F - she's always cold. I immediately turn my climate zone down to 70 F to get some cold air going on my side of the car. Yes, her basic car has dual zone climate as does most modern cars these days (especially in the USA).
Then, I realize, the Grenadier doesn't even have dual zone climate control. What is that about? I know the Grenadier is about keeping things simple, but dual zone climate is such a basic and simple thing in today's vehicles. Plus the Grenadier is NOT a cheap vehicle. It's things like this, and not having a mirror on the sun visor, that just make the Grenadier a big question mark. The Grenadier is about doing long journeys and mostly off road. Well, if you're designing a vehicle for this task, then put decent climate controls in the darn thing so the occupants can be comfortable. With the safari windows, open windows, out on the trails, it's very easy to get something stuck in your eye. That's when you need a mirror in the sun visor. Ask me how I know. Come on Ineos, you give us a Toot horn, 2 batteries, additional wiring, but can't do dual zone climate or a simple mirror?
No worries. It doesn’t seem as if you were planning on leaving your climate zone anyway, so you should be fine.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
Never used the 'zone' control in any of our car's wifes or mine (that would be 5 cars in 10 years). Just saying. Glad the GREN is basic in the regard - unlike the other controls!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have never owned a car with dual climate control.
DCC (somebody must have used that acronym) sounds very fancy!
The only one of my 8 cars that has A/C working is the '95 Disco. But it doesn't have a heater...
Maybe I should trade it for a Queensland one. But wait - I bought it from a guy who drove it down from Qld to Tasmania...

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
now that's one helluva confident young man with the state of his underwear. 'Accident on Main St.' it wasn't.

Dual a/c zones, never understood them though I certainly don't disparage anyone who likes them.
My OCD goes a bit haywire if they are not set to the same temp. The Audi had a neat trick where you can press and hold one of the temps and it equalises them.

How does dual or even quattro zones work in such a small space? Isn't climate control all about getting to one temp and keeping it there? Someone sets one zone to 16 and another at 19, how does it cope with that, or does it just blow chilly air at the seat who wants 16 and less chilly to the one at 19 and then they just struggle against each other continuously?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
How does dual or even quattro zones work in such a small space? Isn't climate control all about getting to one temp and keeping it there? Someone sets one zone to 16 and another at 19, how does it cope with that, or does it just blow chilly air at the seat who wants 16 and less chilly to the one at 19 and then they just struggle against each other continuously?
I guess it's a bit like seat heaters...the personalisation attempt with heating/cooling just seems daft!
Too much luxury softens the brain.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
BTW, I do admit I really miss dual climate zone in my bedroom. We jerry-rig that with the thin blanket/thick blanket workaround.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
BTW, I do admit I really miss dual climate zone in my bedroom. We jerry-rig that with the thin blanket/thick blanket workaround.
Socks on/socks off!

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There are many things, like dual zone heating, that are meaningful to lots of people. The grenadier is not designed to satisfy that set of requirements; there are lots of cars that do, all quite similar. If these things are important to you, dont buy a grenadier.
(y)
An old defender, toyota 70 series, old patrols etc nver came close to grenadier levels of anything, please dont direct outrage at Ineos for unashamedly building a car for a niche that will not suit most people. It’s not for you, that is absolutely fine, and doesnt say anything negative about anyone. There’s no need to try and build negativity towards the project 😄
Right.

Just for correctness: The old Defender up to Td5 has "Dual+" -zone ventilation: The individual flaps below the wind screen are that one feature that will _never_ be topped!

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m surprised they put auto climate control in in the first place. A hot-cold knob and fan knob is what you get in the 70 series Landcruiser and G-Wagen Professional. It still does the job.
In my jet the dust and hairs can clog the sensors and screw everything. It’s why many stay manual and I’m a fan of it. Air temp never works because we’re surrounded by glass. Radiant heat from the sun kills the purpose of a sensor.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For $10 you can get a clip on one if you really need it. You can also sit and use the rear vision mirror or stick a little hand mirror in the glovebox.
It would start off as a $10 item but when searching you'd see a polished stainless steel version, then a version that could be used as a heliograph...before you know it, you need a $175 one.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
When you already have Auto A/C, adding Dual Zone wouldn't add any real costs
So why didn't they put that in?

For cost reasons, I assume.

Back