The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Factory Winch- yay or nay?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
I opted to pass on the winch with my order. When I spoke with the dealer he said that they can install the factory spec easily as the middle portion of the front bumper is removable and the winch can be fitted with relative ease.
Based on everything I have read elsewhere, I'm not sure that your salesperson is correct. It's my understanding that there were a handful of things that had to be completed at the factory - including the winch.

Nevertheless, I do plan to add an aftermarket one once that gets sorted. It's not a priority for me so in due time it will get squared away.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I have no interest in any hooks or attachments either - freedom winch line all the way.

View: https://youtu.be/u-dDSvajnLw?si=D_1XdXX_teLzf_H4
It is smart to terminate your line with a button splice like he has, but I am not sure how it will stand up to real-world use, Not quite as secure as a loop (as on the Grenadier line) for adding an extension (needed!). And using your winch line directly as a "tree strap" or attaching to a 3rd party vehicle (that may not have an optimised recovery point with sharp edges) is going to put extra wear and potential damage to the line. So if you go that route, you better learn how to do a button termination in the field, or you will be SOL if it fails (my .02!). But, as I said, I am backing away from the fancy Factor 55 ultrahook and going with the loop (and maybe and safety ring inside it for protection) when I attach stuff to it with soft shackles. Mt reasoning is to have the minimum mass in my recovery equipment for safety in the event of failure.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
It is smart to terminate your line with a button splice like he has, but I am not sure how it will stand up to real-world use, Not quite as secure as a loop (as on the Grenadier line) for adding an extension (needed!). And using your winch line directly as a "tree strap" or attaching to a 3rd party vehicle (that may not have an optimised recovery point with sharp edges) is going to put extra wear and potential damage to the line. So if you go that route, you better learn how to do a button termination in the field, or you will be SOL if it fails (my .02!). But, as I said, I am backing away from the fancy Factor 55 ultrahook and going with the loop (and maybe and safety ring inside it for protection) when I attach stuff to it with soft shackles. Mt reasoning is to have the minimum mass in my recovery equipment for safety in the event of failure.
Yes the Bleeping Jeep guy is not a very good role model in the demonstration. Wrapping a winch line around a tree leads to injury of the tree and lifting your Jeep with a winch is just plain dumb. Who knows how he attached it in order to lift it.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This setup has been used for years by Matt's off-road recovery, and has yet to fail.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I opted for the winch. This and the freedom winch line video that @junx posted are worth the watch before you start buying gear for your Grenadier. I never thought having a winch was necessary for me until I got stuck on a snowy and icy trail where no one could get to me for many hours. I haven’t needed to pull myself out of a mess since but the winch has gotten a lot of use helping others.

View: https://youtu.be/d4MahgWnieo?si=JaBMS4Ic7Fr7MTSG

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I opted for the winch. This and the freedom winch line video that @junx posted are worth the watch before you start buying gear for your Grenadier. I never thought having a winch was necessary for me until I got stuck on a snowy and icy trail where no one could get to me for many hours. I haven’t needed to pull myself out of a mess since but the winch has gotten a lot of use helping others.

View: https://youtu.be/d4MahgWnieo?si=JaBMS4Ic7Fr7MTSG
All these wonderful "gizmos" and techniques you pull of Youtube are really not the way to learn about off-road recovery.
I strongly recommend that you go to a recovery class put on by a qualified (as in certified by I4WDTA) instructor, not some good ol' boy pushing his ideas through Youtube.
Better still , hook up with Bill Burke himself (the founder of I4WDTA)

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All these wonderful "gizmos" and techniques you pull of Youtube are really not the way to learn about off-road recovery.
I strongly recommend that you go to a recovery class put on by a qualified (as in certified by I4WDTA) instructor, not some good ol' boy pushing his ideas through Youtube.
I agree with you 100%, however, my point wasn’t about how to recover. It was about what one can use with the Red winch with synthetic line.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't he on YouTube?

I'm not discounting the value of hands on classes - but assertions that you can't learn anything about recovery techniques from knowledgeable instruction on YouTube is pretty silly.

I think the truth is that both are useful - and I think we would agree that there is no substitute for experience.

Last edited:

retater

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Greetings!
i’ve been following the IG for a couple of years and had been reading articles and watching videos.
After seeing a Grenadier in person for the first time at SEMA in Vegas a few weeks ago I was convinced one was for me!

I did a test drive with my local dealer yesterday and have been editing my build. Almost ready to submit but the only option I am on the fence with is the front winch. Originally I was against it due to the high cost and low probability of actually using it…. But the Grenadier I drove yesterday was equipped with one and now I’m second guessing it. Don’t want to regret not ordering it. Any strong opinions for or against ordering the winch? The dealer told me about 30% of their current orders have it spec’d.

I’ve never owned a vehicle with a winch so Im not sure if the factory installed one is any good or if the $5K would be better spent aftermarket for one?
I do like the cleanness of having it installed and wired from the factory to the overhead panel.

-Christian
GET THE WINCH! No aftermarket available! Have already needed it but was with a group all who have them on their jeeps. They love my Grenadier but laughed their ass off at me for not ordering the factory one.

Reactions: S52
Local time
Reaction score
:cry: Oh please. So much for the rugged individualist Texans! That was an opportunity to demonstrate your recovery skills and show them what you’re made of! Besides, there are pre made bumpers coming out that can take a standard winch, OR, if you can’t wait or want something really nice and unique, go to a shop that can fab. A warn is 1000 bucks. That leaves 4000 to pay a skilled welder for T$M .

Last edited:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I went with the winch, I also picked up 50 foot 7/16" Winch Line Extention from Yankum rope. This will get more than enough lead. I can link with double loop soft shackles or Safe-Xtrack X-Lock SX-2000X. One thing they tell you to get max power from winch you do not wan that much rope on barrel so I was ok with go with this winch and extension.

Remember this kit had update springs, so you need add this to your costs with different bumper and winch.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
There are only 2 things I refuse to leave the pavement with out. Rock Sliders and a Winch. I went factory. Its a bad ass winch of extreme durability and I believe speed. Its well set up, sadly with too short a line. But its clean, the wiring and everything else will be right. Our Four Runner took 6,000.00 to add a winch, which stopped any further mods and the search for another rig.

Reactions: S52

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
There are only 2 things I refuse to leave the pavement with out. Rock Sliders and a Winch. I went factory. Its a bad ass winch of extreme durability and I believe speed. Its well set up, sadly with too short a line. But its clean, the wiring and everything else will be right. Our Four Runner took 6,000.00 to add a winch, which stopped any further mods and the search for another rig.

Side bar:
Curious how you got your build date estimate? My order number is 26,XXX and the site just shows a Q3 2024 estimated delivery…

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went factory winch for a couple of reasons. In the past when I have looked at adding aftermarket winches it was pretty clear that the mounts and modifications needed (perhaps not all but certainly in my cases) nullified the air bag sensors (and on newer vehicles probably other safety items). The factory set up meets all safety regs and since a lot of driving is on road in my case that is important. Other factors such as cooling, electrical integrity etc are all factored in by the manufacturer. I am not saying aftermarket cannot do this, but I am pretty confident that not all aftermarket companies have the money and testing facilities to do this.

Also talking to an unnamed contact that works for Warn they had nothing but great things to say about the Red Winch and thought it would be nuts not to get it. I know it is expensive and one will likely need an extension but at the end of the day it is a lot more than just the price of a winch.

Back
Top Bottom