The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering failure

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it sounds like someone like DCPU needs to do a breakdown of how to disconnect the steering damper for dummies collage. I'm sitting here wondering, "What's a steering damper, precious?"
😂
If you're disconnecting steering parts before continuing to drive, you definitely want to be sure you have the right thing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As a potential buyer I am watching these types of threads very closely
I want a IG to do remote travel in Australia, most certainly not the environment where a unreliable car is an option…
I hope it gets sorted quickly and you can be on your trip ASAP
For fans of Christian and Vera:
Screenshot_20230716_070303_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/ZbBot1r15lY

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
A larger steering wheel helps enormously. In the 60's and 70's the steering wheels were larger although the cars did have power steering. If the worst came to the worst, it was possible to continue driving without servo support.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
😂
If you're disconnecting steering parts before continuing to drive, you definitely want to be sure you have the right thing.
It's easy to see, it presents itself on the R/H drive models
1689489205172.png

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I want that to be true but the truth is we really don't know.

That would suppose that symptoms such as solid/seized/jammed steering is all down to the steering damper and if the electrics go at speed, it's impossible to turn a corner in the road?
Agree that we don’t know. I don’t think the seized steering is due to the damper, just that the damper will make steering harder if the electric assistance fails. And yes, there is real danger if steering fails at speed, not suggesting this is a good thing, but the original discussion is what would you do out in the bush is this issue occurred and by removing the damper a good chance you can get back to somewhere you can seek proper help. More air in the front tyres also probably helps a bit, over inflate them.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but unfortunately won't solve the limp mode issue on the road, but I do understand what you're saying 🙂
Not sure what you mean by limp mode? Have not seen any discussion that it was in limp mode, just that steering assistance failed.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A larger steering wheel helps enormously. In the 60's and 70's the steering wheels were larger although the cars did have power steering. If the worst came to the worst, it was possible to continue driving without servo support.
My 69 e-type has no power steering and a relatively large wheel. When I bought it it had wider tyres on it and it was very hard to steer but changed back to original size and much better, but it is still a bit of a workout at low speeds.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
He can probably post it to Facebook from his dashboard but doing so will trigger a fault and the AA man will be back to get his Range Rover any minute now.
I’d be very surprised if the guy in the flash Mercedes with number plate —-WAX who was so dismissive of the Grenadier telling me it’s a kit car as it was being unloaded doesn’t post somewhere on social media as he was taking lots of pictures and generally taking the piss .

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Removing the damper will somewhat lighten the steering but with hydraulic systems it will still be difficult to steer as you're now moving fluid through the box manually (he said from 5000 miles away without a Grenadier to confirm with).

It's unlikely that three Gateway Control Modules have failed in a row due to manufacturing errors. Possible but unlikely. In no particular order I would think these are the possible causes:

1) Mechanical binding in the system is causing the module to work too hard and burn out - especially after a longer drive when the vehicle is stopped or turned off and there's no active or passive cooling. This could be swivel/knuckle bearings or tie rod ends (TREs) or the steering box itself. It would not think it to be in the steering shaft or steering wheel bearings as those are above the steering box and any problems would be felt all the time. Maybe there's a steering shaft U-joint that's out of spec and contributing but, again, I would think that would be happening frequently and while driving to boot.

2) An intermittent electrical short to the Gateway Control Module - possibly heat related - somewhere in the wiring is shutting it down. Finding that is a process to be sure.

3) If the module's operation is software related then a bug or PCM failure could be the cause.

I'm no expert but I thought I'd throw these out as a way to start eliminating the obvious. You could have something I am not smart enough to consider. HTH.
I would like to add that one Gateway control module was replaced as this was thought to be the cause of the problems when the failure happened the second time. This was thought to be the solution by reading error codes and checking everything thoroughly as when at the dealership the first and second time the power steering worked ok and despite various test drives didn’t throw a fault again. This time however the steering still has the fault when arriving at the dealers and one of the Harwoods guys tried to park it after unloading and can attest that the problem exists and is in fact still there.
when I had a check over with AA tech , he took a cap off the power steering fluid reservoir and stated that if the power steering pump was working you would see vibration/movement in the power steering fluid. I’ve had no mechanical binding or issues in fact the steering I find is really good including at speed and my 1 1/2 hr journey prior to this fault was a pleasure to drive.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle didn’t go into limp mode just no power steering
I mentioned your power steering failure to one of the Ineos guys here at the 4x4 show in Sydney today, he was quite surprised to say the least! Hopefully it gets the problem on their radar and they can keep an eye out for it.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned your power steering failure to one of the Ineos guys here at the 4x4 show in Sydney today, he was quite surprised to say the least! Hopefully it gets the problem on their radar and they can keep an eye out for it.
Let’s hope so. 👍🏼

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but what else could/would you buy now that's hasn't got the same risk. The 76 was the only other contender I did the sums on but a bung knee drew me to the auto in the Gren. The 76 budget came up to $115k which included, Recaros, bullbar etc, rear axle kit & castor work after a lift.
An owner has just completed 3000ks on an Anne Beadell trip (the corrugations are pure evil 👹) & another has done 10,000k towing including offroad. Standard bings & bongs but nothing that bought them to a halt. Encouraging.
Excellent!

Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle didn’t go into limp mode just no power steering

The PAS uses an electric pump doesn't it ?
Does the pump run when the engine is running or only on demand, when steering input is detected ?

I see it uses a recirculating ball so I assume the pump simply provides a higher pressure to the side that wants to push the balls through the worm gear ?
Can you steer the car at all whilst the engine isn't running (for example moving it around the driveway) ?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The PAS uses an electric pump doesn't it ?
Does the pump run when the engine is running or only on demand, when steering input is detected ?

I see it uses a recirculating ball so I assume the pump simply provides a higher pressure to the side that wants to push the balls through the worm gear ?
Can you steer the car at all whilst the engine isn't running (for example moving it around the driveway) ?
Yes electric pump. I’m no mechanic so I don’t really understand this stuff only what i have learnt on the internet. To be quite honest I haven’t tried turning the steering whilst engine is not running and it’s at the dealers now so can’t try. 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom