The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Overlanding/Camping why attached to SUV?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
When it comes to SUVs, I understand the awnings and the cargo area kitchens on slide outs. When it comes to sleeping tents, the ones on top make maybe sense to me to keep wildlife at a bit of a stand-off. But especially when it comes to tents, is there some legality that makes it better to have attached to the SUV than freestanding? Like it isn't 'camping' if it is attached to the vehicle? Or lets you use different areas to set-up?

Is it that the attached ones are just that much more easy to set?

Been watching a lot of overlanding/camping videos around SUVs. I wish my kids had an ASMR setting when they were little.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
They keep you drier (when it's drneching rain and the ground around is sodden) and obviously crocs can't climb ladders (though snakes can , they usually don't)
Roof tents are good until you need to descend at night for a pee.
Good luck getting your wife/GF to love this aspect.
Plus , with a RTT you can't just leave camp and drive off .
Pluses and minuses both ways.
We have options : a swag tent , a RTT and a campervan on its way (includes ensuite, but ladies and even gents like some comfort , privacy and cleanliness)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
RTT vs. traditional tent:
  1. Unfold instead of building up
  2. The surface doesn't matter, rocky / muddy / wet / sandy ground is no problem
  3. no water ingress from surface water. Fewer creepy crawlies in the tent
  4. Quickly stowed away again.
Legally: In Germany it's already camping if you just unfold and place a chair in front of your car because you want to eat something. Although this regulation is not always applied, it gives every stuffed-shirt a means of exerting pressure. 🤮

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, there is NO way that my wife would be joining me. I might be able to do this to support my nature photography hobby, but she is a hotel person, not even a motel person…. Bears (now wolves?) would be the main concerns here in CO, with snakes and people being an issue, depending on the local.

My daughter plays HS sports so watching sports and tailgating and team breakfasts after morning practice at her Jeep are a potential for cargo kitchens.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We upgraded our RTT mattress to a self inflating one , thicker than the original, still packs down with the tent - however for our middle aged frames it is still uncomfortable and next trip we will try sticking yoga mats underneath.
The reality of RTTs is that for most middle aged and above , the romantic experience porttayed in the commercials and you tubes vids does not meet the expectation of not wanting to live like a homeless person ;)
You won't see many people over 50 clambering on top of the Grenadier, especially in the rain/snow.
PS we have a hybrid camper on the way , with internal ensuite...we're not getting any younger.

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
As folk age-out of the RTT, a tear drop trailer is a good alternative. The Grenadier will pull a tear drop effortlessly, and ingress/egress is much easier than with a RTT. Only downside is that the off-road models get pretty pricey. There are a whole bunch of pros and cons when comparing a trailer to a RTT, but if safety of ingress/egress is a primary concern, the trailer wins hands down.

There are now hundreds of options; I was really happy with Timberleaf out of Colorado Springs (image from their website below).

timberleaf.jpg

There are tons of reviews of tear drop trailers online, here is just one:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As folk age-out of the RTT, a tear drop trailer is a good alternative.
We looked at those but decided after 60 , comfort is deserved!
Especially on longer trips where you might like to keep clean.
Teardrops are for the 50-60 yo ageing outs 😀
And single men.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We went from a Coleman ground tent, to a Gazelle T4, to a T4 Overland, to a hardshell RTT; then switched to a bigger vehicle and moved the RTT to it; then switched to an AT Overland Atlas (pop up truck topper), and finally to our 4x4 Sprinter.

I'm posting this while relaxing across our 66x80 bed surface, the heater is keeping it a comfy 68F in here (it is currently 10F, feels like -4F here in Colorado). When we were in Alaska surrounded by countless mosquitoes, and we got to our camp site, all I did was get up and walk into the back. Never had to step outside, never had to pop a tent up, etc. Just like @Jeffrey we are fully self sufficient with all the comforts of home shy of a shower.

I fully plan on doing trips and traveling in the Grenadier, but for trips where serious off road use isn't needed, the Sprinter (or van setup) is outstanding. The only thing I think that would replace it would be a truck-based camper with a cab pass through.

Nearly all of our travel involves moving to a new place everyday (except for a few weekends a year where we are at an event with friends); so the RTT/vehicle attached camping has never bothered us. Some of our friends much prefer the "I'm here for 2-4 days" style, and in that case, a ground tent or trailer may work better. Same reason why we stopped putting awnings on vehicles, we never spend enough time to justify setting it up or hanging out outside for extended periods.

We also realized that when we are 2500+ miles from home, and solo, we aren't doing anything super technical to take advantage of our previously built travel vehicles.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For you camping on the ground and in a tent weenies, here's your solution. This is my 4x4 Sprinter set up for expedition and decent off road travel. Heater, refrigerator, fresh water, microwave, comfy bed, table, and everything else.
View attachment 7839291
View attachment 7839292
View attachment 7839293
View attachment 7839294
If it were available, I'd seriously consider such a vehicle. Seems different from the Sprinter versions on the road in Aus.
What engine choices do you have in the US?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For you camping on the ground and in a tent weenies, here's your solution. This is my 4x4 Sprinter set up for expedition and decent off road travel. Heater, refrigerator, fresh water, microwave, comfy bed, table, and everything else.
View attachment 7839291
I'm guessing not too many river crossings and bogholes where you go? :p
That's a strictly blacktop vehicle where we live!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What engine choices do you have in the US?
Through MY22 the 4x4 was only available with the 3.0L diesel V6... MY23 started the new "all wheel drive" system (no low range, primarily RWD until slippage, etc) with the new twin turbo 4 cyl diesel
I'm guessing not too many river crossings and bogholes where you go? :p
Deepest river crossing for ours has probably been in the range of 700mm, but it has spent plenty of time in mud (not "bogholes" though)
PXL_20220714_044959892-01.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There is mud ... and there is mud!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anand, you must have a more flattering picture of your van than that! But, I like it.
Ehhhh maybe a few here and there, but honestly I forget to take pictures of it most of the time. That photo was in Prudhoe Bay, AK; it looked much worse the next day when we got back to Fairbanks

Back
Top Bottom