The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch wiring Question?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
In models ordered without the winch, is the wiring harness for the winch installed at build if you ask for the high load circuitry?
Do Grenadiers with winches get entirely different wiring harnesses? or is is an easily added dealer option? (which implies the vehicle prewired for the winch)

I ask because, I am adding a winch to my utv, and I have had to install cabling the entire length of the vehicle, as well as dash switch, relay, and contactor.

I hadn't really thought about what pieces might not be installed at factory when I decided against ordering the winch.
It seemed like a huge expense for something I didn't really require.

Same goes for the trailer hitch, which was my oversight. Pre wired? or no?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
In models ordered without the winch, is the wiring harness for the winch installed at build if you ask for the high load circuitry?
Do Grenadiers with winches get entirely different wiring harnesses? or is is an easily added dealer option? (which implies the vehicle prewired for the winch)

I ask because, I am adding a winch to my utv, and I have had to install cabling the entire length of the vehicle, as well as dash switch, relay, and contactor.

I hadn't really thought about what pieces might not be installed at factory when I decided against ordering the winch.
It seemed like a huge expense for something I didn't really require.

Same goes for the trailer hitch, which was my oversight. Pre wired? or no?
Hi there,
I know it for sure for the trailer hitch. If you do not order the trailer hitch, then there is no wiring in the car. You have to do that yourself or get it done by the aftermarket. I am in the same situation here.
I don't know for sure about the winch, but I guess that will be the same answer. Probably no wiring

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trailer hitch, at least in MY23s is not wired if you don't order it; I would assume MY24 will be the same.

From the MY23 vehicles I saw non-winch vehicles have none of the wiring in place; it would seem silly to spend all the money on installing the wiring/relay/logic control for the winch and not having the winch.

Honestly, on the Grenadier, the install shouldn't be too bad for an aftermarket winch, and you don't have to deal with the winch-enabling requirements of the factory set up

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
When you consider the factory wiring the solenoids etc etc as well as the 5 year warrantee the factory winch is a no brainier .Especially as its a RED

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you have selected the HIGH LOAD AUXILIARY SWITCH PANEL & ELECTRICAL PREPARATION there is a connection somewhere for that.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you have selected the HIGH LOAD AUXILIARY SWITCH PANEL & ELECTRICAL PREPARATION there is a connection somewhere for that.
The funny thing is my Belgian dealer Hedin, somewhere in July, asked me "Do you know where that connection is located?" (A customer wanted to know it).
And then he said ... "Ah, OK, you have the winch!" (suddenly he remembered!)

Why did he ask me? He should have asked Ineos!

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Trailer hitch, at least in MY23s is not wired if you don't order it; I would assume MY24 will be the same.

From the MY23 vehicles I saw non-winch vehicles have none of the wiring in place; it would seem silly to spend all the money on installing the wiring/relay/logic control for the winch and not having the winch.

Honestly, on the Grenadier, the install shouldn't be too bad for an aftermarket winch, and you don't have to deal with the winch-enabling requirements of the factory set up
I hate to say I’m too lazy to look for an online wiring diagram.
Winches are easy to install. They have a switch relay, and a high amperage relay called a contactor. And then two large diameter wires that run to the winch. There’s a radio receiver and another relay if you have wireless switching.
it’s just a hassle running those two feeds from the power supply to the winch on a built vehicle. But quite easy to put them in during assembly, and have them there waiting for the customer that wants a dealer added winch.

I don’t know exactly what NATO connectors are, never had a vehicle with those before but they sort of look to me like winch connectors, a high amperage positive and a heavy ground. I think.Again I am not familiar with NATO connectors.
I’m a bit surprised there is no integral brake controller for US builds. The towing capacity has been posted for years.
All addressable, not a complaint
I saw the emergency service worker that stripped out the interior and routed heavy gauge wire to the back already.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw the emergency service worker that stripped out the interior and routed heavy gauge wire to the back already.
As soon as mine arrives I'll add to that list of photo dissections.... I'm planning on adding a good bit of sound/thermal insulation to the entirety of the interior (same time as stereo upgrades), as well as winch (and plenty of other) wiring and adding a Switch Pros SP-9100 to the overhead console

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
As soon as mine arrives I'll add to that list of photo dissections.... I'm planning on adding a good bit of sound/thermal insulation to the entirety of the interior (same time as stereo upgrades), as well as winch (and plenty of other) wiring and adding a Switch Pros SP-9100 to the overhead console
Sometimes it gets a little confusing when people are adding high current devices to their vehicles. DC to DC charge controllers, rear winch Anderson connectors, NATO connectors, seven pin trailer connector’s, brake controllers. Etc.
And then rooftop solar input, lol.
I haven’t stumbled upon anybody working with a variable output alternator yet running a DC to DC controller.
I guess living the van life is not the same as the grenadier life.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
Hi anand, Love to see photos and instructions for your sound/thermal insulation upgrade and especially for the sound system upgrade whenever you do it. DaBull

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OP IIRC, I read that the addition of the winch also includes different springs up front. I’m not sure how it works with the hitch.

I chose the front/rear hitch receiver options. I figure I can mount a detachable winch when I travel or go off-road, and remove it for daily driving. TBH, I don’t have much experience with detachable winches (pros/cons) but it sounded like a good idea🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to seeing what you do to your rig

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
I agree with you @Krabby. If you got the high load panel, you got a 500 amp switch. That would lead me to believe the winch wiring is there.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I hate to say I’m too lazy to look for an online wiring diagram.
Winches are easy to install. They have a switch relay, and a high amperage relay called a contactor. And then two large diameter wires that run to the winch. There’s a radio receiver and another relay if you have wireless switching.
it’s just a hassle running those two feeds from the power supply to the winch on a built vehicle. But quite easy to put them in during assembly, and have them there waiting for the customer that wants a dealer added winch.

I don’t know exactly what NATO connectors are, never had a vehicle with those before but they sort of look to me like winch connectors, a high amperage positive and a heavy ground. I think.Again I am not familiar with NATO connectors.
I’m a bit surprised there is no integral brake controller for US builds. The towing capacity has been posted for years.
All addressable, not a complaint
Sure: Winches are easy to install (I did exactly that with my D90. The "problem" with the Grenadier is that to install a 3rd part winch, you will need to have a bumper built to accomodate it.... Some of the European aftermarket suppliers have done this, but by the time you have got the bumper and winch, changed out the springs to accomodate the extra weight and installed everything, you will have likely spent more than the factory winch. However, a correctly specced aftermarket winch will likely be more capable (longer winch line) and entirely visible (so better spooling, etc.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sure: Winches are easy to install (I did exactly that with my D90. The "problem" with the Grenadier is that to install a 3rd part winch, you will need to have a bumper built to accomodate it.... Some of the European aftermarket suppliers have done this, but by the time you have got the bumper and winch, changed out the springs to accomodate the extra weight and installed everything, you will have likely spent more than the factory winch. However, a correctly specced aftermarket winch will likely be more capable (longer winch line) and entirely visible (so better spooling, etc.
Don't forget the very restrictive laws in Europe... Ineos can't deliver cars not complying to our rules, and if an individual modifies his car, it is up to him, until he has an accident: in that case - if the modifs where the cause off, or only worsened the impact, the owner will be liable.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I find the differing manufacturing standards interesting, and when I look at how manufacturing processes would have to accommodate them, I tip my hat to the people who decided to pursue this project.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Don't forget the very restrictive laws in Europe... Ineos can't deliver cars not complying to our rules, and if an individual modifies his car, it is up to him, until he has an accident: in that case - if the modifs where the cause off, or only worsened the impact, the owner will be liable.
Yup! Vehicle Warranty AND insurance/legal liability! Both factors point towards the OEM solution being the best .....

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi there,
I know it for sure for the trailer hitch. If you do not order the trailer hitch, then there is no wiring in the car. You have to do that yourself or get it done by the aftermarket. I am in the same situation here.
I don't know for sure about the winch, but I guess that will be the same answer. Probably no wiring
Ineos said you can have the hitch added at the dealership no prob.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos said you can have the hitch added at the dealership no prob.
I think dealers are saying all kind of things, but nobody knows if this is true, and in line with the answer coming from Ineos. Actually I would not see any problem to install this at the dealer his workshop, only, Ineos has to deliver the parts.

Back
Top Bottom