The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering failure

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Have you done any investigation yourself?
A bad plug somewhere? This kind of thing can be a nightmare, often dealers will just keep replacing parts until the fault goes away, the problem is if its intermittent then they haven’t necessarily fixed it. Sounds like the case here.
The AA tech had a good check over but nothing he could find.

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Shipping to South Africa has been delayed by two weeks so Ineos have got time to sort it although I’m running out of time to get the vehicle sorted ! I was on my way to get an awning fitted but that won’t happen now. If this doesn’t get sorted and my travel plans are ruined then I’ll make some noise. Ineos need to be jumping all over this to get it sorted.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
This is really very bad. The only comfort for everyone except you, is that so far there have been no other reports of this anywhere on FB or forums. Hopefully for the rest of us you have a fault specific to your car. If it is the gateway module again sounds like there may be another electrical fault somewhere that is killing your module.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Shipping to South Africa has been delayed by two weeks so Ineos have got time to sort it although I’m running out of time to get the vehicle sorted ! I was on my way to get an awning fitted but that won’t happen now. If this doesn’t get sorted and my travel plans are ruined then I’ll make some noise. Ineos need to be jumping all of this to get it sorted.

I would say the potential negative publicity could do INEOS a lot of harm. Imagine what you could write if the trip was cancelled or positive news if it does? Lean on them, my major concern would be on the trip, if it happens again (get some guarantees they will rescue you, when out there, as my confidence would be quite low at the moment).

I would be interested if this is an isolated case? Amended - as it was a brake failure I read on FB not steering!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would say the potential negative publicity could do INEOS a lot of harm. Imagine what you could write if the trip was cancelled or positive news if it does? Lean on them, my major concern would be on the trip, if it happens again (get some guarantees they will rescue you, when out there, as my confidence would be quite low at the moment).

I would be interested if this is an isolated case, as I am sure I read something similar on FB, which is certainly a safety issue.
My employers are newspaper publishers and also digital media in a big way so plenty of potential for good or bad publicity depending how this turns out.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My employers are newspaper publishers and also digital media in a big way so plenty of potential for good or bad publicity depending how this turns out.
Sorry to read your woes Logsplitter. What a complete klusterfluck. I hope you get it sorted asap and off on your travels.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mention David Blackhall to hardwoods. He's the man to sort yours out. He's been out to mine and spent two hours here with me, seems a top bloke and has been heavily involved in hard way home and adventure prep etc. He's going to do all the work on mine once the "updates" are ready, at a special base near to Corby. I think they prepare the expedition stuff there.
Ineos will I hope be all over this, it could be a make or break moment for them and all those customers waiting in line!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
I’m sorry to read again that you’re dealing with this issue @Logsplitter and hopefully IA come through with another truck. The one potential silver lining is if this was destined to happen again, better a few miles from home than a few DAYS. It sucks for certain, but I can’t imagine how potentially dangerous a breakdown in the middle of nowhere could be for you and your family.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As my Grenadier gets loaded onto the AA lorry a guy in a very smart Range Rover is gloating and taking pictures I imagine it will be all over Facebook later. 😂Although I don’t do Facebook IMG_1992.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: CB

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
As my Grenadier gets loaded onto the AA lorry a guy in a very smart Range Rover is gloating and taking pictures I imagine it will be all over Facebook later. 😂Although I don’t do Facebook View attachment 7820099
Don't worry about it! The guy who drove the Range Rover was certainly just as smart as his car.;)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Shame you've gone ~ you could have asked if he's had last week's recall done ~ you wouldn't want him going up in flames before he had a chance to download the photos:
Screenshot_20230715_155450.jpg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another interesting interaction at Harwoods in Portsmouth as my Grenadier was being unloaded from the AA lorry. A guy with a very flash Mercedes car who had been in the showroom to browse, asked if the Grenadier was mine , when I said yes it was he replied that’s my fault for buying a kit car 😳. Guess he won’t be buying or had any intention of buying a Grenadier. What a tosser and his number plate had some numbers then WAX 😂😂😂
On a more positive note the guys at Harwoods have been real empathetic and helpful I have been given a demo Grenadier to use for now whilst a longer term loan car is sourced for me until mine is fixed.
Getting recovered by the AA not such a good experience in my view although the technician and the recovery driver were really great. What was not so good was the 4 1/2 hr wait to get the vehicle picked and taken to Harwoods and then again trying to organise the courtesy car initially through a very helpful AA lady but then through Enterprise who have the contract to supply the hire cars. They close at mid day on a Saturday and after many calls from various people including the AA who were trying to help I gave up as I did with last breakdown. At least Harwoods came up trumps and gave me a demo car so I could get home.
IMG_1993.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
As a potential buyer I am watching these types of threads very closely
I want a IG to do remote travel in Australia, most certainly not the environment where a unreliable car is an option…
I hope it gets sorted quickly and you can be on your trip ASAP

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I want a IG to do remote travel in Australia, most certainly not the environment where a unreliable car is an option…
Agreed, although 2 things help, first is that this does seem to be isolated so far. Second is that disconnecting the steering damper is an easy job on the track and would allow you to get out of trouble.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Agreed, although 2 things help, first is that this does seem to be isolated so far. Second is that disconnecting the steering damper is an easy job on the track and would allow you to get out of trouble.
Unfortunately, it sounds like someone like DCPU needs to do a breakdown of how to disconnect the steering damper for dummies collage. I'm sitting here wondering, "What's a steering damper, precious?"

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A handful of Aussies (the lucky early adopters) have already driven their car out of the showroom , +/- towing , and headed 1000s of km into the outback.
No issues at all.
Are you going to wait for the first CSR?Simpson traverse?

Local time
Reaction score
A handful of Aussies (the lucky early adopters) have already driven their car out of the showroom , +/- towing , and headed 1000s of km into the outback.
No issues at all.
Are you going to wait for the first CSR?Simpson traverse?
No but I am going to wait to see how these and the multiple electrical issues plus the mythical software update all pan out.
I would be more than happy to be the first to do the CSR in a IG but that doesn’t mean I would be happy forking out 100k on a lemon

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but what else could/would you buy now that's hasn't got the same risk. The 76 was the only other contender I did the sums on but a bung knee drew me to the auto in the Gren. The 76 budget came up to $115k which included, Recaros, bullbar etc, rear axle kit & castor work after a lift.
An owner has just completed 3000ks on an Anne Beadell trip (the corrugations are pure evil 👹) & another has done 10,000k towing including offroad. Standard bings & bongs but nothing that bought them to a halt. Encouraging.

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_105030.jpg
    IMG_20230716_105030.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom