The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

removal of side panels driver side and using the auxiliary power point

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why Ineos gives me a lot of useless switches on my roof panel without any explanation. Therefore, and thanks to this forum my next DIY post (DIY: Do It Yourself), and I didn’t find on this forum somebody who already did it, but perhaps I am wrong …

I dismounted the Left-Hand Drive (LHD) footwell side panels (Driver side) with the intention to use the auxiliary power point (not yet documented by Ineos, but well bespoken on this forum, thanks to the discovery of a hero … I don’t remember whom).

Like always, for the RHD (abbreviation well known on this forum), please do it the other way (wrong way 😉 )

[EDITED] As mentioned by @DCPU this step isn't necessary to reach the auxiliary power point. I leave it for information First thing, pull of this side wall, as straight as possible: the direction is toward the back of the car, beginning with the lower part (that’s what I did).
20230619_122503 pull.jpg

First thing, remove the “step”, or how is it called, by pulling it vertically (I have done it already 100 times since I got my car without apparent damage, well less than 100 times, but …)
20230619_122644 step 2.jpg

Second, remove the bonnet opening lever. The screw needs a Torx bit TX25 to unscrew.
20230619_122856.jpg20230619_123147.jpg

Then there is a second similar screw to unscrew.
20230619_123309.jpg

Then there is a larger screw to unscrew from that same plastic piece on the “step” (TX30).
20230619_123507.jpg

And you should be able to “unclip” that sidewall pilar (LHD) pulling it as much as possible towards the center of the car.

20230619_123704.jpg20230619_123727.jpg

And you have access to these electrical wires, and what I am looking for:

20230619_123824 INT1.jpg

The “ground” wire is black, the positive wire is “purple+green”. I did connect my Deutsch male pins to it (has been documented elsewhere on this forum). This should be the INT1 wire, switched on by the corresponding roof panel button. (should be because I have a wiring mistake on my car).

20230620_164447.jpg
(See the following instructions on next post)

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Then I did make a hole in the side panel, fixed a clipping piece on it (cost: some cents, depending on the website where you buy it).
To have a final result like this.

20230620_192157.jpg

Now mount all the panels back, in the reverse order of the previous pictures.

Then place the female connector (with male pins) in the socket (clipping system).
20230620_192157 putting the connector.jpg

20230620_192213.jpg
(this is a demo picture on my table how it should be after mounting in the car-

The female connector (with the male pins) can be removed by pulling it out, after placing a screwdriver like in the next picture . Screwdriver belonged to my father, and I can’t throw it away, but I don’t use it anymore for screwing or unscrewing, the tip is worn).
20230620_192400.jpg

The final result, including a dummy plug (that I stole for the time being from my roof connectors):
20230621_134836.jpg20230621_134723.jpg

It is not impossible, but you really have to do for it, to touch the connector with a shoe (and most shoes have, like this one a rounded tip).

All comments and questions are welcome, even disapproval, I know I am NOT a professional car technician.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
All that to get to what should be an easily accessible power point controlled by INT1? Jeeze.

Did that wire already have the plug attached or was it just a wire?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All that to get to what should be an easily accessible power point controlled by INT1? Jeeze.

Did that wire already have the plug attached or was it just a wire?
You were too fast to react ;) , my second post is THE answer, therefore the answer is NO, it was a wire, only a wire!

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Then I did make a hole in the side panel, fixed a clipping piece on it (cost: some cents, depending on the website where you buy it).

View attachment 7817357

Then place the female connector (with male pins) in the socket (clipping system).
View attachment 7817359

View attachment 7817358

The female connector (with the male pins) can be removed by pulling it out, after placing a screwdriver like in the next picture . Screwdriver belonged to my father, and I can’t throw it away, but I don’t use it anymore for screwing or unscrewing, the tip is worn).
View attachment 7817360

I don’t have a picture of the final result in my car yet, because I didn’t mount the panels yet: I want first to search for the origin of a small water infiltration I have.

All comments and questions are welcome, even disapproval, I know I am NOT a professional car technician.
Great work! I plan to do that as well as replace that hood release with a billet aluminum handle and reinforced release plate. A $95K vehicle should not have crap like that.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Great work! I plan to do that as well as replace that hood release with a billet aluminum handle and reinforced release plate. A $95K vehicle should not have crap like that.
My F type Jaguar which was double that price new had a bonnet release handle about the same 🙄

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7817357

View attachment 7817359

View attachment 7817358

View attachment 7817360

I don’t have a picture of the final result in my car yet, because I didn’t mount the panels yet: I want first to search for the origin of a small water infiltration I have.

Nice work Jean. Possibly a USB or cigarette socket style plug might have more flexible and immediate use than the deutsche. But I like the concept and appreciate the photos and instructions

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice work Jean. Possibly a USB or cigarette socket style plug might have more flexible and immediate use than the deutsche. But I like the concept and appreciate the photos and instructions
At the other side, I did already put a USB socket:

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7817357

View attachment 7817359

View attachment 7817358

View attachment 7817360

Beautifully done @Jean Mercier! Thank you for documenting!

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At the other side, I did already put a USB socket:
That’s right, I knew that. 👍

Reactions: PBD

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
Rumor I heard is the glovebox is really small. I was thinking of using one of those wires to power a panel of USB plugs and place you can put your phone for passenger. I think the otherside could be used to run up to the dash or inside A pillar to run electronics.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rumor I heard is the glovebox is really small. I was thinking of using one of those wires to power a panel of USB plugs and place you can put your phone for passenger. I think the otherside could be used to run up to the dash or inside A pillar to run electronics.
Not a rumour, the glovebox is really small

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
Get that model made and produced in quantity. I would love to buy a nicely machined aluminum hood release latch! At least once a week I wish I knew how to operate a CNC mill.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Superb @Jean Mercier 👏👏👏

With reference to your 1st photo - removal of the side wall, I don't recall this was necessary on the other side. Is it different on this side?

Also do you have any photos of what's behind the side wall - a photo taken at right angles?

Reactions: PBD

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Superb @Jean Mercier 👏👏👏

With reference to your 1st photo - removal of the side wall, I don't recall this was necessary on the other side. Is it different on this side?

Also do you have any photos of what's behind the side wall - a photo taken at right angles?
You are right concerning the first photo, I edited my post.

My assignment was canceled this morning, bicycle and train trip up and down to Brussels, and my wife isn't home, therefore I could take some more pictures :devilish:

Did you mean this? (see below).
20230621_113215.jpg

or this (left side, driver, and right side passenger)
20230621_143034.jpg20230621_143057.jpg

Now, I'll go to the shop to buy and replace a "critical" lamp for my partner, not related to the Grenadier :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Brilliant.

I meant the 2nd photo ~ and the 3rd is a bonus. 👌

I was wondering if there's any opportunity to extend the footwell auxiliary power point cables to this panel ~ both in terms of internal space for a socket and external space for a plug?

Or run it further and out the top of the dash (being mindful of the airbags).

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the hood release really flimsy enough to warrant this?

Back
Top Bottom