The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power Steering Recall

don't ignore warning ligh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
After seeing that over 60 Ineos Grenadier vehicles have been recalled in the US I wanted to try to find out how many of us this has affected.
Our Grenadier had an almost catastrophic failure at the beginning of September. We flagged this as a potential safety hazard and were categorically told that it was a one off . Clearly this isn't the case...
This is a serious safety issue, especially for those who are towing or off road etc .
How long before someone has a serious accident or fatality ?
I know lots of Ineos fans don't want to hear this . You love your car ( so did we !) but please DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNING LIGHTS FOR POWER STEERING ( in spite of what Ineos tell you)
Stay safe guys

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if I am interpreting your post correctly or not but most new vehicles (established manufacturers and new manufacturers) have recalls. It comes down to how the manufacturer addresses the issue. For all of the complaints about Ineos’ lack of communication I feel that they have caught major issues and addressed them responsibly.

The 2020 Defender has 4 recalls (https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/LAND%2520ROVER/DEFENDER#recalls)
The 2013 Ford Escape had 17 recalls while the 2014 had 15 and the 2015 had 7

Just a couple of examples of recalls and you can see how serious they were.

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
After seeing that over 60 Ineos Grenadier vehicles have been recalled in the US I wanted to try to find out how many of us this has affected.
Our Grenadier had an almost catastrophic failure at the beginning of September. We flagged this as a potential safety hazard and were categorically told that it was a one off . Clearly this isn't the case...
This is a serious safety issue, especially for those who are towing or off road etc .
I know lots of Ineos fans don't want to hear this . You love your car ( so did we !) but please DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNING LIGHTS FOR POWER STEERING ( in spite of what Ineos tell you)
Stay safe guys
Can you give any detail? What happened? Who told you not to worry? What failed? Where?

Tarheel

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stay safe guys
What was the VIN# of your vehicle?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
The Ineos USA recall was related to an electrical fire risk in the overhead console.
Over 5000 MY24 Mazdas just recalled over PS failure
As far as I can recall , only 1 member here had a PS issue, in England.
If a PS issue develops (heavy steering) disconnect the steering damper and drive cautiously to the service agent.
Or call the tow truck, if you have one nearby.

Local time
Reaction score

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
The 2nd US recall was simply that non-locking nuts were used on a small number of vehicles. Not power steering pump or steering box related, just some nuts that need swapping out.

Local time
Reaction score
Which... has nothing to do with the power steering warning lights on the dash that the OP was panicking about....
It sounds like the OP had a really bad experience with the steering in his Grenadier. It sounds like it was preceded by a power steering warning light. If he has subsequently heard about a recall involving steering, perhaps he has conflated the two issues, or maybe they are related - I don't know. Either way, I'm gonna (1) take him at his word with regard to the issue he had with his steering failure, and (2) cut him a little slack if his radar is pinging on a related issue.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure about this post, but the recent youtube video by John Canny has spoken about a power steering problem, that he was told not to worry about, and definitely should have. Waiting for part 2 of the video to find out what it was though.

The problem with ignoring all the warnings is the boy who called wolf. A genuine warning may be ignored. I mean is the a PS warning like on the instrument cluster? I have had many warnings on the display, include PS, but I was dont if its not on the cluster, dont worry.

FYI, I'm still not.

AWo

Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Not sure if I am interpreting your post correctly or not but most new vehicles (established manufacturers and new manufacturers) have recalls. It comes down to how the manufacturer addresses the issue. For all of the complaints about Ineos’ lack of communication I feel that they have caught major issues and addressed them responsibly.

The 2020 Defender has 4 recalls (https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/LAND%2520ROVER/DEFENDER#recalls)
The 2013 Ford Escape had 17 recalls while the 2014 had 15 and the 2015 had 7

Just a couple of examples of recalls and you can see how serious they were.
That doesn't make this normal, acceptible or fine.

AWo

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

AWo
Please can you provide the recalls for a Grenadier as having had mine since last year I have not had any issues and, due to comments like yours wondering what I have missed

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Me? Why? I'm not into that business of recalls. I assume you asked the wrong person by asking me.

AWo

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stay safe guys
The 60 US Grenadiers were recalled due to an apparent problem with a ball joint fitting. I don't see how that would activate a warning light. I'm sorry to hear about your 'near catastrophic' failure.. was it steering pump related or something which a sensor might detect? By way of comparison Mercedes Benz topped the list according to a recent mainstream press report in that they (MB) had 55 recalls in Australia last year...

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Me? Why? I'm not into that business of recalls. I assume you asked the wrong person by asking me.

AWo
You assume wrong, you passed comment on recalls and I asked you to substanitate the recalls that you claimed

Local time
Reaction score

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AWo
Not sure what your point is.

My post was just showing that recalls are normal things that happen and the most important is how the manufacturer responds…

The 2 INEOS recalls are voluntary which means the government did not force the issue. INEOS was responsible and issued the recalls. I’m guessing this allowed them the ability to formulate their own procedures for a fix rather than have government intervention which as I am sure with most government interventions ends up increasing the costs for the fixes.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
You assume wrong, you passed comment on recalls and I asked you to substanitate the recalls that you claimed
No, I didn't. Check twice.

@don't ignore warning light told there is a recall and @stickshifter showed where to find them.

I commented on @AngusMacG 's post in post #13 which was my first and only comment in this thread about that topic and I claimed nothing there.

Show me the post where I wrote that there are recalls.

AWo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom