The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Red Winch...Does yours freespool easily?

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
My factory Red winch does not freespool easily. You cannot physically pull the rope out without incredible effort , The first time I used it it had to attach it to another vehicle and reverse the vehicle. Now I just reverse the motor to extend the rope. What's your experience? Is this normal for Red winch? Definitely not like my Warn.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I know thos is a stupid question but did you switch the switch in the front to free spool?

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
No problems with mine🤷‍♂️

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@Lars sounds like you might need to start pushing some weight.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
@Lars I have no issues with mine. Freespools as you would expect it to.
Same. Although the spectra line needed respooling with some weight on it to get it to hold my hook tight. I initially thought the Plasma lock was slipping.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
We had some issues freespooling @TWExplor 's winchline this past weekend. We spooled out the winch under power (in bursts), attached the link to an anchor, and with the clutch lever in free spool, allowed the winch line to hold the weight of the vehicle (on a very slight hill).

This immediately popped the clutch free and allowed easy free spooling after that

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We had some issues freespooling @TWExplor 's winchline this past weekend. We spooled out the winch under power (in bursts), attached the link to an anchor, and with the clutch lever in free spool, allowed the winch line to hold the weight of the vehicle (on a very slight hill).

This immediately popped the clutch free and allowed easy free spooling after that
Let me understand this correctly. It held the vehicle on a slight hill while in freespool, and then easily freespooled after that? I reversed the Grenadier while in freespool all the way to the warning red, and it's still a very hard pull out. I wonder if it's some internal brake issue??? Maybe I'll try to work it in-and-out to see if it gets better.
I think I need to find another G-owner and compare freespool tension. The times I've used a winch it's usually like on a loose, 30 degree slope. I doubt I will be able to pull out the line on my own power...it's that bad in my opinion.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, when we realized that the strength of two people couldn't pull winch line in free spool we re-engaged the clutch and winched the line out. Then connected to an anchor, then re-engaged free spool and slowly let the truck add tension to the line, once tension was on the line the free spool "popped" and after that point, we were able to manually free spool it

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No, when we realized that the strength of two people couldn't pull winch line in free spool we re-engaged the clutch and winched the line out. Then connected to an anchor, then re-engaged free spool and slowly let the truck add tension to the line, once tension was on the line the free spool "popped" and after that point, we were able to manually free spool it
Thanks...That's kinda what I did with mine, just without the "pop". I need to "play with it" some more and maybe "pop its cherry"
So I'm not crazy...that's the kind of force needed for mine, i.e. two people pulling.

tristand

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
Mine was impossible to pull out by hand when set to free spool. I've now used the winch about a dozen times and it is getting looser but still not as easy to pull out as you would expect.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
With regards to any issues with the Red Winches. Please email sales@red-winches.com they will help with any issues that people are having.

By all means post about problems here, but more importantly if and when things are resolved close out the issue so others know what to do if they have the same.

Stu.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Mine is hard to pull out in free spool, but doable.
I use the reverse spooling, much easier!
But to be honest, until now I pulled out the line only 3 times for testing it.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you are winching out for long periods instead of bursts, just know that it is working against the winch brake, and thus putting heat into the drum and winch line. Doing this infrequently or in short bursts (especially with no load) is usually ok, but under load and for longer than a few seconds at a time is a great way to overheat a winch

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You know I have had a winch on my 4WD's for like 30 years and have only used them in earnest a half-dozen times. I just don't get myself into situations where that is the only option. The thing is, when you need it, you want it to work with absolutely no issues. In the interim, I will power-winch out. Ten or so meters of winch line can't overheat the motor much and in my case might free it up.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if red winch needs a break in period. Maybe tight specs make it tough in beginning but as you use it, it loosens up.

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
The winch on my Trialmaster is impossible to freespool.

Back
Top Bottom