The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering dead zone

Team321

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
the "return to center" is not my issue... the drift is not my issue.
During my test drive months ago, the steering felt heavy and required attention... but it was solid - with no play.
but driving my new car for a couple of days, I feel a few degrees of play clockwise and counterclockwise... which reminds me of worn bushings, loose connection, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? corrective action?

i am hypersensitive to this 'feature', as i have designed / manufactured suspensions for about 20 years... admittedly, i design IFS and IRS suspensions... not solid axle.
the dealer said the damper needs to be 'broken in'... causing it to pull to the left- but that will resolve... i did not notice any pull... and realized if that statement was the start of the conversation - there really was no point in describing the concern in a greater depth.

he offered to put the car on a lift for me to look at it... this was an agreement going back months - just part of my overvigilant inspection... but just prior to putting the car on a lift, i was told that i cannot be under the car... I had to laugh... why put a car on a lift to inspect it from the side... so i let it go.

anyway, please let me know if you've experienced the same - and i did a quick scan / search / of past posts, but if i missed one that covered this dead zone steering play, please point me to it.
thank you
dave

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
the "return to center" is not my issue... the drift is not my issue.
During my test drive months ago, the steering felt heavy and required attention... but it was solid - with no play.
but driving my new car for a couple of days, I feel a few degrees of play clockwise and counterclockwise... which reminds me of worn bushings, loose connection, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? corrective action?

i am hypersensitive to this 'feature', as i have designed / manufactured suspensions for about 20 years... admittedly, i design IFS and IRS suspensions... not solid axle.
the dealer said the damper needs to be 'broken in'... causing it to pull to the left- but that will resolve... i did not notice any pull... and realized if that statement was the start of the conversation - there really was no point in describing the concern in a greater depth.

he offered to put the car on a lift for me to look at it... this was an agreement going back months - just part of my overvigilant inspection... but just prior to putting the car on a lift, i was told that i cannot be under the car... I had to laugh... why put a car on a lift to inspect it from the side... so i let it go.

anyway, please let me know if you've experienced the same - and i did a quick scan / search / of past posts, but if i missed one that covered this dead zone steering play, please point me to it.
thank you
dave
Hi Team321, I think many on the forum have reported some play at top dead center when driving. My Grenadier has a bit of it. It appears that this is typical of recirculating ball type steering. You can always get your alignment checked. Here's a document to the alignment specs as posted on the Forum. Additionally, there is a company in Washington State that makes a steering stabilizer that is patented and offers a return to center feature and exact center driving experience. The first person with a Grenadier to take it to them will get a free one. They need a Grenadier to fine tune one and make sure it can be correctly fitted.
Any Grenadier Owners from Washington State listening?? DaBull

Attachments

• SPECS FOR CAMBR ETC..pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is it really a dead zone, or are you moving the wheel back and forth quickly before the vehicle moves in that direction? I think there was a YouTube video about this.

Move it a few degrees left or right into your “dead zone” and hold it there for 10 seconds as you drive. are you steering the vehicle in that direction? If so, it’s not a dead zone.

This is what I’ve noticed on my Grenadier

Team321

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
when parked, at 20 mph at 40 mph at 60 mph... same thing. i can jiggle the wheel with no effect. When driving at any speed i can steer and the car is responsive... but i have to 'saw' to make it go straight... at any speed. I will take it to a proper shop, get under it and inspect what's going on.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I find there is a dead zone for sure but don’t find it out of my expectations. I am curious if anyone has their caster adjusted as per some threads and notices an improvement.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
I find there is a dead zone for sure but don’t find it out of my expectations. I am curious if anyone has their caster adjusted as per some threads and notices an improvement.
Steering was awful at delivery. After reducing tire pressure to 36 PSI and getting a wheel alignment including bringing the caster and camber within specs (which were not set correctly at factory) the steering is still improving after 1,200km. Still not 100% happy with it or the dead zone so will go for another alignment check at 5,000km if still not happy. Part of the issue is my sensitivity to it as coming from a Range Rover Sport with very tight responsive speed dependent steering. After driving the IG for a couple of weeks and hopping back in the RRS I don't like its' steering either....

Back
Top Bottom