The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Removable draw system

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score

Thank you Pat. These look very high quality, large latches for use with gloved hands, lots of accessory options. Impressive! https://www.gearmate.co.uk/suvs

However, I can't find any info on the construction. Anyone know if they're aluminum or steel? Accuride slides? Do they already have a Grenadier system available?

Local time
Reaction score
I have a 76 Land Cruiser that’s very similar in dimensions to the Grenadier.
My advice is get a proper built in drawer system that is the same height more or less as the rear seats when folded. This gives jon a nice flat load space. But, It does raise the load height considerably.
I bought the ARB fridge that has the hinges on the small side, therefore it opens the right way to access easily from the back door. Also has gas struts to hold it open.
I tried a fridge slider, I hated it so took it out immediately. Sliders take up a lot of space.
My last secret trick was to install an old Defender step at the rear door. so the wife stands on that to access the fridge and when not in use it folds up neatly.

Local time
Reaction score
Found another photo of the drawer system online. Unsure if the dog comes with them

Thanks for the pic of the Gearmate UK setup. I missed this was theirs.
Any idea if the height of the drawer matches the height of the rear seatbacks folded down?
And any access to the areas to the left and right of the main drawer; maybe the top/flat surface has a removable cover and this allows you to stuff items down there around the rear wheelwells?

Try post #45 in this very thread.

Thank you. I didn't see the Gearmate name at first.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
They need to make a slimline one that just levels the floor to the folded down seats. Would be perfect for tools and stuff. If they made A foam insert where everything could have its place it would be ideal.

1679802828358.png

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
What’s your point Dave?
Are you saying there’s a power point in the seat back where your second red circle is? Awesome if so, but not marked.

The one on the side isn’t at the back of the cargo area, so useless for my application.
That is a 12V outlet
Perfectly positioned for me to plug my fridge into

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Frontrunner just advised me that they are in the process of designing a roof rack for the Grenadier but NOT a draw system at this stage as they are waiting to see sales volumes.
And have refused a forum discount for members. Sighting the need to see vehicle sales volume before swinging back to us. I’ll try again in 6 months.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
On a slightly different tangent, instead of drawers I'd be interested in a low profile water/fuel tank that could be lashed down to the L tracks. A refinement of this would be having 2 half height tanks (1 fuel, 1 water) which could be stacked gave a flat floor when the rear seat was folded.

Cheers
Steve

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW: "Boab" ( www.boaboffroad.com.au) manufacture a range of tapered slimline water "(50L) and diesel(40L) tanks which fill the otherwise "lost" space behind a sloping seat back or sloping cargo barrier. The diesel tank is vented and can be connected to the vehicle fuel tank vent system ...

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On a slightly different tangent, instead of drawers I'd be interested in a low profile water/fuel tank that could be lashed down to the L tracks. A refinement of this would be having 2 half height tanks (1 fuel, 1 water) which could be stacked gave a flat floor when the rear seat was folded.

Cheers
Steve
Rotopax not meet your needs? I'll agree, I'm liking that one in the Black Sheep photo mounted to the molle mount over the rear side window. Waiting to find out more about the load capacity and added width, if it is road worthy with the thing mounted.

Not sure if there's a way to mount it horizontally in the cargo area, but who knows?

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same question, when the idea of an overloading Grenadier came up.
Main principle for the build was to be able to remove the setup within max 5 mins.
So we finally decided to build a double drawer system for an ARB Zero 44L and a Layzee kitchen box from Aluminium profiles according to the ITEM standard.
Item offers a great 3D engineering tool on their website for free! Item.engineering
Top will be covered with Aluminium checker plate. Sides will be filled with a lighter “plastic” material, as they don‘t have any structural relevance.
box „boxes“ can be locked together front an back. Then the structure will be connected to the 2 latches at each side of the trunk using turnbuckles.
I‘ve bought 130kg slides to be build into the structure, which then will be covered with a screen printing plate on each side.
Dimensions are: 106cm wide, 51cm high and 91cm deep. The 91cm require the passenger backrest to be fixed in a more upright position, which is of ok for us, since we‘re going to remove the seat pads anyway to create space for 2 race bicycles there.
Fron Runner Slimline on the roof with a iKamper Skycamp 3.0 connected and you have a cyclists dream Overlander.
please ask if you need more details.

1679898704447.png

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same question, when the idea of an overloading Grenadier came up.
Main principle for the build was to be able to remove the setup within max 5 mins.
So we finally decided to build a double drawer system for an ARB Zero 44L and a Layzee kitchen box from Aluminium profiles according to the ITEM standard.
Item offers a great 3D engineering tool on their website for free! Item.engineering
Top will be covered with Aluminium checker plate. Sides will be filled with a lighter “plastic” material, as they don‘t have any structural relevance.
box „boxes“ can be locked together front an back. Then the structure will be connected to the 2 latches at each side of the trunk using turnbuckles.
I‘ve bought 130kg slides to be build into the structure, which then will be covered with a screen printing plate on each side.
Dimensions are: 106cm wide, 51cm high and 91cm deep. The 91cm require the passenger backrest to be fixed in a more upright position, which is of ok for us, since we‘re going to remove the seat pads anyway to create space for 2 race bicycles there.
Fron Runner Slimline on the roof with a iKamper Skycamp 3.0 connected and you have a cyclists dream Overlander.
please ask if you need more details.

View attachment 7807007
My only word of caution "BEWARE" the rough edges of the "checker" plate surface, which will very quickly wear through whatever is stored on top as a result of constant rubbing due to vibrations and general movement (unless you cover the checker plate for example, marine carpet or some other smooth material). A lesson learned the hard way years ago.... :oops::cry: ( it concerned a "slab" (2 dozen cans) of beer and a case of red wine....

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My only word of caution "BEWARE" the rough edges of the "checker" plate surface, which will very quickly wear through whatever is stored on top as a result of constant rubbing due to vibrations and general movement (unless you cover the checker plate for example, marine carpet or some other smooth material). A lesson learned the hard way years ago.... :oops::cry: ( it concerned a "slab" (2 dozen cans) of beer and a case of red wine....
Great feedback! Many thanks…I might move to a wooden top covered with carpet

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW: "Boab" ( www.boaboffroad.com.au) manufacture a range of tapered slimline water "(50L) and diesel(40L) tanks which fill the otherwise "lost" space behind a sloping seat back or sloping cargo barrier. The diesel tank is vented and can be connected to the vehicle fuel tank vent system ...
Thanks @DenisM. I do like Boab’s tanks, especially the low profile wedge one and I may ultimately go that route. Things I need to consider (but don’t have answers to ATM) before I head down that road are how to secure the tank so it doesn’t become a deadly projectile in a crash and whether I can easily refill without having to unpack everything given I have specified a cargo barrier In my build.

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rotopax not meet your needs? I'll agree, I'm liking that one in the Black Sheep photo mounted to the molle mount over the rear side window. Waiting to find out more about the load capacity and added width, if it is road worthy with the thing mounted.

Not sure if there's a way to mount it horizontally in the cargo area, but who knows?
Thanks @IG_in_AZ. Rotopax are a neat idea, but they are very expensive here in Australia compared to a 20l jerry can, of which I have many 😊. The Black sheep mount too is interesting and I‘ll be curious as to what weight it can hold. As to whether side mounted external fuel storage is legal here I can’t say.

Ideally I’m looking for a internal tank setup I can draw from and fill up without unpacking the vehicle and which can be easily removed between trips.

Cheers
Steve

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @IG_in_AZ. Rotopax are a neat idea, but they are very expensive here in Australia compared to a 20l jerry can, of which I have many 😊. The Black sheep mount too is interesting and I‘ll be curious as to what weight it can hold. As to whether side mounted external fuel storage is legal here I can’t say.

Ideally I’m looking for a internal tank setup I can draw from and fill up without unpacking the vehicle and which can be easily removed between trips.

Cheers
Steve
For internal storage I have considered a suitably sized Rhino HDPE cargo case with a marine fuel bladder inside. A screw-on fuel cap and outlet can be fixed through the case for ease of access without opening the case. A vent is not (necessarily) required because of the nature of the bladder... sufficient expansion capacity inside the case could be accommodated depending on the relative capacities of the case and the bladder. A possible location for the case would be between the wheel arches over the rear axle for weight distribution, and strapped to the internal utility rails.

Refuelling: Am wondering about cutting a hinged panel into the RH wheel-arch housing behind which is the fuel tank inlet. A spring-loaded self sealing "Nitto" type air fitting could be screwed into the fuel tank inlet . A similar fitting could be attached to the bladder outlet. A suitable hose with the appropriate fittings and low pressure 12V fuel pump goes in between....

@Stu_Barnes Perhaps the last few posts might be transferred to the thread "my plans for extra fuel capacity" ?

Last edited:

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM again many thanks for your advice! Double checked with my Aluminum supplier and he confirmed, that the checker plate Alu would „eat“ and luggage, that is rubbing against it.
I will move to HPL now instead….

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For internal storage I have considered a suitably sized Rhino HDPE cargo case with a marine fuel bladder inside. A screw-on fuel cap and outlet can be fixed through the case for ease of access without opening the case. A vent is not (necessarily) required because of the nature of the bladder... sufficient expansion capacity inside the case could be accommodated depending on the relative capacities of the case and the bladder. A possible location for the case would be between the wheel arches over the rear axle for weight distribution, and strapped to the internal utility rails.

Refuelling: Am wondering about cutting a hinged panel into the RH wheel-arch housing behind which is the fuel tank inlet. A spring-loaded self sealing "Nitto" type air fitting could be screwed into the fuel tank inlet . A similar fitting could be attached to the bladder outlet. A suitable hose with the appropriate fittings and low pressure 12V fuel pump goes in between....

@Stu_Barnes Perhaps the last few posts might be transferred to the thread "my plans for extra fuel capacity" ?
Thanks again Denis. Even though I have a 40l footwell bladder for the discovery I'd totally forgotten about them for fuel storage. I just wonder how they would go being filled up from a bowser.

PS good idea making this a separate thread

Back
Top Bottom