The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Passenger side Grab Handle: Part numbers and prices

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Will it effect the airbag operation?
Good question - I think it was discussed in another thread, but the outcome was that it would be beside a curtain airbag, but should be OK. But that was forum conjecture and nothing official from IA.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
In terms of RHD, I don't need one to get into the drivers seat, I've always used the steering wheel. UNLESS getting in is tight (door not all the way open for example), then the pillar grab handle is very handy. The one up top will do the job, just not as well.
A grab handle on the pillar for the passengers is however very much generally required on a vehicle this tall, and luckily it's supplied in the RHD.

I found getting into the back seats a bit of a PITA without grab handles though, and this is where I reckon getting them retrofitted would be worth it if you had people getting in and out of the back all the time..

Yes, you can use the door, or the top handles, or the body frame, or the seat or the roof rails or whatever at a pinch, but for the extra $30 it would have cost to install handles in the rear to give a much better entry, it would have been worth it.
Would this work? They use them in Jeeps.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In terms of RHD, I don't need one to get into the drivers seat, I've always used the steering wheel. UNLESS getting in is tight (door not all the way open for example), then the pillar grab handle is very handy. The one up top will do the job, just not as well.
A grab handle on the pillar for the passengers is however very much generally required on a vehicle this tall, and luckily it's supplied in the RHD.

I found getting into the back seats a bit of a PITA without grab handles though, and this is where I reckon getting them retrofitted would be worth it if you had people getting in and out of the back all the time..

Yes, you can use the door, or the top handles, or the body frame, or the seat or the roof rails or whatever at a pinch, but for the extra $30 it would have cost to install handles in the rear to give a much better entry, it would have been worth it.
I think it may obstruct the curtain airbag unless it folds completely flat or recessed.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will it effect the airbag operation?
I presume for LHD vehicles there is a passenger handle in exactly the spot we're discussing for RHD? And there's a passenger handle on the LH A-pillar in RHD vehicles. Airbags in both LHD and RHD.
If these suppositions are both true then it seems the lack of a driver's side handle in either configuration is either a cost saving.... or there is a safety concern which is not readily apparent to us mere mortals. 🤔

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
I suppose i should have phased it better as a question! ‘does the handle..’
i was thinking more about design regulations being very picky about possible obstruction. Years ago we were not allowed anything on windscreens at all for that reason; now people stick their phones on giant bracket right in view, to manage uber or whatever other distrations… seems to have changed one way or another. Anyway, you have a car, do you think it would be noticeable during turns on the drivers side?
That's what I meant: If you sit in the passenger seat, you have the exact view as the driver had with the handle on his side.

IMO it's not in the way as it points more to the driver/passenger direction than sideways.

Just wait for your car or a test drive and have a look.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I presume for LHD vehicles there is a passenger handle in exactly the spot we're discussing for RHD? And there's a passenger handle on the LH A-pillar in RHD vehicles. Airbags in both LHD and RHD.
If these suppositions are both true then it seems the lack of a driver's side handle in either configuration is either a cost saving.... or there is a safety concern which is not readily apparent to us mere mortals. 🤔
Driver’s side handle probably omitted because it partially encroaches on the corner view out the windscreen. I still think the addition of this extra handle on the driver’s side may compromise roadworthiness in some jurisdictions.

I posted a photo in another thread showing this.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, you can use the door, or the top handles, or the body frame, or the seat or the roof rails or whatever at a pinch
or just jump in or have something like this ....

spring.jpg

... but we're not any more so young and getting older every day. I don't want to ruin my back or whatever will fail first.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Driver’s side handle probably omitted because it partially encroaches on the corner view out the windscreen. I still think the addition of this extra handle on the driver’s side may compromise roadworthiness in some jurisdictions.

I still think it’s a cost issue. I have quite similar handles in my VW T6 which makes me think that it cannot be a compliance thing.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Will never understand why Ineos didn't just put one in on a high vehicle like this, and why are they so bulky!? The Ranger has them on both sides and more slimline.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-01-00-30-01-144.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-07-01-00-30-01-144.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 62

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Will never understand why Ineos didn't just put one in on a high vehicle like this, and why are they so bulky!? The Ranger has them on both sides and more slimline.
They want them to last for 30 years , not 10

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score

That's what I was told at a drive enent when I asked why no handle for LHD drivers. Funny, I didn't notice the handle being an issue when I went to sit in the passenger seat. Forgot about it completely.

A handle could be fashioned that wouldn't block visibility + airbag but it might cause some clearance issues if you're still holding it when you shut the door.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
As the airbags are universal there should be no affect on the deployment of the airbag operation.
I'm sure someone posted photos of the two trim panels removed and the airbags were visible and looked different (different colours?) for each side?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think that everyone should make their anger about such rip-offs clear to the agents.

You don't even have to have ordered anything specific. A question like this, why the published prices for a handle are so insane, and whether you have to expect similar experiences for your own spare parts, would certainly not be a bad idea from my point of view.

The agents should know that we are sensitive and, above all, well networked.

Sometimes they give the derogatory response that this is just forum chatter.

In such a case, I regularly reply that it would be helpful if real figures were also taken seriously. We are not here on Facebook, but in a global forum of Grenadier owners and buyers of predominantly mature age, who do not tell each other fairy tales.

And we strictly expect to be taken seriously.

Back
Top Bottom