The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Removable draw system

Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I’ll have a look but I’m not that much into plastic. Neither the craftsman who is going to make it…

I kinda know where you are coming from, but it makes a lot more sense in this application (IMO of course).
And I think you would save approx 20kgs

Boatbuilders use it and outside furniture makers ...
Heres a UK stockist - searched using it' 'real' name (HDPE sheet).

Last edited:

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I kinda know where you are coming from, but it makes a lot more sense in this application (IMO of course).

I think you might be right. Just don’t know how my craftsman will feel about it. I’ve just asked.
I‘ve found this in France (in French it’s PEHD, that’s why nothing was coming out in the first google’s results) :
Feuilles de PEHD en France

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
What are you guys using to draw up your drawer system? I haven't used cad since high school. I am not an architect so any free or easy to use systems would be great.
2D: Librecad (conceptually a bit like AutoCAD). Free.
3D: FreeCad. Steep learning curve, but unbeatable capabilities. Free.

Many makers use SketchUp. Yearly fee. Excellent software but cloud storage - you don't "own" you work and can AFAIK never download it. A NoGo.

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Hi Miki.
I’ve ordered some HDPE samples on a French website. The tests we’ve done with the craftsman who will construct the system are not conclusive : cuts in the material come out clean but the cut sides can’t be easily polished and the edges can’t be rounded without becoming grainy. Furthermore the surfaces are fragile. They catch every little nail scratch you make. And screws tend to warp the material.
So we’ve decided to go with 15mm okume plywood.

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Here’s a short video filmed by the craftsman who did the job.
Still a few accessories to be added and I’ve started yesterday to work on the electric installation (100Ah LiFePo battery, DC/DC charger, USB sockets and commands).
Drawer System video

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
After trying many sorts of boxes and drawer systems, this home-made solution is the best so far, at least for me:
1. ~ 75$ from nearest depot, including cut to dimensions - pine frame + plywood top (6 pieces - the 3rd row is removable).
2. ~10kg weight, can pick it up one handed
3. Doubles as sleeping platform
4. I can fit a lot of stuff in it, and I don't feel any need for drawers, by storing in the rear compartments the least used items like snow chains, bottle jack, extra shackles, tools, winter emergency gear.
5. I adjusted everything to fit from my LC150 to IG in 2 hours using a small table saw.

IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6906.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
After trying many sorts of boxes and drawer systems, this home-made solution is the best so far, at least for me:
1. ~ 75$ from nearest depot, including cut to dimensions - pine frame + plywood top (6 pieces - the 3rd row is removable).
2. ~10kg weight, can pick it up one handed
3. Doubles as sleeping platform
4. I can fit a lot of stuff in it, and I don't feel any need for drawers, by storing in the rear compartments the least used items like snow chains, bottle jack, extra shackles, tools, winter emergency gear.
5. I adjusted everything to fit from my LC150 to IG in 2 hours using a small table saw.

View attachment 7853041

View attachment 7853042

You said it doubles as a sleeping platform, does that mean it is the same height as the back seats when folded down ?

I ask as it looks quite high, and higher than I would have imagined if they platform and the seats do line up.

Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. 😃

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
You said it doubles as a sleeping platform, does that mean it is the same height as the back seats when folded down ?

I ask as it looks quite high, and higher than I would have imagined if they platform and the seats do line up.

Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. 😃
It lines up perfectly with the seats, without any gap, but you'll have to remove the seat pads, otherwise the seats won't fold flat and you won't have enough space for a mattress anyway, length wise. The height of the platform is ~ 20cm.

Back
Top Bottom