The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Factory Winch- yay or nay?

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Greetings!
i’ve been following the IG for a couple of years and had been reading articles and watching videos.
After seeing a Grenadier in person for the first time at SEMA in Vegas a few weeks ago I was convinced one was for me!

I did a test drive with my local dealer yesterday and have been editing my build. Almost ready to submit but the only option I am on the fence with is the front winch. Originally I was against it due to the high cost and low probability of actually using it…. But the Grenadier I drove yesterday was equipped with one and now I’m second guessing it. Don’t want to regret not ordering it. Any strong opinions for or against ordering the winch? The dealer told me about 30% of their current orders have it spec’d.

I’ve never owned a vehicle with a winch so Im not sure if the factory installed one is any good or if the $5K would be better spent aftermarket for one?
I do like the cleanness of having it installed and wired from the factory to the overhead panel.

-Christian

Reactions: Max

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Greetings!
i’ve been following the IG for a couple of years and had been reading articles and watching videos.
After seeing a Grenadier in person for the first time at SEMA in Vegas a few weeks ago I was convinced one was for me!

I did a test drive with my local dealer yesterday and have been editing my build. Almost ready to submit but the only option I am on the fence with is the front winch. Originally I was against it due to the high cost and low probability of actually using it…. But the Grenadier I drove yesterday was equipped with one and now I’m second guessing it. Don’t want to regret not ordering it. Any strong opinions for or against ordering the winch? The dealer told me about 30% of their current orders have it spec’d.

I’ve never owned a vehicle with a winch so Im not sure if the factory installed one is any good or if the $5K would be better spent aftermarket for one?
I do like the cleanness of having it installed and wired from the factory to the overhead panel.

-Christian
I never had a winch, sometimes could have used it, thought "I am getting older", got it. I still didn't use it, but am happy I have it

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Greetings!

-Christian
Hi Christian - welcome aboard. Here is a THREAD from a while back that might help you.

Also - 3-door RRC? Very nice looking. Go to the new member introduction section and tell us all about it!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Ask yourself what are the odds of getting stuck, and the financial and other consequences if you do.
A winch may tempt you to visit places you may not have otherwise!

nmoeder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am not a winch expert. But here is my take. Maybe others will correct me if they know more than me.

My understanding is that the winch was specifically designed for the grenadier. It is smaller berceuse of the smaller confined space. To my knowledge there is no aftermarket currently that would fit.

The winch line is only 30' compared to after market that gets 90' or so. This isn't an issue for me because you can by extension lines and what not. As long as you know what you are doing.

I have a winch on my 4Runner and Jeep. I have used it to rescue people/buddies a few times. I don't consider myself a pro or anything. I always want one because of the type of adventuring that I do (socal and the sierras) and it's helpful to have 1 or 2 within your crew.

I would just evaluate if you really would use one - like you said, that is $$$ that could be spent on other upgrades.

For me, I wanted to go with the factory because I figured that Ineos has tried and tested this in real use. I didn't want to wait for aftermarket to develop.

Hope that helps.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Greetings!

-Christian
Hi Christian, If your going to get a winch, I would recommend getting the one from Grenadier, as it is designed to function seamlessly with the Grenadier. It's not that are not better winches out there, it's just that you are talking another level of crazy with perhaps a new bumper or modification, winch, wiring etc, all of which will likely cost more.
A winch is one of those things that your glad you have one when you need it. There is also the cool fun factor of having one. Keep in mind you will recover a portion of the expense when you go to sell in the future. DaBull

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The INEOS winch, made by UK based Red Winch, is the only one currently available. It is a non-stadard size winch, so it will take time for third parties to make one, if demand is high enough.

Red Winches have a superb reputation.

Reactions: S52

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My take. The first question to answer is whether or not you need any winch. If you rarely go offroad and when you do, you go with other vehicles that are well equipped, then you probably don’t need one. If you go places offroad by yourself it’s a nice insurance policy even if you never need it.

If you decide you actually need/want a winch, the next question is are you going to be using it regularly or is it just a backup insurance policy. Also do your local laws allow aftermarket bars and equipment etc. The actual quality of the RedWinch suppled as OE is excellent but it has sone drawbacks. The rope is short and it is hard to access for maintenance etc. If you have a reasonable prospect of being able to find and have fitted an aftermarket bar and winch and you are likely to need to use it regularly I would probably go aftermarket.

If a neat fit, full factory warranty and safety systems integration is important to you as well as the upgraded front suspension then it starts to swing towards the OE, and it is unlikely in the near future you will get an aftermarket integrated one like the OE. And if you just want it as ocassional use and insurance policy then the OE is a good choice.

I chose to include it, I have had winches before and not needed it to recover myself, but it has been handy for others and other uses but more than anything if I decide to have a little play down a bush track when I am on my own, it’s nice to know I have that up my sleeve. The shorter rope is not ideal butnit can be overcome with winch extension rope and an x-lock and possibly more resetting than you might need for a winch with longer rope.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My take. The first question to answer is whether or not you need any winch. If you rarely go offroad and when you do, you go with other vehicles that are well equipped, then you probably don’t need one. If you go places offroad by yourself it’s a nice insurance policy even if you never need it.

If you decide you actually need/want a winch, the next question is are you going to be using it regularly or is it just a backup insurance policy. Also do your local laws allow aftermarket bars and equipment etc. The actual quality of the RedWinch suppled as OE is excellent but it has sone drawbacks. The rope is short and it is hard to access for maintenance etc. If you have a reasonable prospect of being able to find and have fitted an aftermarket bar and winch and you are likely to need to use it regularly I would probably go aftermarket.

If a neat fit, full factory warranty and safety systems integration is important to you as well as the upgraded front suspension then it starts to swing towards the OE, and it is unlikely in the near future you will get an aftermarket integrated one like the OE. And if you just want it as ocassional use and insurance policy then the OE is a good choice.

I chose to include it, I have had winches before and not needed it to recover myself, but it has been handy for others and other uses but more than anything if I decide to have a little play down a bush track when I am on my own, it’s nice to know I have that up my sleeve. The shorter rope is not ideal butnit can be overcome with winch extension rope and an x-lock and possibly more resetting than you might need for a winch with longer rope.
Yes, in reality when you take into account the electrics, suspension and tailored fit that comes with the OE winch setup, it isn’t excessively dear.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty much agreeing with all the comments above. I have used the winch on my Defender innumerable times, to get myself out of trouble and to help others while overlanding around the States. I have also used it to pull straight a bunch of mango trees in our property after a hurricane! So, I am biased and have specced the Red Winch on my Grenadier. So my thoughts:
- Unless you are specifying lockers (i.e. Trialmaster spec), you are not likely to use your vehicle in situations where a winch is needed.
- The Factory winch is all that is available at the moment. In the future, 3rd parties "may" supply a winch package, but this will require a replacement bumper. No one knows quite how this will effect your warranty if you have a problem (and, indeed, insurance if you have an accident!). and any 3rd party winch install will end up costing pretty much what the fsctory winch costs (and you will have to specify the dual battery/wiring in your specification..... or have a nightmare of wiring up yourself (again with potential warranty problems.....)
- As mentioned, there are some compromises with the factory winch, that were needed to make it compliant with EU regulations. It is less accessible than most people are used to and has a shorter line. But these compromises can be overcome with proper care (and training).
- the big factor in the decision is that the factory install is fully warrantied AND, as DaBull mentioned, having a winch may enhance the resale if and when you decide to part with the vehicle.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind welcome and inputs!

You have me convinced to go ahead and order the factory winch. my build consists of a trialmaster with most of the goodies. This will be my first totally new to me vehicle as I typically have had older vehicles, or slightly used ones. Really looking forward to finally having a no compromise vehicle that is spec‘d out exactly as I would want! :D

I will post a thread in the newbie section and show my ‘75 3 door classic. I am a big RRC fan and have owned several and grew up with them in the family!

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Better to have it and not need it, as opposed to having to need it and not having it.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I opted to pass on the winch with my order. When I spoke with the dealer he said that they can install the factory spec easily as the middle portion of the front bumper is removable and the winch can be fitted with relative ease.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I opted to pass on the winch with my order. When I spoke with the dealer he said that they can install the factory spec easily as the middle portion of the front bumper is removable and the winch can be fitted with relative ease.
First I have heard anyone claim that, and interesting if true.

Couple of points though, if you didn’t opt for the high load electrical preparation its going to be a much bigger retrofit, so if it is possible to retrofit and you think you may want to, then make sure you add electrical prep to your order. And INEOS uses a heavier grade set of front suspension coils if the winch is added so consider that as well.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
For those that have the winch. The images appear to suggest that the winch line does not have a hook but only a loop. Since we do not need a front license plate and there are no government restrictions on the winch, is it feasible/necessary/beneficial to add a Factor 55 shackle mount?

Thank you

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
For those that have the winch. The images appear to suggest that the winch line does not have a hook but only a loop. Since we do not need a front license plate and there are no government restrictions on the winch, is it feasible/necessary/beneficial to add a Factor 55 shackle mount?

Thank you
You can. It has been done. But you need to take care as there is little space between the winch line and the frame. And the spliced loop has a greater diameter. So you must take care not to double back thelast (spliced) part of the line as you cinch up the shackle mount to the fairlead, as it will jam up.
I just bought a Factor 55 Ultrahook (and the rope spool you need to fit it), and am just rethinking if I really want to use it. Stupidly, I bought it directly from Factor 55 and not Amazon, so I cannot return it. If you are interested I can make you a deal!

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
I opted to forgoe the factory winch as it is largely inaccessible. Aftermarket winch bumpers are in development, and I'll be picking one up.
Agree. I was going to get the factory mounted winch but when I saw the fully concealed mounting I have decided to drop this. The winch drum need to be visible to be able to:
  1. See what's happening there,
  2. Be able to clear any mess that one day will occurr.
Also the small drum size is a disadvantage.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thank you
You can. It has been done. But you need to take care as there is little space between the winch line and the frame. And the spliced loop has a greater diameter. So you must take care not to double back thelast (spliced) part of the line as you cinch up the shackle mount to the fairlead, as it will jam up.
I just bought a Factor 55 Ultrahook (and the rope spool you need to fit it), and am just rethinking if I really want to use it. Stupidly, I bought it directly from Factor 55 and not Amazon, so I cannot return it. If you are interested I can make you a deal!
I put a Saber Offroad shackle on mine, and contrary to some advice it does cinch all the way up without jamming.
IMG_5164.jpeg
https://saberoffroad.com/product/al...MI-tSH8KrKggMVGNIWBR3izgmWEAQYCCABEgLuevD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom